EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

Captain Smurf

The truth of his crime must be judged by the courts.
If he said things he shouldn't have said, he should apologise.
"in vino veritas" - possibly - but also "tired and emotional" - possibly.
And I cannot help feeling that there are many in the media and in the film industry who are gleefully using this opportunity to their own ends

George

From http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/terminology/who_lexicon/en/

alcoholic paranoia (F10.5) A type of alcohol-induced psychotic disorder in which delusions of a self-referential or persecutory nature are prominent.

Suze

Sad huh...a fantastic career, multi-millions in the bank, a wonderful family...yet this alcoholism in the background? Mel deserves to be ashamed for driving when drunk. The derogative comments about Jews have obviously upset people. However, I don't think he should even try to apologise to all Jews. A sincere private apology was appropriate for the police he made the comments to. With the amazing response to this issue from the Jewish people - I'm starting to wonder if Jewish people may need to undergo some desensitising about slurs made against their culture?? As an Aboriginal woman here in Australia, derogative comments about my culture and my people are an everyday expectation for me. What if I stopped and protested at every slur launched at me?? I would get nothing else done in life. Whether someone is drunk or they are sober - ignore derogatory comments, smile, get on with life and do as much good as you can for others!!! There is no need to crucify Mel Gibson over his remarks, he did not make those remarks to a public audience, he apologised to the individuals he insulted - that's enough. Leave the man to seek rehabilitation needs in private - and wish him well. THAT is forgiveness.
*peace*

Louise

Dear Mel,

HOW YA FEELING NOW BOZO-BALLS???? (insane laughter)

Signed,

SUGAR-TITS

Just wanted to drop in a little levity and hopefully brevity over this crazy circus.
Time for all of us to buy a life...I hear they are on sale at GALL-MART!!!

rob

about mel gibson,
who gives a fuck

Ruth

I'm so glad to see the world is willing to bend all ration thinking to excuse the the illegal actions of some jag just because he's an actor. And I'd like to know if all the people defending him would be willing to ignore his actions if it was your daughter or son he killed while driving drunk. I mean it was only 0.12 right well if it were a great actor would you bend to maybe 0.22.

Henry Moore

As far as special treatment go's, they let Mel Gibson have a staged Mug Shot Photo Op. How can this be proved? Photos of Mr. Gibson taken at Moon Shadows only moments before his arrest show him wearing a differant shirt than his Mug Shot. Today the charges against Mr. Gibson will be announced or dropped. There are three separate criminal offenses that are fact. Drunk driving by admission and test, speeding by admission and police testimony, and resisting arrest. How can they not charge him???

Raquel Greenwald

Gibson will finally die of cirrhosis of the liver and even better smashed, in his car, against a utiliy pole. It is amazing and sad to see how many Americans, after all these years, are still as anti-semitic as he and his father are.

Jeff

First off, I would never even attempt to condone DUI. If the facts in deed prove Mr. Gibson was driving under the influence then he should be punished like anyone else. But he should also be treated like anyone else in relation to all of this media furor. If 99.9% of the population was busted for DUI it would be unusual to see it in the local paper, let alone in news reports all over the world. He should be tried in the courts, not the media.

In my mind the worst part of this whole thing is the double standard being exhibited by some members of the entertainment community. As far as I know there are several members of the entertainment community that are well known for various displays of 'Under the Influence' behaviors on a repeated basis. The media commonly exposes their behavior in order to sell papers, air time, etc., but this is the first time I believe I've seen it try and end someone's career.

Will it? I hope not. Mr. Gibson has made a substantial contribution to entertainment and I have enjoyed several of his works. As a matter of fact, I almost refused to see "The Passion" because most of the time religious themes are handled very poorly by entainment industry. It generally seems as though it must be more profitable to make fun of us or degrade us than try and entertain us. I was very impressed and moved by 'The Passion' and with very few exceptions found it scripturally accurate given my understanding of reading the Bible. Was it anti-semantic? From my perspective, it was no more so than the Bible itself. But I will also say I am not Jewish so I would not be as sensitive to it as someone who had dealt with these types of issues before. If in fact there are issues here, let Mr. Gibson and the Jewish Community work them out, they don't need the rest of us involved.

If I remember my Bible correctly, it was Christ himself who said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Have any of us ever said or done any we regret? Probably. Do those that are trying to generate such a furor really have a rightous right to do so? I doubt it. I suspect it is more motivated by profit than rightousness. Maybe we should each worry more about the problems we have in our own lives and leave Mr. Gibson, the Jewish Community and the courts to settle this one.

allen hackett

From a Black mans prespective all this controversy about Mel Gibsons anti-semetic remarks are nothing to be considered seriously. He's not the first and he won't be the last. The world has more important issues at hand than what 's going on in Hollywood. As far as his futureis concerned, he might consider keeping his mouth shut when he's drunk. In addition to saying to hell with Hollywood. He's enough money. The Black community is furtile with the real talent in this country anyway. That's the place where Mel can express himself openly and do something that is truly worthy of all this attention and money. The Hood welcomes you Mel.

I am Not kathy

It is a sad thing that people are anti-semetic, racist, and self righteous like Mel Gibeson. It makes me sad to know that so many christians adore him. Let a righteous man spread the words of our Saviior, not a drunk driver who has so much misguided hate. I think he should focus inwards, and try to gain a sense of respect and love for his fellow man. It is not all his fault that he is the way he is, I heard his father is a misguided person too. However he should learn to overcome that and become a person worthy of spreading the Word of God, not a deluded and angry man with respect and authority issues.
He put himself in the position to be publicly scrutinized, and that was his choice, so people who are saying that less attention should be paid need to think hard about the ramifications of being an outspoken celebrity.

Johnson

So if I drive drunk & get caught - I get a DUI, probably extreme....Now If I got money pouring out of my ass then I get Dozens of get out of jail free cards...Funk this society!!!

Mavis Swan

Everyone's missing the point. Mel was drunk driving. He could have killed someone. In California if you're caught drunk driving you go to jail, you have to do community service, like pick up trash on the highway, you have to go to group counseling, you have to take special classes, I know a lady who had two glasses of wine, was driving four blocks to her house, was pulled over for a burnt out tail light, arrested, sent to jail and humiliated by having to do the above work but, she'll never ever drink even one glass of wine and drive again. Just because you have a lot of money or are famous doesn't give you the right to be above the law and get away with things you and I would be in JAIL for.
This isn't Mel's first time drunk driving and I do not feel sorry for him, he should have his driving privilages revoked.

Chris

Mel Gibson may have been baptized a Catholic, but he is no longer a "real" Catholic. He is a schismatic that rejects Vatican II--which includes Nostra Aetate (the document about the Church's relationship with the Jewish people). The masses held at the "church" on his property are not approved by Cardinal Mahoney. There is a group of bishops (called SSPX-Society of St. Pius X) who hold the same beliefs as Mel and they were all excommunicated by John Paul II. They have a parallel church structure, but are not part of the Catholic church. I am not a canon lawyer, but if Mel is a member of SSPX, it may be that he is considered to have excommunicated himself.

Jew Boy Nate

I think for one night we should close down the PCH to all regular traffic, and let Mel drink as much tequila as he wants and drive the PCH as fast as he pleases without any one stopping him.It's the least we can do to thank, and honor him for his great contributions to our culture.

Previous 15 Comments | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments