Bush to Talk "Borat" (So His Country Can Be Free)

9/13/2006 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

BoratComedian Sacha Baron Cohen was already in hot water with members of the international community over his controversial (and extremely hilarious) Borat character, and now President George Bush himself is going to weigh in.

The government of Kazakhstan became infuriated with Cohen over his portrayal of Borat, a bumbling Kazakh TV reporter, at the 2005 MTV Europe Music Awards in Lisbon. The upcoming movie, based on Borat's adventures in the US, has surely reopened the wound.

In the opening scene, Borat reportedly kisses goodbye to his sister (who he touts as one of the top prostitutes in all of Kazakhstan by the way) and sets off for America in a car pulled by a horse. The movie was hailed as a comedic gem when it debuted last week at the Toronto International Film Festival.

But not everyone is laughing, especially Kazakhstan's president Nursultan Nazarbayev, who is set to meet with President Bush in the coming weeks. Among their list of topics to discuss is the damage done to his country's image by the Borat character.

President Nazarbayev also claims his government will buy "educational" TV spots and print advertisements about the "real Kazakhstan" in a bid to save the country's reputation before the film is released in the U.S. in November.

Despite the hilarity of the situation, The Kazakh government is very serious about the issue. In fact, they have previously threatened the British funnyman with legal action for Borat's memorable and controversial antics, which include constantly ripping his homeland, demeaning women, and urging folks to "Throw the Jew Down the Well."

nat

he will drag him by his horns

Eli

TMZ ITS FUNNY HOW YOU KNOW POLITICS IS THE HOT TERM RIGHT NOW SO YOU KEEP BRINGING ASS BUSH IN THE CONVERSATION!

Kris

I thought it was a picture of Lionel Ritchie. I'll be damned.

Elle

Ha ha Kris! You know you're wrong for that! I don't think buying ads will do anything to improve his country's image though. Americans STILL have a hard time distinguishing between stereotypes and reality, as I have so often experienced.

Cat

I need to see a one on one with Borat and Bushie. THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!

Jagshemash!

The Truth

Come on... Sasha is the funniest irreverent on the planet today. I'm happy to see that our leader is zeroing in on the important stuff. We got our best getting blown up, and "W" is smoking out humor.

Wanted dead or alive, Huuummmor! he, he, heee.
Man I can't waite until Nov.
Get out and vote.

grace

Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood.

Mara

So, you're telling me the Jews have a better sense of humor then the Kazakhs?

Jeez, the world really has gone crazy.

Big ups, Borat. Booyakasha!

LisaN

Bush has nothing to do with the issue, the president of Kazakhstan initiated the meeting with Bush about other things. The only reason anyone is paying attention is because of this idiot & his movie. By all means, don't let the facts weigh you down. Way to go out on a limb against W! So subversive!

Rob Lopez

I love Ali G/Borat/Bruno. I think all his characters are absolutely hilarious! I do kind of understand where he could come of as inappropriate, immature, and downright offensive. The thing is though that is exactly why it's so good. You really just have no idea what he/they will say next. Personally, I can't wait for the movie and I expect I'll have to see it a few times because I'll be laughing as the movie continues and I'll miss more funny parts. Sacha Baron Cohen is a genius! I really hope to see more seasons and more movies based on his characters. The Bruno movie would complete the Cohen trilogy. Boo yaa Kasha!!! Respek!!! Big Up Yourself Sacha!!!

moretocome

Ali G is the man. I have all his DVDs and I love to show them to people that haven't watched his program. They always become instant fans.

mark

jagshimash, i from glorious nation of kazakhstan. it nice...i like! this man cohen, he come to my country, i throw him down well! i know he sister...she nice! him? not so much. he right about something though. if latifah come to my country, i want make liquid explosion on her. l like sex crime. you like? if cohen come to my country, i execute! i think he have small hram. my hram? it like horse.
jagshimash

kathryn

I love Ali G.

sam

Yikes! We all agree. Could it be the universe is about to implode? I guess we all agree that funny is good.

la trailera