Singer Accused of Illegally Killing Tame Bear

8/16/2006 3:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Troy Lee GentryDULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004. The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine. Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

Read the full indictment

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Pink Sherbert

What a loser. I hope he gets sentenced to the maximum the law allows!

Kelly

He needs to be put in a pen and shot with a bow and arrow!!!! SHAME ON HIM!

lucky

THAT TOTAL PIG!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never ever listen to their music or anything they do again.
*shakes her heard in disgust*

?

Poster #1 says it all. Ditto!

steve

If this is true, then Gentry should definitely face criminal prosecution. This is absolutely disgusting. I can't say that I agree with hunting as it is, but this is truly a low and disgusting act. I "was" a fan of Montgomery Gentry, but I cannot consciously support any entertainer (buying CDs, going to concerts) who would do something like this.

Black Sheep

This poor guy. So hot but must have a bite-sized dick to do something so pathetic and then make it look like he killed a Grizzly!

Shelia

It is really sad when people kill animals unnecessarily.

racer

What an ASSHOLE!!! Someone has to say it... friggin loser!

Joann

Hunting = the sport of cowards. What a loser. CD's are in the trash.

Tazz Devil

How very sad and how very cruel. Shame on him!!! I agree that he should be put in a pen and shot with an arrow preferably between the eyes!!!!

Cranky Pants

Is the word "pussy" allowed on this site? Because that's what people like this total POS are. Pussies. Like Dick-less Cheney, prbably a big hero to this redneck freak, Ceney is suck a "man" he "hunts" caged birds.

I'll be they both are accomplished fishermen too, pulling in goldfish from the bowls in their kids' bedrooms.

Disgusting.

Midwest

I takes a real Low Life to commit an act like that. Im not a fan of hunting, but if you are going to do it, at least do it right. You dont put a tame animal in a cage and shoot it. A real man would never do such a cruel thing. Shame on you Gentry, you low life piece of sh*t. I cant believe that he would go to such lengths just to say he shot a bear. Im sure he felt like a big tough man out there too. If he was a real man, he'd go out into the wild forest and track down his game. A spoiled little nancy boy shoots an animal in a cage. I am so angry that a man would do such a thing! I hope the rest of you TMZ readers agree with the comments posted so far. This man deserves to go to jail. For being a big country music singer, a so called rough tough cowboy....he couldnt even hunt his game like a real man! This story really made my blood boil. I hope he gets whats coming to him. No animal deserves treatment like that. He should be locked in a cage and shot with an arrow.

Sorry for ranting, but this story is horrific. I hope everyone here can see the evil coming out of him. No one with a good heart would ever do such a thing. Hunting is good if its done properly with the right intentions. Shooting a caged animal is not hunting, thats murder. LOCK HIM UP, JUDGE!

Amy

How pathetic!?! I never post comments on these sites, but paying someone to shoot a pet! He should have to pay more than just $20,000 fine. What a rotten SOB.

Cabo

Justice would be to have an angry bear maul him to death. This is one of the most revolting stories I have heard. Whatever punishment the law gives him won't be enough as far as I'm concerned.

Jen K.

He should be ashamed of himself.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments