Emmy Ratings Down 12% From Last Year

8/28/2006 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to view!The overnight ratings are in for last night's 58th annual Emmy telecast, and the news isn't good for NBC: The 13.1 rating/20 share represents an almost 12 percent drop from last year's 14.9 rating/22 share on CBS, according to preliminary estimates.

After the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences instituted a new nominations procedure this year, several observers speculated that there might be a drop in ratings, since several shows that were expected to nab a large number of nominations -- like "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" -- did not, and also given the significant number of nominees (and, in the end, winners) that were from shows that had been cancelled.

The 2004 Emmys on ABC, with a 13.79 rating, had been the worst since 1990, but even that would represent a considerable improvement on NBC's numbers.

Final numbers will be available later.

amelia

I thought it was one of the best Emmys that I have seen in a long time..the opening sequences with Conan were hysterical! He is great. The tribute to Dick Clark was very touching, although I was confused as to why he did not get an Emmy handed to him for lifetime achievement?? Maybe I missed that. Anyway, I grew up watching him every Saturday on Bandstand and just loved that....the Aaron Spelling thing was very touching as well. Brought back alot of memories, and made me realize that he attributed to MUCH of my childhood with all of the shows! I wish the Sopranos took home more Emmys though..maybe next year after the reign of Tony Soprano ends....

Shannan

A few thoughts about the "people" at the Emmys:

1) Conan O'brian - You already look like a giant leprechan, who dance around like one. You are so not funny.
2) Heather Locklear - Does anyone know what the heck Richie Sambora was thinking? She is amazing looking and seems to be a nice lady. He F'ed up.
3) Patrick Dempsey - Get a razor. It is ONE day a year.
4) Jeremy Piven - I am still trying to get over how odd you are... saw the footage of you in India... um... some stuff should not be recorded... I mean will there be a need for posterity in your case? If not, ick. Now about what you wore: An ascot and a suit from Sears? Stop directly inhaling the incense, share a pack of razors with Patrick and get a freaking stylist if you cannot control yourself. Freak.

and finally

5) Jaclynn Smith - My god! Do you age? You are as or even more beautiful than you were 30 years ago. Just like Heather - I bet it comes from within.

OK that said - I did not watch the Emmys. I did, however, look at TMZ's pics. I cannot bear these self congratulating things. Seems they have an awards showon every month. That estimate is probably low.

Ross

This was the first year I ever watched.

DESERT RAT

MY GAWD SHANNAN
YOU GET YOUR FAT ASS OUT THERE
FOR EVERYBODY TO TEAR APART.
YOU ARM CHAIR NOBODY.
YOU DIDNT EVEN WATCH

get a life people

Just happy Farrah wasn't to high or drunk to talk.....WOW time hasn't been good to her....Did anybody see her on comedy central when they did the roast to William Shatner.......Very sad.......

sam

I stopped watching years ago. It's such a rip off who would watch? The shows that win suck and they ignore really good shows like Deadwood and Rome. The Emmy's are a farce.

Pepto Dismal

The sight of those three old broads made me want to barf.

But then I saw Paula Abdul's chipmunck cheeks and decided throwing up wasn't worth it after all.

Michael

Great Emmy show. How tall is Conan? He made Bob Newhart look like a midget.

Courtney

What happened to Farrah? Why does she behave like such a nervous ding dong? She makes me uncomfortable just watching her. Jackylyn (sp?) looked stunning, the other one Kate? She looked like she did not want to be there at all.

Tom Cruise

The Emmys need more transexuals.

Tom Cruise

Hey TMZ a**holes. Why did you disable my name-link and leave the ones for number 8? Did that guy blow Harvey Levin or something?

Justin

Farrah seemed very nervous. I would be too if everything you appeared the press and bloggers write such horrible things. Give the woman a break she's 60 yrs old. who cares if she's had work done.
Kate and Jaclyn look like they've had work done.

It was great seeing the original 3 again.