"Survivor's" Racial Profile

9/15/2006 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Survivor" kicked off its thirteenth edition last night, and the usual get-to-know-you material that usually fills much of the first hour of the season had a particular hue -- it was undeniably about race. And the producers of the show made certain that racial stereotypes came right to the forefront. Asian-American tribe member "Cao Boi" talked about no one suspecting "little people with slanted eyes," and a member of the black team suggested that "black people don't like to be told what to do."

The first Immunity Challenge -- kind of an island version of a Rubik's Cube -- involved assembling puzzle boats, which were then used to retrieve fire; back on shore, the tribes then had to solve four more puzzles which led to the finish line, signified by lighting fire barrels.

The Asian-American tribe won the Challenge efficiently, and the African-American tribe -- Manihiki -- came in last. The Asian-American team also won the Reward Challenge.

Host Jeff Probst called this season "a social experiment like never before." (The early ratings suggest that people are interested -- well over 17 million people tuned in last night.) TMZ will be keeping tabs on "Survivor" to see how the formulas and results from this experiment in racial profiling pan out.

Rafiqa

IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT THE IDIOTS BEHIND THIS "BREAK THROUGH" SOCIAL EXPERIMENT WASN'T SENSITIVE ENOUGH NOT TO PIT THESE RACES AGAINST EACH OTHER DUE TO THE OVER WHELMING RACIAL ISSUE THAT IS VERY CLEAR IN AMERICA TODAY. THIS IS NOT A GAME THIS IS OUR LIVES. IT IS PREDICTABLE TO HAVE THE ASIANS 1ST WHITES 2ND HISPANICS 3RD AND THE BLACKS LAST. THAT'S HOW THIS COUNTRY IS TREATING THE RACIAL CLASSES ANYWAY. BUT DO WE HAVE TO WATCH THE NETWORK MAKE A CLEAR MOCK OF IT? HOW SADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

littlestich

I'm so tired of people saying the show is racist and how horrible the new format is. So the divided the teams by race - so what? If you believe everyone is equal - then why would it bother anyone that the teams are divided by race? Differences in race or culture don't mean inequality - can't we just accept that there are differences and similarities within every race and culture and just appreciate the diversity we share in the United States? As long as the players are given equal opporunties and treated with respect, I see no problem

Chris

Think about it...the Olympics are similiar in its "production", we do not see an Asian person competing on a Nigerian track team (not to say that it could not happen though), but we can have and do have an Asian American person competing against a Chinese volleyball team for instance. Are the Olympics considered racist? The Olympics are divided by countries and then by the people who live there and are most likely a certain same race. Here, of course, we have all different kinds of races which is unusual compared to other parts of the world. So, I am looking at the different survivor groups are like small countries and then by sorted by race. I enjoyed watching last nights episode, and am curious to see what happens. Also, I am very pleased with the first cast off, and I was especially glad the women stayed together for a change. I also think the Asian team is going to kick butt! I also thought it was interesting in the Mexican and Asian groups, that the people there were of different cultures, places, and areas, and the Caucasion and African American teams were not, just American.

Livewire

LIVEWIRE- a genius prophet or an angelic shaman?

LIVEWIRE, the TMZ enigma

FYI

These are all Americans. If they wanted to make it real. Go to the Countries and get these people that only talk the lauguage of that country. That have lived in that country all their life. My family is latin but I was born here. I am and American and then some..........LOL

tvpham

I don't think It is about racism at all. How many shows out there have an even representation of all the groups? Every show I see are either all white with one mexican that is a janitor, an asian woman that is either a maid or own a nail shop, or some martial art chinese guy, and a black ganster. COME ON. Eventhough it is racist, but it is fair. Everyone starts out evenly. Its all about team works, strategies, and just perserverance. May be best race and player won.

kay

The asians will probably build some high tech sh*t... while the white guys take it. lol

kay

i'm not asian, but i think the asians will win too.

terri

What a racist comment! There are lazy people from all races. I'm sure some people have considered you to be lazy. I hope they did say "Those such and such people are so lazy. I know because I worked with them."

tas

I actually kept notes (socio-cultural based) on the first and second show. I am an African-American who believes that Axiology and Jungian psychology are valid in understanding group/ethnic patterns of behaviour. I really didnt feel that the show ENFORCED stereotypes but "highlighted" certain realities.
Asians DO work collectively better in spite of generational differences; Hispanics do work better together based on their language commonalty and thier "Hispanic-ness" and they ARE hard workers; the white folks are lazy due to the privileged mentality and cluless about surviving without depending upon the labor of others and they tend to steal other people's resources (the chicken) and then lie about it when they have to give an account; and African-Americans have a harder time working as a team and they seem to be more concerned about "image" than working hard. Notice that the two groups that have stroonger cultural identities are the stronger! Also, next time when you cast a "Black" time--get some continental Africans and Caribbeans. See, for me, the AFrican Americans selected represent those without a REAL cultural and historical awareness...I and my mate are anxiously awaiting to see how THEY plan to catch a chicken and what they plan to do with it! LOL

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2