Singer Accused of Illegally Killing Tame Bear

8/16/2006 3:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Troy Lee GentryDULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004. The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine. Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

Read the full indictment

Babs

I am Canadian and have never written to one of these sites but I just had to on this subject. What a cowardly "Pig" this guy is. I don't care if he had a permit he killed a helpless penned animal...Oh Big Man. I hope your judicial system throws the Max at him and the a..hole who arranged this killing. I want ot thank #29 for the info. I am going to put something in writting to the Judge.

Jay

Not a surprise. A lot of hunting establishments keep the animals in pens, put out feed to attract them or tie them to a tree. It's common practice for lazy hunters. This type of hunting is not illegal in some states.

Jay

Oh, and if anything he'll get a fine - no jail time unfortunately.

andy

WHAT A SISSY.. I WISH I COULD HAVE PUT HIM IN A PEN AND HAD FUN WITH A BOW AND ARROW.. DAFT HICK.

Lisa Williamson

What a clueless savage -- and he's flashing the PEACE SIGN? I think it should be legal (in every state) to do the reverse of what #35 describes: trap men like this creep in cages, lure them out with a Carl's Jr. burger and let the animals maul THEM!

sam

I am glad to read that we're all on the same page with this one. It's just wrong. Hunters and non-hunters all agree this guy is a major weenie!

annie

What a sick &^%%^ wanna be real hunter. ....kill a bear affectionaly named Cubby and tape it! I'm sure he thought that would make him a real..Big...man... OMG! How sick is this guy? I mean really? They should drop this "little man" somewhere Northern Canada in an enclosed area to face the wrath of wild Grizzlys! I sure hope PETA gets ahold of his &^%$^. by his nuts! I once liked the group.....Never again!

Midwest

I am writing the Judge a letter as soon as I get done posting. I was so outraged that this man could commit such a violent crime, and expect people to cheer him on. He deserves the maximum sentence, and I hope the Judge will hear all of us out.

john solari

sorry to say but this guy,will not do jail time,lawyer will get him off, peta has to get on his case, i have lots of friends doing fed time, he will make a good wife.
johnjohn.

Katie

What a COWARD !!! He should get beaten to death ! This guy has no heart and no respect. A straight up COWARD. I hope he cant buy his way out of this one. Rotten in hell you COWARD !!

DeeDee

This story is truly despicable. This sounds like felony animal cruelty to me. His punishment should be to be stuck in "THE PEN" with other felons who will show this idiot what it feels like to be STUCK! This lowlife creep deserves to suffer cruelly.

Valerie

I am absolutely disgusted with this cowardly LOSER!! Here's an emal address I found on his website, let's email the moron directly -!!

townies@montgomerygentry.com

chali henderson

Maybe someone should shoot an arrow into his ass for being such a dope. He'll probably skate like most fucking celebs

Valerie

Here's an email address from the loser's website, lets write to him directly to let him know what a cowardly, peice of shit he is and that he will NOT be exonerated as he "expects". ROT IN HELL YOU GAY BULLY!!!!!townies@montgomerygentry.com

JKW

Please, please, please let's make sure some one punishes these perverted men...I have read about such horror when it comes to animals this week...first it's 50,000 dogs (pets included!!) clubbed to death in China because of a rabies outbreak, then some guy tries to fry 5 kittens in oil (how can someone's mind go there??)...the kittens lived thank goodness and now this!! I've heard of this controlled "sport" before where they use big cats, old, declawed, toothless, etc. to hunt for sport...not to mention other animals...what is wrong with our society? Don't we see and inflict enough evil and horrors in our world? Have we not evolved enough to treasure all creatures?????