Anna Nicole's Son -- Fatal Drug Combo?

9/19/2006 2:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Daniel and Anna Nicole SmithFor the first time, an official in the death of Anna Nicole Smith's son has gone on the record, stating that drugs may have killed Daniel Smith.

Dr. Cyril Wecht, a pathologist and former coroner who was hired by Anna Nicole and signed Daniel's death certificate, tells TMZ, "It could be a drug-related death of an accidental nature."

An official connected with the investigation, who wished to remain anonymous, told TMZ that the drugs in question "were prescription, not illegal." The source added that Daniel had "a combination" of anti-depressants and other prescriptions in his system.

"It could be a drug-related death of an accidental nature."

Dr. Wecht, however, bitterly disagrees with the Coroner of the Bahamas who claims the cause of death has been established to a certainty.

Dr. Wecht says he and another pathologist, Dr. Golinda Raju, both have determined that Daniel's cause of death is unknown, pending the final toxicology report. In sharp contrast, Coroner Linda Virgill tells TMZ, "I stand firm that the cause of death is known."

Dr. Wecht went after Virgill, telling TMZ, "Do you want to believe the two pathologists or a non-physician. I don't know what she's talking about." He reiterated, "I'm telling you I don't know the cause of death. I don't know." Dr. Wecht, who was clearly upset over Virgill's comments, peppered his comments to TMZ with expletives.

Virgill would not reveal the specific cause of death, though she insists it was firmly established last week. She did, however, tell TMZ, "The toxicology report is very important here," buttressing Dr. Wecht's comments that Daniel's death may have been drug-related.

BRONX

ANNA MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU , MY SON WAS MURDERD AT AGE 21 IN 1986 WHEN I ALSO HAD A NEW BORN SON , AT THE TIME I WAS SO DISTRAUNT I COULD NOT FUNCTION I HAD TO GET A GRIP ON LIFE SO I COULD CARE FOR MY BABY. I HOPE TIME WILL HEAL YOUR PAIN. WE AS AMERICANS WE ARE SO HARD ON EACH OTHER DURING BAD TIMES . GIVE THE WOMAN A BREAK STOP BAD MOUTHING HER SHE LOST HER SON.

lisa

drug addicts and memory loss? Sounds like your a know it all who doesnt know anything about real loss. peace to anna's family!

Jo Bialer

An 18 year old girl known to one of my relatives died two months ago when she mixed diet pills with her anti depressant medicine. Sometimes prescribed drugs that are taken together have a fatal effect on a person. This young girls died suddenly. Something to think about and be careful with.

Sharon

God bless you, Anna Nicole. No matter how you have lived your life, losing a child is the ultimate taboo.

Leslie "Mick" Webster

I must admit that I have watched Anna Nicole's career over the years and while I have always believed she was an extremely attractive woman, I found her to be a little wacky in her personality - she might think the same of me should we ever meet so no ill will whatsoever. The latest tragedy in her life makes me feel guilty for laughing at her in the past = and makes me really angry to see others post negative comments about her. She overcame her background to be successful in a very difficult business not once but twice and though what she does is not rocket science I think she now deserves our compassion and prayers. By all accounts she's always been a good mother - I can't imagine the lose she is feeling at this stage - I for one would want her to know that there is hope for her life with her new little girl - my heart goes out to her.

Ellie

My heart goes out to Anna Nichole. There is nothing in life to prepare a parent for losing a child. The overwhelming grief can not be described. Please, give this woman the compassion and privacy she deserves at this most difficult time. Unless you have experiend a loss such as hers...you know nothing of her grief. Hugs to you Anna, from a mom who has been there.

We, are not amused.

#83
I think it was Percocet and Stoli

We, are not amused.

#91
See #35: "...the jerk store called and they're running out of YOU!"

We, are not amused.

Did another Kennedy die or something? A Pope? Did Krusty the Clown finally pass away? Come on folks, yeah its sad but so is this faux outpouring of grief. Everybody take a deep breath and get a grip. This kid has gone on to a better place and his slutbag of a whoremother will have another life to F up. Maybe she'll teach the little whore-in-training how to keep and old man happy. Really I mean, really....

Livewire

HANK that was some funny s**t!!! LIVEWIRE gives you props!

Another concerned mother

So many have said unkind words..and A lot of you have given your hearts. I have feelings as well.. And as a mother,I can say that the birth of a child...wanted or unwanted is something a woman will never forget..A feeling of love unlike any other..And when that part of your life is gone so is so much of oneself. Wether we walk through our lives handing hands or at a far. A child is never far from the one who has given birth. The cord has been cut again...first in birth and second in death...And so be it Anna will go with her beloved son..Her body will remain with us, But her heart and soul will always remain with her first born..God Bless all our children each and every one.

Key

I was never a fan of Anna Nicole Smith, but I would NEVER wish the pain of losing a child on anyone. No one deserves that. Everyone is always so judgmental. I'm sure you have done some things that you deeply regret, but you have the luxury of not having it become public knowledge. Get off your high horses and look at the big picture. A life is lost and a mother is devastated. My heart goes out to her.

leighanne

Even though I am a day or so late on this thread, I have to add my 2 cents. My 18 year old step-son died last year after an accidental overdose of Flouxotine (Prozac) and methadone. We do not know where he managed to get methadone. No matter what Ms. Smith has done, NO ONE deserves to loose a child. She obviously loved her son dearly. He seemed to be a good young man. I hope Ms. Smith will remember she has a lovely new daughter to take care of, and not let mean spirited idiots deter her from her healing from her loss, or caring for her daugter. I an not imagine the emotional roller-coaster it must have been to go from elation over the birth of a child, to the unimaginable heartache to loose a child only a few days later. My heart goes out to the entire family.

gisele

God Bless Anna and Daniel and Family, each day will be another step to getting well anna, God Bless You and your Family. I know this is so hard. My prayers are with your family,

gisele

I so agree with C. Morre you said it very well, My heart will go out to the family. Love you Anna and Friends
God Bless You