Schieffer's Teary Goodbye

9/1/2006 3:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comWith tears welling up in his eyes, Bob Schieffer finally concluded his 18-month tenure as anchor of the CBS Evening News with an emotional in-studio tribute.

Incoming anchor Katie Couric joined Schieffer at the end of Thursday night's broadcast in studio for a retrospective of his career, featuring a one-on-one pre-taped interview with the former Today Show host herself (perhaps to give viewers a sneak peek of the Katie to come?).

Schieffer's professionalism resuscitated the reputation of the CBS Evening News at a time when the legendary news organization was mired in scandal in the wake of a widely disputed report about President's Bush's service in the Texas National Guard. The tears came at the end of the pre-taped segment, when Schieffer acknowledged that he did not believe in anyone being self made, saying the he is the product of many people- his mother, his wife and his daughters most importantly.

A survivor of bladder cancer, Schieffer is not retiring and will return to CBS News in his previous capacity as the White House Reporter. Katie Couric makes her debut as anchor of the CBS News on September 5.

EGO

Give me a break! That old fart will live better in retirement than most who actually work!

And, what's so dam special about Katie? Did I miss the bus?

jennifer

Bob Schieffer is a class act, and Katie will have an extremely hard time filling those shoes. Get a personality EGO and try to say something nice. P.S. it's spelled damn, mr. wizard.

Stella Roy

If you mean the short bus, no, I don't think you did miss it. There aren't too many things that can hurt the "news" industry(any more than O'Reilly or Geraldo have) so, let's give Katie a shot..

Alyn Brodsky

It's a damn shame! Schieffer was the last of the great radio./TV journalists in the mode of Murrow, Cronkite, Jennings, and a handful of others. To think that he had to go, and that no-talent grinning Couric is replacing him is almost as obsecebne as the fact that she's getting $15 MILLION a year.

WTF?

After Peter Jennings passed away, I turned to 1st Dan Rather, then Bob Shieffer for the evening news...I like knowing that a respected journalist is in charge. Even with the internet, I guess I'm "old school" and watch the evening news to recap the day's events. Now, I guess I'm going to have to watch ABC and Charles Gibson, cuz Katie is a flake and about as hard hitting as a snowball.

I could give a rat's ass about Katie Couric....I predict she is going to bomb.

kathleen

WHAT A DEAR SWEET MAN!! Esp. after viewing that clip...they just don't make 'em like that anymore! (men and newscasters).

coco puff

Oh, boo hoo hoo. I'm sick of these old geezers, hanging around forever. There all just a bunch of self serving a**holes who think they're big time stars. Report the f*cking news and quit thinking you are the news. Good riddens!

Rita

I'm so sad to see Bob Schieffer going, he not only gave us the news he has a good sense of humor. Katie Couric is an idiot joke journalist, I can't believe they would give her that kind of money. Trust me she is gonna hurt the ratings big time! I guess I will be searching for someone I can take seriously as a journalist on another channel.

Alyn Brodsky

I was going to suggest that everyone who has taste simply boycott CBS, and let them see what a gross error they committed in taking on that $15 million no-talent cutsey-poo Couriic, who seems best at only one thing--flashing a phony Tom Cruise-like smile. But I have a feeling that there'll be a boycott even without my suggesting one. Leave us pray! Bob Schieffer did NOT deserve this! CBS had better realize they're not the only game in town. The network is already circling the bowl as it is. If they think they'll bring back viewers with the likes of Couric, they must also think pigs can fly. Bob, enjoy your retirement. You have more than earned it! I salute you--as I head for the WC to puke my guts out over Couric.

Alyn Brodsky

Billy, you may get to be an "old geezer" someday. And I hope that by the time you do, you learn there is no such word as "riddens"--unless it's local patois in the the "holler" you live in down there in the Ozarks.

EGO

(#2)
Your splitting hairs on the dam spelling :-)

Who gives a sh*t about a (aging) Anchor losing a 18-month position?

There were no tears for the 400-plus who were fired via email by Radio Shack???

Galavision will pick his old, ancient, decrepit ass up (once he learns spanish)!

"Go f*ck yourself San Diego"

Leslinka

I love Bob Schieffer!!! He was and will always be the main news anchor for me. I have enjoyed his stint on CBS.... I watched Katrina and cried with him, everynight my roomates and I watch him because he is classy, upstanding and most of all caring. A consumate professional. Something that unfortunately my brash, indiscreet and mouthy generation should look up too! I get sick of reading the comments and drivvel from these insolent duds, who disrespectfully call names. He may be old but he is a great human, something you have already fallen short of. I am shamed to be part of this disrespectful generation sometimes. Hey Billy and EGO I would rather be a admirable "old fart geezeer" like Bob, then brazonfaced insignificant turds like the two you!!! Have some respect.

Tom Cruise

Shieffer spent the last year sitting in the anchor's chair with a load in his pants.

coco puff

Bob Schieffer & Dan Rather can now make depends commercials and the Maven can change them!

Alyn Brodsky

Slamcut at #10: That load in his pants was Katie. As the old saying goes, if it looks like crap and smells like crap, then it's crap. BTW, the same can be said for your blog, which I just checked out. Call the fumigators! And for Jeff at #12: Why not submit your deathless prose to #10's blog? Its simply loaded with sh*t you'll doubtles enjpy. Add to the pile.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments