Hey, MTV: Please Bring Edgy Back!

9/1/2006 9:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

What, no girl-girl kiss? No puppet-slugging? No wardrobe malfunctions? Not even a diamond watch giveaway?

All in all, it was a remarkably tame evening at last night's MTV Video Music Awards, so much so that Al Gore made one of the night's best jokes – and even Britney Spears and Kevin Federline couldn't liven things up.

The usual shock-inducing antics – like Madonna and Britney smooching in 2003 or Diddy handing out a blinged-out timepiece -- that have tongues wagging the day after the VMAs were in comparatively short supply at Radio City Music Hall on Thursday.

Still, there were some fine moments in the show: Lil' Kim appeared in an orange prison jumpsuit to very publicly mark her release from prison after a ten-month sentence, a stage-crasher identified as Nicholas "Sixx" King interrupted Panic! At the Disco's acceptance speech for Best Video, and Al Gore got a hearty chuckle out of the audience when he said, "I hear Justin Timberlake is bringing sexy back, so here I am." (It was just one of many "SexyBack"-themed jokes made during the evening.)

Elsewhere, on the red carpet, a monkey brought by nominated band Fall Out Boy created havoc with interviewers, while Diddy refused to talk to reporters, employing a member of his entourage to answer all questions while a tall, blonde butler carried a tray of liquids to slake the mogul's thirst whenever the occasion warranted it.

Rosie Highly Convincing As Trailer-Park Lipo Addict

The promo picture for "The View" isn't the only place that Rosie O'Donnell is getting slimmed down. The new "View" co-host plays a trailer-park mom who wins the lottery and goes on a binge of liposuction therapy in the new season of FX's plastic-surgery drama "Nip/Tuck," and she's apparently so convincing that the network is considering giving O'Donnell's character her own show, according to the New York Daily News.

In the episodes, which air Oct. 3 and 17, O'Donnell plays Dawn Budge, a housewife who wins $381 million and comes under the suction of the "Nip/Tuck" doctors. The proposed series, which is still in the early stages of development, would be a half-hour series wherein Rosie/Dawn moves to N ew York and begins a whole new life.

"Laguna Beach" Ex-Lovers Claw It Out

With a dearth of juicy drama either at the awards show itself or even at the parties surrounding it, a tiff between Lauren Conrad and Jason Wahler of "Laguna Beach" and "The Hills" will have to suffice.

As Rush & Molloy report, the on-again-off-again pair were both spotted at a party at New York's Snitch on VMA eve, and Wahler continuously jostled Conrad while he was making out with a blonde woman – not Conrad. Conrad actually asked a Daily News reporter whether Wahler was with the girl, but then was ordered to "get away" from him.

Conrad stormed out of the club and went to Tenjune, where multiple witnesses say that Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo, far from their appearance earlier in the evening at the Bryant Park Hotel, where they coyly avoided arriving together, were getting hot and heavy in the club's VIP area.

Party Favors: Martin Sheen Picks Up Student ID, Susan Lucci Saved By Gallant Restaurateur

It's an exciting time of year for any student -- new lunchbox, new backpack, new crushes -- but particularly so for actor Martin Sheen, who has waited nearly 50 years to start college. The star is arriving at the National University of Ireland in Galway next week, says a school rep, to pick up his ID and begin classes to work towards his bachelor's degree. Sheen decided to forego college the first time around to pursue acting, says Page Six. ... A New York steakhouse owner pulled over Thursday night in the Hamptons to help a couple from their flooded car, and was surprised to find soap star Susan Lucci in the passenger's seat, report Rush & Molloy. William Jack Degel helped Lucci out of the car, which was stuck in three feet of water, by throwing her over his shoulder. "She was very light, maybe 85 pounds," says Degel.

Amy

The vma's just sucked!!! The highlights for me were Justin Timberlake's performance... and Brittney rippin' on herself , It definently isn't what is used to be....I waited for Christina to perform Ain't No Other Man and she sings this depressing slit your wrist to song.....i was pissed and i was glad to turn off the TV and go to bed

blah blah blah

Didn't get to see but 1 hour of the show, but the only thing I did enjoy about it was Justin Timberlakes Performance!
AWESOME
Can't sy much for the rest of it

rachel

what song did christina actually sing?

WTF?

Justin was the best part of the show, otherwise it was just lame.

Tom Cruise

Why don't they have Rosie play a shrill, talentless ego-maniac who exploits her sexuality for publicity purposes? They could call the show The Life of Rosie O'Donnell.

lisa

the show was ok but it wasnt as exciting like it used to be i liked beyonce that was it ...and it was to long.... to get to the piont

bamer

I got so bored watching the VMAs that I chose to change the channel to South Carolina vs. Mississppii State on ESPN. Then, I just fell asleep. yawn.

nat

The performances were on point (except for Luda and TI, sorry) but the hosting sucked azzz

Amanda

That was sooooooooooooooooo boring!!!! But like everyone said except for Justin's performance! They really need to figure something out cause that was the worst Ive ever seen!

elaine

The VMA's were so boring. It seems as if the stars that use to be fun and exciting have gotten so full of themselves that they feel that they do not have to give their best anymore. I guess they figured I am already paid, so I will give a borderline performance. Boring.

carrowsboy

You know it is a terrible show when a no-talent poseur like Timberlake is considered the best part! I mean c'mon, you cannot take that queen seriously.

Best part = Al Gore, though I'm sure his message went over the heads of the new eMpTeeVee audience who only care about bling and skanks.

amelia

I enjoyed the beginning of Justin Timberlakes performance. I also liked Beyonces.(she tried) Jack Black was starting off ok, then fizzled. I think if Jack were allowed to improvise more, it would have been hilarious. He is one of my favorites. Pink was too funny with her acceptance speech, making fun of the usual self-absorbed,"stupid girls"! LOL. I love her. I felt sorry for Jessica Simpson. She flubbed her words, then said "typical Jessica", and I think she was nervous because Nick was in the audience. Who knows. At least the girl can poke fun at herself. I was not happy with who was nominated, and who go what award. Paris Hilton should have stayed home. She looked and sounded ridiculous. Her sis, Nicki, was there looking fabulous, and Paris gets all of the attention. I cannot stand it.

shiki

The VMA was everything but memorable. It was so dissappointing. Not that I wanted to see smut or anything like that but even the performances weren't really breath taking. Sorry Beyonce couldn't even bring it. And what up with Shakira withe her lackluster performance? She looked like she was giving the bare minimum. But what would have saved the VMA's is a strong MC who could really pull the crowd together and get them hyped. Someone with some shock value like Angelina Jolie, Chris Rock, Will Smith, For that matter they could have used me!

tammy deland

i can't believe everyone is ripping on the vma's they were soooo good and everyone is saying justin was the only good thing but he was what sucked!
Al Gore,lil Kim,beyonce and shakira were awesome and so was sara silverman
saying paris is getting too fat that was hilarious!

sherry

The only one i liked was Beyonce, who to me was the best. Her performance had energy to it and the vocals were terrific. I did like the Raconteurs as the house band. Ok Go were cool and so was Panic at the Disco. TI and Ludacris, yawn.... Timberlake, I'm sorry he is vastly overhyped and I swear he did the same moves back in 2002 when he performed for the first time there. I don't see the growth, sorry. Britney/Kevin getting booed along with Pussycat Dolls was funny.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments