Exclusive: Horrifying Death of Reality Star's Baby

9/26/2006 10:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joseph SimmonsA rapper's wife gave birth Thursday, but the scene quickly turned to tragedy after their newborn girl was pronounced dead.

Rev. Run, a.k.a. Joseph Simmons, shocked fans last year when he announced that his wife Justine was pregnant on his MTV reality show "Run's House."

Justine's pregnancy was the cliffhanger on the MTV show last season. It generated intense interest among viewers who have been anxiously following the pregnancy and awaiting the birth.

Simmons, a member of the legendary rap group Run-DMC, was at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, NJ Tuesday for the birth of his child. Doctors delivered the baby via c-section, revealing a cruel twist of fate -- the baby girl was born with organs outside the body. The newborn died a short time later.

TMZ has learned that MTV cameras were inside the hospital at the time of the birth, though we do not know if they were in the delivery room.

Amanda

My prayers are with him and his family! This is such a very sad situtation

Sunshine

MY CONDOLENCES! You will be in my prayers.

stephanie

Isn't something like this detected through ultrasound during pregnancy? I don't understand why cameras were there if they knew the baby was going to die.

Very sad, though.

Whatever

It is a horrible, sad thing to lose a child! :(

Ok

Oh wow. They were so happy when they found out she was pregnant.
I can't believe it.

Lisa

That's my question Stephanie. They didn't know they're was a problem before the baby was born.

ml

I want to say I think this is horrible for the family, I watch the show during season, all I can see is Justine buying baby clothing early before pregnancy is known. I love this family, and show, and things happen for a reason. He is the "REV" and I know his family is praying. This has Happened but for this something Big Will Happen in Return. My thoughts are with this family.

Jennie Pie

So very sorry, Godbless you all

p1tey1

How awful for the family.

moonie

prayers go out to the family

Lou

" a cruel twist of fate " ????

TMZ, have a heart! what kind of sensationalized writing is that?????

sasha

I'm SO sorry!

michelle

That's so sad...I hope they can get some time to themselves through this tragedy...

No Need For A Name

Such a tragic event, I feel for the Rev and his family. I did not follow the show but either way it still is so sad. My prayers are with them to get through this terrible time.

the wise old owl

WOW ! That is really heavy. I know what it's like to lose a baby at birth. It is devestating. So sad. You've decorated the baby's room. Bought all the furniture and had the baby shower. You never forget the loss. Her grief must be ten fold, with the media attention to add to it.

At least I suffered my loss in privacy. Thank goodness she has the support of her family and friends to get through this. My thoughts and prayers go out to this family in their time of need. It's time to turn off the CAMERA'S and let them grieve.God bless that little baby. God Speed. He or she had a higher calling.