Friends (and Strangers) Roast William Shatner

8/14/2006 2:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

William Shatner and Jason AlexanderThe celebrity roast is an odd event: a performer reaches such a high level of success that his friends -- and a few total strangers that are only famous for insulting people -- take turns making digs at said celeb and anyone else in attendance.

So was the scene last night when William Shatner, best known as Captain James T. Kirk from "Star Trek," was the guest of honor at the "Comedy Central Roast of William Shatner." Jason Alexander served as the evening's Roast Master with Andy Dick, Farrah Fawcett, Greg Giraldo, Lisa Lampanelli, Artie Lange, Nichelle Nichols, Patton Oswalt, Jeffrey Ross, George Takei, Betty White and Fred Willard serving as roasters.

Jeffrey Ross gave cameras a sneak peek at his material on his way into the show: "He went from 'T.J. Hooker' to P.F. Chang's ... Is he on 'Boston Legal' or Boston Market?"

Shatner may have been the man of honor, but everyone was a target last night -- especially George Takei, who recently came out of the closet. But the line of the night (that we can actually repeat) goes to Lisa Lampanelli: "Betty White is so old, that on the first game show she ever did, the grand prize was fire."

Comedy Central will air the roast this Sunday at 10PM.

sam

Denny Crane!!

get a life people

I love Boston Legal one of my fav shows.....I can't wait to see this on sunday....

Rick

JUST LET ME KNOW WHEN THIS A**HOLE IS DEAD, THEN WE'LL HAVE SOMETHING TO ROAST!

eJm

Shatner has definatly rejuvinated himself from his cocky a**hole days, but I am excited as hell about this. As soon as it comes to the UK on E4, I'm watching it.

Kenny

Farrah looks great again!! Her corrective surgery was a big success!!! Go Farrah!!

Frank

Once again Andy Dick demonstrated what a useless waste of space he is. Hollywood is truly tolerant of miscreant has-beens seeing that this guy still gets invited to functions.

Justin

WOW, Farrah does look a lot better. Now if she can just pull her sh*t together and get her career back on track. Sh*t, if William Shatner can do she can.

Muscleman

Damn, Farrah looked AWESOME!! I heard they bumped Sharon Stone so Farrah could take her place, good move! I always thought Farrah looked great for any age, but the tabloid press were merciless, showing every bad photo they could find( doctoring most I'm sure). But she looked amazing at that roast and as much as I like her with long hair, the new do looked great, and very age-approriate. You go FARRAH!