Stingray Slaughter Blamed on Irwin Fans

9/12/2006 1:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Steve IrwinA spate of attacks on stingrays on Australia's eastern coast are believed to be work of aggrieved fans of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin, who was killed last week by the poisonous barb of a ray. But a colleague and friend of Irwin's is begging fans -- if they are in fact responsible for the killings -- to stop doing so.

At least ten stingrays -- which are typically shy, unobtrusive fish -- have been found dead and mutilated on two beaches in Queensland state, where Irwin lived and ran the wildlife park Australia Zoo. A few of the rays have even been found with their tails chopped off. And Michael Hornby, executive director of Irwin's conservation group and a family friend, is pleading with the stingray killers to stop, saying that it would completely go against what Irwin stood for. "We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," says Hornby. "I hope everyone understands we have to protect wildlife now more than ever."

Meanwhile, fans are also expressing their anger via an online game called "Terri Irwin's Revenge," in which Irwin's widow is seen firing at stingrays underwater; players try to kill as many rays as possible. Terri Irwin hasn't commented on the game, but the creators have issued the rather bizarre disclaimer: "We should make it clear, this game is intended to be a memorial and NOT a funny parody."

RebeccaBBBBBBB

wow ppl can be idiots

Jane

FUH-REAKS!! I'm sure Steve would be so proud of those morons - NOT. They've clearly learned nothing about what he was trying to accomplish.

Lutty

I don't think people would have killed those stingrays if PETA had not been so disrespectful to this man and his family in death. It is PETA's fault!

sam

Way to make PETA look like the intelligent ones you idiots (“you idiot” pointed at these yahoos that kill the innocent stingrays). Great way to show that they’re right about us stupid human being. Human are sorry excuses for animals.

sherri

HOW RUDE THAT TMZ put that pic of STeve on their website. DEFINATELY POOR TASTE

s

sam

Makes the Steve Irwin fans look like a bunch of dumbshits. Talk about “cruel”, writing a game that goes against everything their “leader” stands for. Wow you must all feel really stupid sticking up for these assholes he tried to teach about animals. Great lessons Steve, Looks like your fan base learned nothing from you at all. Now that you’ve “educated” the people where and how to find these creatures, how’s that working out for ya now???

muybonita

I really hope that's not the case and there is some other explanation for this. That would be truly horrible and against everything Steve stood for. Stingrays are very shy and non-aggressive fish. It was just right place at the right time that Steve got stuck where he did.

sam

>>>YOU ARE RIGHT. ITS PETAS Fault. Damn idiots.

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING, RIGHT? OR MAYBE YOU’REJUST A TROLLER. MAN, I'M NOT A PETA FAN IN BECAUSE I THINK THEY GIVE A BAD NAME TO THE ANIMAL PROTECTION GOAL. BUT I KNOW ENOUGH TO KNOW THEY WOULDN'T KILL STINGRAYS JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT. IT GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING THEY STAND FOR.

WITH THAT SAID, THESE LOSER ARE SLAPPING THE FACE OF THE MAN THEY SUPPOSEDLY ADMIRED? THE DEFINITELY DON’T RESPECT THE MAN. STEVE WOULD BE PISSED OFF!!!!

Eli

Wow people dont even respect the dead!

mar

This is so sad. Stingrays are one of the most beautiful animals in our oceans. How dare these morons think they are doing any good by this. I swam with stingrays in the Bahamas, they are gentle, yet they are wild animals, and that is the chance people take. Steve would be mortified!

lise

these people are totaly morons!!! I hope that they are caught and put in jail where they belong, steve irwin would be sickened by these idiots, he cared for all wildlife!!! they are gentle innocent beautiful creatures, ones steve respected as the wild creatures they are who ever did that i hope goes straight to hell!!! No thanks to those idiots at peta who make idiotic comments about steve exploiting wildlife, gotta tell u pet-diots my kids have learned more from crocodile hunter than peta has ever put forth shame on you to comment on steve like that i notice u didnt when he was alive cowards!!!

Eden

People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. Stingrays do not search out people and then use their barb to kill them. I haven't seen the video of Steve, I don't want to see the video of Steve but he had to be interacting with these rays in such a way that the barb was near his heart - he could have spooked the ray or it simply could have been a case of Steve brushing against the barb.

Stingrays are more afraid of us than we are of them. I live in an area where there are stingrays and each time I saw one when I was in the water it either swam away from me or it buried itself in the sand at the bottom of the ocean.

I can understand being upset and sad at the loss of someone but I cannot understand the slaughter of these innocent creatures. What the hell purpose does that serve???? Karma is a bitch, people. Don't think it only applies to the evil acts perpetrated upon fellow human beings - it applies to the animal kingdom as well.

TruJrzyGirl

How can you blame anyone for murdering innocent animals ?? Please, no one put a gun to their head and said, "Kill the Sting Rays" .... That's like saying it's our president's fault that muslims blew up the world trade center ... NOT ... People ahve minds of their own, sick, twisted and warp .... Looking for attention !! They should be caught and shot.

Stephluvax

My first reaction was laughing uncontrollably. Second reaction is disbelief how human beings can be so stupid

nika

i think that its those darn peta posse killing the stingrays to make it appear as though his fans are doing it. any one with me on this?