PETA Wants Gator-aid From Beyoncé

8/29/2006 1:24 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

PETA is going after Beyoncé Knowles -- again -- after the singer told Arena magazine about her peeps taping a baby alligator's mouth shut during a recent photo shoot.
Beyonce
The shoot went down for Beyoncé's upcoming album, "B'Day." She told the magazine, "There was a shot where I held an alligator. (It) had (its) mouth taped -- that was my bright idea." Beyoncé added, "He was really cute, but since his mouth was taped, he didn't have any way to defend himself. He was upset, so he peed on me. That was an experience."

PETA thinks it was a bad experience -- for the gator. The animal rights organization contacted one of the world's leading biologists, who wrote Knowles a letter saying, "As a specialist in reptile biology and welfare, I'm concerned about your posing with a terrified baby alligator for your new album cover." He added, "Humans and alligators are not natural bedfellows, and the two should not mix at events such as photo shoots. In my view, doing so is arguably abusive to an animal."

Beyoncé has not responded to the letter. This isn't the first time PETA has gone after her. This past June, Beyoncé and her mom were confronted by PETA members at a fancy New York restaurant over the singer's use of fur in her fashion lines.

SOUND OFF: We want to hear from you - LITERALLY! Call TMZ's toll-free number 866-895-8877 and sound off (but not for more than 30 seconds)! Start with your name and tell us where you live.

Candice

I am tired of all of these animal rights activists bemoaning the use of fur. Give me a break! Adam & Eve used fur, why can't I? At any rate, whoever made the comment about Beyonce's butt needs to re-think their comments. I am tired of white america talking about the shape of Blacks and Latinos. Just because we don't have flat asses like white people doesn't mean that we need to be codemned. Don't hate!!!!

Dahlia

Be-onkie is overrated and I cannot believe she was badmouthing Lauryn Hill who is 1000x's better than her. Be-onkie's man needs a lip reduction in the worst way, I don't see how he keeps from getting beat to death in the wind with them. In addition to that, his nose is that of a stampeding or charging bull.

I agree (#9) that the welfare and ration stamp group is the segment of the population who likes her and will forfeit their stamps for food and get her lazy, cheap music. She is a used toy by the industry with absolutely no intelligence, likened to Paris Hilton. I am expecting them to pair up at any time.

As far as the animals go, the alligator should have #2'd instead of #1, maybe should would have learned a lesson.

cierra

people need ta stpo hate-n on my girl B cus alot of yall have prob done worse things to animals then tapeing its moouth shut......... people haet cus they wish they had wat she got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET OFF HER D**K and keep doing yo thang boyonce and imma keep buy-n yo cd's with my walfare check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PETAFAN

PETA IS A VERY GOOD ORGANIZATION!!!!!!!!! FOR YOU STUPID, IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY ARE EXTREME WELL HELLOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! SKINING AN ANIMAL ALIVE TO WEAR THEIR FUCKING FUR IS PRETTY EXTREME TO ME DONT YOU THINK YOU FUCKING STUPID ASSES. THEY TELL IT LIKE IT IS AND POINT PEOPLE OUT AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT TOO BAD...FOR THE OTHER IDIOTS SAYING THEY SHOULD GO FOR A BETTER CAUSE THEN YOU SHOULD SHUT UP AND CHECK OUT THEIR WEB SITE ANS RESEARCH ALL THE CAUSES THAT THEY ARE INVOLVED WITH BEFORE YOU COME OUT SAYING SOMETHING STUPID....YOUR THE PATHETIC ONE...I USED TO BE A FAN BUT FUCK THE BITCH AND HER FUR WEARING ASS OH YOU CAN ADD THE PLAYED OUT J-LO TO THAT LIST AS WELL.

Josette

OK I do not see what the issue is here. so an alligator peed on beyonce. PETA is making a mountain out of a mole hill just because she is famous. I used to live in florida and i do not see them harping on the animal control down there when ever an alligator is removed from a residence they tape its mouth shut for safety reasons. so before PETA gets's their panties in a bunch they should really do some more research and stop picking on the rish and famous for more publicity.

tinkerbell

I agree with Amy #15, PETA should cocentrate on more serious issues, like regular people hunting for fun or sport, rather than targeting celebrities doing stupid stuff like taping alligators' mouths, that's not abuse! I live in a place where alligators are attacking people and dogs for no reason. They are very dangerous, and if I saw one anywhere near me or my kids, I would beat the crap out of it. Who cares about what PETA thinks! Concerning Beyonce, I think she's very talented regardless of what she looks like on photos.

liza

What it so great about Beyonce? She is not even a good singer. So dumb!!! Imagine having Jay Z as a boyfriend? His face looks like a dwarf. Sick and tired of hip hop. Beyonce needs to go back to school.

Jazmin

Why don't you guys stop hating on Beyonce, I don't think she meant to harm anything. I like animals too, but some of you people are over reacting. Taping an animals mouth is not harming it. If you are at a photo shoot with an alligator that can bite you wouldn't you tape its mouth, and Beyonce's picture is fabulous. PETA needs to find other things to do.

anon

IF I had any respect for "Beyonce" as a person at anytime, I've lost any kind of respect for her and her family.

She is ignorant and yes she obviously does not think much of wild life. Her fur line and this photo shoot say lots. It is cruel to tape a baby gator's mouth shut for a photo shoot and this one is odd looking. Beyonce looks like she is about to take a pee, never mind the gator peeing on her. The baby gator got nervous and peed.

And to the poster who said that Peta should pay attention to more serious matters, well this is a matter that means something.

I'm sure Beyonce and her family are quite proud that it was her idea to tape the baby gator's mouth shut, o, bravo, what an accomplishment. Then when wild life reacts to the treatment, the creature is shot or put to sleep, etc. Pathetic human beings!

Elizabeth

ok, i agree with PETA to a point about certain things, but not this. Taping the aligators mouth shut does not hurt it, zoo keepers do it all the time to protect themselves when transporting the animals... is PETA going after them too? yeah, the aligator might have been scared, but that doesn't mean it was abused, and i'm sure it went back to it's home and was fine. it's not like this was some random wild aligator... i wish PETA would learn to pick it's battles, then maybe people won't think they're crazy... wearing fur, bad, taping an aligator mouth shut for safety, not bad, not even abusive

Chrissy

Thier si no excuse for how she treats animals and someone needs to tape her mouth shut and see how she likes it and that animal was right for peeing on her.

Wild animals are called wild for a reason and you never mess with them..This ignorant b*** could have chose to do so many things on her cover but of course she went with hraming a baby animal..PETA needs to take a damn baseball bat and just start hitting her..Her not being in Hollywood will be no big loss, she can not sing or act anyways.

syretta

i am a huge fan of beyonce's and i believe she wanted a sexy pic with aliigators and for her own protection she did what she thought would protect her from being harmed. if there was some harm in her doing that then i guess she wil pay for her actions but its just a cheap shot of getting to to her its really not as serious as it is being made out to be. but as for the comments to people spending there welfare checks on her album that is stupidity on that person and her audience definitley goes further than people on welfare.

ronald

i have not seen what she did with the baby gator but if there no harm whats the big deal. all you people are forgetting what peta did with abandoned animals they stuckem all in a van and tortured them and put them to sleep when they were healthy and these were real clinic dr's its all over the news. i rather see what beyonce did then peta did while on hidden video.

Eric

I am more concerned about the fact that Beyonce' looks like she is squating to take a dump in the picture.

Juanena

I live in Central Florida where, Gatorland is located they have hundreds of shows per year where they tape gators's mouths shut for theirs and the publics saftey where is PETA in all of this obviously the employees of Gatorland know what is and is not safe for gators they have a whole crew of gator specialist working there and have been around for many many years