Mel Gibson: Malibu's Finest

7/31/2006 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonAmid rumblings that Mel Gibson received preferential treatment from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, a public service announcement that Gibson taped on their behalf has surfaced.

The PSA was recorded back in 2002 on behalf of a sheriff's charity, The Los Angeles Sheriff's Star Organization (LASSO).

In the spot, Gibson, dressed in a sheriff's uniform, pulls over Scott Baio to thank him for supporting LASSO. He implores viewers, "Give back to those who give so much."

Jennifer Tuck

Although I do not agree with Mel's remarks, he does have the right to say them. The real crime here is The Sherriff's department trying to cover up this situation. Mel Gibson is certainly not above the law, why does he believe other wise?

Randi Eckhardt

I think it is all a joke when celebrities get in trouble all of a sudden they need to go to detox or they have a problem. I am so sick and tired of hearing about that. If is was you or I we would be in a lot of trouble and the police can't say they did not give his special treatment. They are liars. These celebrities need to be put in their place and need to suffer just like any of us would. They are no better. Matter of fact they made it because of us. They are all lost fools and can't even keep their marriages together. They must live such lonely lives and I guess you should feel sorry for them but I don't. Everybody makes a choice and Mel Gibson is no different and drive a car which he could have killed somebody!! What the hell was he thinking that fool. Then he gets on tv and apologizes and says he is sorry, what a crock of s***. He does not care, he is just worry that his a** does not wind up in jail and maybe he might find himself a boyfriend! He is an arrogant self-centered person. He will probably run off to Australia now and will not be seen for awhile. What a jerk! If he knew he had this problem why didn't he have a driver. They should know that Pacific Hwy is a very hot spot where they catch the stars! I think he should have to stay 30 days in jail and maybe that will teach him a lesson.

Jamie

sars=stars

Prooblems=problems

Sorry about the mis-spellings!

leny

I'm not anti-semitic nor am I pro-semitic, and I'm also indifferent about mel gibson. But what I do believe is the Truth, and undeniably the Truth, regardless of time, will expose itself.

And the Truth is...Mel Gibson needs help, and he's admitted it. And the Truth is...Whether we'd like to voice it or not, due to some repercussion, the Jews have to re-evaluate and see how they represent themselves to the world. Some say, "Jews are the world's bully; and sooner or later, we know what happens to bullies."

Jack Defoe

re #53. Gibson is not like everybody else. He is not only a film maker but one who has decided to depart from pure entertainment and involve himself in an exploration of profoundly important issues. Having a platform like "The Passion of the Christ" for his ideas greatly magnifies what else he has to say on subjects like the kind of people he thinks Jews are. It also does not matter whether he said these things drunk or sober.

Patti

What happened to freedom of speech? Yeah, that's all well and good until someone says something "politically incorrect". What a bunch of F...... hypocrits! Drinking and Driving is the crime here. Nothing else. And that's serious enough. Not to make light of it but how many of you do that???? When was the last time you called a cab?? Actually, I'd like to know how TMZ got the Police Report so quickly. Maybe "they're" the ones stretching facts. Nothing new there.

Alexandre

I wish people were focused a little more on the true reason for Mel Gibson’s arrest - and what he honestly owes an apology about. His decision to get into his car - while intoxicated - put people on the road at risk of injury or death, and that's far worse than any pap (as offensive and cruel as it was) that came out of his inebriated mouth. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me..." while simplistic (and not entirely true) the real crime was getting behind the wheel of a car that when driven by a drunk becomes a weapon - a weapon far more serious than sticks or stones.

I also understand the he grew up in a household were anti-Semitism was totally common - Gibson didn't have to believe the words he spoke - only remember what his own father said when he was busy being a belligerent jerk. Kids remember the things their parents say - and when we become adults - and grow to disagree with our parent's views - it's not unheard of to regress to behavior that's familiar when we're not in complete control of ourselves. I don't think this came out of left field - I think Gibson was raised by a racist and that has to have some pretty long-ranging consequences...

I hope he recovers his sobriety a lot more than I hope he recovers his career. I don't think he's an evil man. But it's infuriating to think that he may get off lightly for the crime of drunk driving.

Debbie

Just leave him alone....he is human like the rest of us!

marvin

IT JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU, MEL GIBSON IS JUST AS IGNORANT AS HIS IGNORAMUS FATHER. AS WE KNOW, THE FRUIT DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE.

Maria

I am so much with you Sophie.........posted at 1.20 pm.
I have the same deep concerns, and it is so alarming so see that people is not getting it...it seems like the fashionable thing is just to jump on the sanctimonious and hypocritical attitude of crying to the heavens when somebody is expressing an opinion or criticism against a country , wich they never allow to separate country-race, and any dissident thought is labelled as hatred.
Looking at it with European eyes it looks to me as the beginning of a nightmare already experienced before.

Linda Carol

Mel said he would not speak against his father when his father said, concentration camps, etc. was for the most part were fabricated. If you don't agree with a statement made by friend or family you simply say, 'they have their own opinion". So, I find this more than a little eye opening. I think Mel is antisemitic, as well as an alcoholic. He can get help with his alcoholism, antisemitic....hmmmmm, I think the acorn doesn't fall from the tree.
Personally I think, he thinks he's above the law.

kathy Frank

amazing that people can and do say every kind of anti semetic remark there is. just goes to show that most people do feel what mel gibson says.
it never goes away. its called scape goating and denial. easy to blame a group of people who simply dont give up their ideals and heritage. people who work hard and make a success out of their lives.
If Mel gibson had said those things about African americans there'd be rioting in the streets but jews are always fair game.
i hope the jews finally rise up and start doing what christians have been doing for years. persecuting.

j

Dear Kelly Phillips:

What a small minded sad pathetic republican you are. I am sure your God will send you striaght to Satan for your uneducated post. Why is it always republicans and the uneducated who spount off and call people faggots and the like? I hope you are sterile so you can't procreate more of your kind.

dolly

How sensitive every one is on this subject. I think he is a man with a hard drinking problem. he is not a bad person,just guided by drinking. It's too bad that we christians don"t bit about bombing in Nazareth , where our lord was born. get off the man!!

Paul Burns

After reading and listening to all of the comments about Mel Gibson's supposed remarks (true or not) I can only believe that the PR people for his next movie ,whether as actor, director or producer, are already getting set up for promotion. This kind of reaction will only guarantee that Mel baby will be laughing all the way to the bank. Boycotts and condemnation only succeed in increased sales.