Haley Joel Osment To Be Charged With DUI/Pot Possession

8/17/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ broke the story that the LA County District Attorney planned to file criminal charges against Haley Joel Osment. Well, it happened Thursday afternoon.

Osment, 18, has been charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol. Osment has also been charged with driving with a .08 blood alcohol level or higher, with an enhancement of driving with a .15 or higher. Osment was also charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana while driving. Finally, Osment was charged with the infraction of driving under the age of 21 with a blood alcohol level of .05 or higher.

Osment, who was nominated for an Oscar for his role in "The Sixth Sense" at age 11, lost control of his 1995 Saturn on his way home and collided with a brick pillar in a suburb around 1 a.m. on July 20. No bystanders were injured in the wreck, but Osment wasn't so lucky: the actor was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was treated for a broken rib and a shoulder injury.

The collision caused the vehicle to flip over onto its roof and come to rest a short distance from the initial impact. The actor was reportedly alert and talkative following the accident, and was alone at the time of the crash.

Lone Dog

Thank YHWH that this young man/or anyone else was not seriously hurt in the accident.

This goes to show that ALCOHOL is the dangerous drug. A person can not safely operate a vehicle while using alcohol. If he had just used his marijuana, there would most likely have been no accident.

The pot arrest will unfairly deprive him of many rights/opportunities for life while the DUI will just be a fine/suspension. If the government cared about the people, they would outlaw the TRULY bad drugs (alcohol and tobacco which kill 100's of times as many people yearly than all "so-called" illicit drugs combined.

I hope the kid learns his lesson and stays abstinent from alcohol. I for one wish him well rather than gossiping/taking perverse delight in his misfortune. Alcohol is a wicked substance. Marijuana is not even comparable.

Joey

Being a guy, he just looks like a normal teenager to me.

Why do you think he looks ugly, is it because he looks like a little kid or something?

pat

Haveing lived in los angeles, the key for any celebrity is to commute in when they have to work and get out when your through.... some commute daily from vegas or phoenix....Some tapeings have even moved away from the La area...It is just to easy to get caught if your slightly impaired and try and drive... I hate the traffic, it has lost its glamour,it all just run down... maybe hollyweird should move to
a cleaner city likeorlando or somewhere

kevin

the only reason pot is not legal is because anyone can grow it and the goverment cant find a way to tax it

kitty kat

HA HA omg what a loser!!! i mean c'mon the guy was drunk and had posession of pot. yeah he'll need a good lawyer.

Jessica

Poor kid. Yeah he obviously made some stupid choices, but things like this happen to a lot of teenagers, not just "child stars". It just sucks that the whole world has to find out when he screws up.

Jeff

Haley who?

LB

News flash! Marijuana is not a "harmless" drug. Although the consequences of long term frequent usage are not as serious as crack or ice, it does have the chemical potential to be an addictive substance. Just like some people cannot consume alchohol without it triggering an addictive response, some people also can become addicted to marijuana. Look into some of the recent studies in addictive medicine. You may not blow yourself up trying to grow it, but it can have destructuve consequences much like any other drug (including alcohol) addiction. I would also suggest that if you find your whole life revolving around pot-getting it, smoking it, thinking about it, defending your use of it-then you probably are addicted. As a recovering alcoholic and addict I just want you to know..(There can be life after marijuana...and you'll be able to remember and full enjoy it. Peace.

James

He's 18 years old and I think if he were not so famous he would just get his ass busted by his parents and not run through this media frenzy....BUT...he is a person of celebriatiDUMB and he can afford a really good Laywer or even a Judge in this case.......what would happen to me if I were to drink and drive......under the Jail and throw away the KEY.....well thats my opinion whats yours???? nothing wrong with a little green once in awhile....TA DA TA DA
damn must be nice to ne rich....James E

Sanford

Another imbecile who has everything and throws it all away. No self control and almost no more life. If he can see dead people can he see himself? Another name to add to my list of jerks to boycott. Unless he can prove he can help himelf like Robert Downey.

hello

I don't see your ass in the movies.......

Dennis Robart

Let us hear the excuse- You have no idea what pressure I am under as an actor!

When I WAS HIS AGE, I was in the Strategic Air Command, with the 509TH Bomb Wing helping babysit H Bombs....

Surely he isn't going to say that he has so much stress in his young life?? :)

I hope we don't hear him say this for his sake- The criticisms will fly faster than a SRAM (Supersonic cruise missile we had in SAC)

One word of advice for Mr. Osment, with all his "Celebrity Lifestyle Pressures"-

Smarten Up, Kid!! :)

Sanford

Marijuana itself is not the drug, it is a drug-bearing herb. Drug is defined as a substance which moves you away from your existing state. Yes, I know: medicines are drugs, but they move you from your existing state (illness) back to healthy. Only dopes use dope. I hope you dopey dopers enjoy your next life-threatening operation performed by a drugged-out surgeon or your next flight flown by a stoned pilot.

Ryan

I thought I was the only one who saw he was driving a 95' Saturn... LOL

Glenn Reed

Don't let it do you in, Haley. Just learn from it and move on. You are good at what you do. Don't give that up.