PETA Wants Gator-aid From Beyoncé

8/29/2006 1:24 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

PETA is going after Beyoncé Knowles -- again -- after the singer told Arena magazine about her peeps taping a baby alligator's mouth shut during a recent photo shoot.
Beyonce
The shoot went down for Beyoncé's upcoming album, "B'Day." She told the magazine, "There was a shot where I held an alligator. (It) had (its) mouth taped -- that was my bright idea." Beyoncé added, "He was really cute, but since his mouth was taped, he didn't have any way to defend himself. He was upset, so he peed on me. That was an experience."

PETA thinks it was a bad experience -- for the gator. The animal rights organization contacted one of the world's leading biologists, who wrote Knowles a letter saying, "As a specialist in reptile biology and welfare, I'm concerned about your posing with a terrified baby alligator for your new album cover." He added, "Humans and alligators are not natural bedfellows, and the two should not mix at events such as photo shoots. In my view, doing so is arguably abusive to an animal."

Beyoncé has not responded to the letter. This isn't the first time PETA has gone after her. This past June, Beyoncé and her mom were confronted by PETA members at a fancy New York restaurant over the singer's use of fur in her fashion lines.

SOUND OFF: We want to hear from you - LITERALLY! Call TMZ's toll-free number 866-895-8877 and sound off (but not for more than 30 seconds)! Start with your name and tell us where you live.

Linda

Keep up the wonderful work PETA! There are too many heartless people in this world and we all need to know so we can boycott them whether they be movie or television stars, music artists, and big or small corporations. It is about time that we all support animal rights!

JB

Save the animals? How about save the people!! PETA cares more for animals than people. I would like to believe that abused women, children and homeless people deserve more attention than gators, fish and chicken. Quit trying to force your opinions on others and live your life! I wish a PETA member would say something to me. They would be looking for an animal to save them! I'm not a fan of Beyonce, but at least she isn't trying to force others to be like her. Now back to my steak.

lynn

I agree with cj19. If the PETA was really fighting for a cause why not protest about slaughter houses, and zoos where animals are really abused. Plus the alligator didnt pee on B cuz he was mad its an animal is pisses where it damn well pleases. Alsothe timing is very convenient dont you think so.

John

hi beyonce, im crystal, im 10...
I killed my cats to make a coat too!!!
I look up to you and totally think it is soooo cool that you do what you want, who cares if we kill animals right? ya!
I find cats and dogs in the neighborhood and skinn them and stuff ,, is that how you do it tooo? or do you buy them at the pet store?
i cant afford to buy them so i just go around and find them, usually just dogs and cats because they are easier to find and catch... and then i make stuffs with their furs, my friends think im weird but im trying to teach them how to do it tooo! yay!

San

To Spud, Beyonce is a performer. If you don't like her or her music don't listen. But before you make comments about her talent base make sure that you know what you're talking about. If you remember, she was chosen to perform at the Tony Awards a couple of years ago, and performed not one, but 3 numbers. I don't think you can describe this group as glittery nail, welfare recipients. She has fans that range from rodeo drive to the soup kitchens. Her fans have nothing to do with her choice to use an alligator in a photo.

dionne kendrick

I think it'sunfortunate that otherwise reasonably intelligent people lose their cool over certain issues. If Beyonce's behavior is abusive towards animals, that should be addressed. If her music promotes shallow, vacuous ideals, address that as well. However, it's downright childish to launch personal attacks against a performer or their fans. It gets in the way of intelligent debate. It's hard to take ideas seriously when they are buried beneath racist, condescending, presumptuous venom.

the other woman

why is this a big deal??? she just took a photo and just taped a gator's mouth big deal...he's still breathing they is far more worst abuse going on with kids and women for us to cry over this....I bet PETA wants beyonce to donate a big anmount of $$$ to their organization and apologize for some 99 cents tape on a gator mouth......and i agree they kill other animals as well......

John

heartless & ugly is a bad combo!

JB

Hey Crystal keep up the good work, you sound like a smart kid. What you should do is SELL the coats you make. Don't give them away, SELL them for your profit. When you make enough money buy a .40 Cal Glock and kill all the stupid racist and PETA members before you KILL YOURSELF!! STUPID!! I know it KILLS all you racist people to see a talented successful BLACK WOMAN.

John

gross

John

she kills other animals too, cats, dogs, racoons ect....

PhilipSantoiemma

PETA has become a radical fringe group.
What P.E.T.A. should really stand for is
P-People
E-Eating
T-Tasty
A- Animals

GMafia

wow!!!! so much fuss over nothing....people get over yourselves...the animal was not abused

John

boyonce kills cats and dogs and supports cruely killing millions of other animals every year too.

John

hahahahahahaha!!!!!! beyonce is a dumb bitch!