EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

Bob Concilio

Mel, we all have our crosses to bear.

jhb

"The real issue should be, why didn't anyone attempt to SAVE him?"

Because, 46, he was a pain in the ass to the Roman and Jewish authorities. He was a trouble maker.

Caitlin

I'm sure we'll hear from the Catholic League or other such organizations that because we comment on Mel Gibson's anti-semitic remarks, that we are anti-Catholic.

Aren't Gibson's remarks nice coming from a nice Christian man. Is that what he was taught by his father and by the Catholic Church.

And if he acts like this in public, I wonder how he treats his wife and children.

Kathleen

Not even commenting on the above comments, not enough space, but am embracing yet another "opportunity" to stay in recovery. I was sober for 12 years, drank on and off for 8, and had finally hit my (hopefully final) bottom Friday morning (same night). If I were famous, people would've been shocked by my "falling off the wagon", too, because I have a very respectable, sober, image to the public. And I absolutely lose my mind when drunk. Anyone with this addiction understands the monster that possesses us. This is not an excuse, just another reinforcement that I CANNOT DRINK. Started meetings again Saturday and am praying for Mel, as a human being, not just a celebrity.

Gary R Wolfe

I know people mess-up in life, we all do at sometime or other.
MelGibson is a great actor and I would like to know him as a personal friend, there is something I like about him, he seems to be a very nice person, just by certain ways he acts.
I know Hollywood can be deceiving, but I also know Mel Gibson is human.
I believe he should face the music when it comes to his drinking habit, addiction and get help so he could even be a better person.
I hate to see people down others because of some bad habit instead of trying to lift them up and encourage them to get the help they need.
There is one comment on here that really is way out of line, saying about Jesus being Jewish, and Mel being Catholic, I'm protestant(born-again Christian).
I don't really know how Mel worships or even if he really does worship the Lord.
many people say they believe in Jesus Christ but to believe in someone you love them and want to please that person, thats true belief.
I can see in mel's actions he is not walking with the Lord, maybe he says he is but his actions speak louder than his words.
I wish Mel could read this and see what I feel the look is seeing.
I think he wants to be a good Catholic (religion) denomination title is not where it is at, its how you feel in your heart, the interman that only God truely see's.
We can play games with mankind, but not God.
It would be so sad to see someone dedicate their life to serving others and never really serve the Lord only their religion, and end up in Hell because they followed a lie because their parents was the samething.
Mel Gibson needs help and I know how police officers and others in places of authority can be corrupied, and it doesn't surprise me one bit that a cover-up is taking place here, in most cases "Money talks".
I hope and pray that Mel gets the help he needs and faces the music for what he has been doing no matter what the cost.
Please get the help Mel, your a great man and I love your movies.
Your in my prayers.
Evangelist Gary R Wolfe
Pennsylvania

Henry L.

The gov't covers up for themselves (and select others) all the time. However, if you're not in the 'preferred' crowd, then you are thrown under the bus (or in jail). Ask Ernst Zundel, who is on trial in Germeny for Free Speech. Ask E.A. Blayre III, who's book "America Deceived" has been removed from Amazon because the 'powers that be' didn't like the content. Ask protestor WU who spent 6 months in Chineses jail for Free Speech. Celebs and gov't insiders will always beat the system. Just ask our President.
Last link (before Google Books caves and drops the title):

john lovell

serves him right. he did the same to the english in his factually incorrect movies
braveheart and the patriot. totally distorted history and annoyed a lot of people who are, actually, more able to understand history. all done for his excessive love of the dollar.a supposed tough guy who has never been to war and if he did would probably- RUN

Bill W.

Mel Gibson has publicly apologized for his remarks, which he himself has admitted were "despicable." He has publicly acknowledged his alcoholism.

I have been in recovery for fourteen years, but when I was drinking, I called the mother of my children names which she did not deserve, and which I did not mean. I said those words out of anger and fear, under the influence of a powerful, mind-altering drug, not out of some psychobabblish "deep truth" nonsense. If alcohol affects Gibson the way it did me, you can't take a damn thing he's says at face value when he's drunk.

The old saying goes, "You know how you can tell if a drunk is lying? His lips are moving."

If the world can forgive Jesse Jackson for his "Hymietown" remarks, it can forgive Gibson for his drunken tirade, for which he is showing immediate contrition. What else can anyone ask from the guy? If someone says, "I screwed up badly and I'm truly sorry and I'm taking steps to make sure this doesn't happen again", that's about all anyone can ask.

He didn't kidnap and rape a 6 year-old, for God's sake. He showed his drunk butt in public and is having his name and face smeared all over the tabloids as a result. I mean, Matt Drudge is giving this as much headline space as the war in Lebanon.

But the folks in this thread who are playing amateur, Monday-morning Freuds clearly don't know anything about alcoholism, alcoholics or the horrible grip of addiction. Instead of gloating over Gibson's demise, maybe they should say a prayer of thanks that they are not in Gibson's shoes right now.

Me, I'll say a prayer for Gibson's recovery and restoration as a useful member of society. I've seen people in far worse straights than he turn it around and get well and stay that way.

And that includes me...

Gary R Wolfe

In my previous statement I didn't finish what i was going to say about the religious comment, mel being catholic and Jesus being Jewish.
Jesus did serve a certain kind of people or religion, he only has true believers who follow the Gospel and does his Fathers will.
Religion has nothing to do with it.
I also made a typing errror, maybe even more than one, but in the one statement I said you can fool man but ( look see's the interman).
It was to say "Jesus see's the interman. Sorry about the spelling and so on.

Evangelist gary R Wolfe
Pennsylvania

Kelly

I had to laugh when I read this story as it parallels my behavior when I used to have driving incidents while impaired ... the cockiness, the belligerence, the desire to escape. I never spewed anti semetic verbiage, however, but had I had pent up hatred and prejuidices, you can bet it would have come out!! Alcohol takes away our inhibitions, and Mel certainly didn't have alot of alcohol in him to use as a excuse to say that he did not know what he was saying or doing. As a matter of fact, I, too, have been pulled over in Malibu back when I was a student at Pepperdine. I want to thank Mel for reminding me just how disgusting this kind of behavior is ... it reminds me how important it is that I maintain my own sobriety.

Although I believe that Mel's apology was the typical "How the hell am I going to get out of this situation?" apology, in time and with treatment, he really may be sorry. At least he has acknowledged his behavior and problem and is not living in a world of denial like Mr. Baywatch!

Mel is a phenomenal actor and storyteller and will continue to be so. This incident is a wake up call for him, and I am sure that he will use it in a positive manner to turn his life around.

Gary R Wolfe

wantsed to post my website............thanks....................

Megan

I don't know if someone else has pointed this out... he was booked for a DUI... did he take a breathalizer? DWI driving while intoxicated.... DUI driving under the influence.... the influence of what?????

Joseph Pedit

Just imagine the uproar and riots there would be all around the world if Gibson had made disparaging remarks about muslims.

Joe

Jody

All of you readers who keep accusing Mr. Gibson of anti-Semitism should remember the words of the most famous Jew. "Let he without sin cast the first stone." More of us have driven drunk than not, and if it was John Doe down the canyon, none of this would even be newsworthy. Get off your soap box and take a look in the mirror. Ain't none of God's children perfect.

ALYSSA

He should be punished for the DUI, just like anyone else would. But, don't tell me not one person, especially in Hollywood, has had thoughts and feelings at one time or another about the sexes or races. We're all human people!