Exclusive: Horrifying Death of Reality Star's Baby

9/26/2006 10:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joseph SimmonsA rapper's wife gave birth Thursday, but the scene quickly turned to tragedy after their newborn girl was pronounced dead.

Rev. Run, a.k.a. Joseph Simmons, shocked fans last year when he announced that his wife Justine was pregnant on his MTV reality show "Run's House."

Justine's pregnancy was the cliffhanger on the MTV show last season. It generated intense interest among viewers who have been anxiously following the pregnancy and awaiting the birth.

Simmons, a member of the legendary rap group Run-DMC, was at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, NJ Tuesday for the birth of his child. Doctors delivered the baby via c-section, revealing a cruel twist of fate -- the baby girl was born with organs outside the body. The newborn died a short time later.

TMZ has learned that MTV cameras were inside the hospital at the time of the birth, though we do not know if they were in the delivery room.

Tarra

I am so saddened by this news. My prayers are with the entire Simmons family. Your faith in God will help you through this sorrow.

angel

I am truly sorry. I have also lost a child myself. But, so rich as they are it seems that ultrasound would have expose the defect in the infant. God, knows what he is doing and we as fan should pray for them

SMG

Very tragic..my thoughts and prayers to the Simmons family.

Caroline

That's so terrible. They seem like really nice people.

Marie

I am so sorry. Your family is in my prayers.

Twin

God bless, many thoughts and prayers thru this very difficult time.

Min. Zephaniah James

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Just remember to keep God first and he will heal the broken peices of your heart.

T

My condolences and prayers go out to the Simmons family.

Jen

I was just talking with my friend, wondering if Justine had the baby. I am so sad to hear about the baby. May GOD continue to bless you and your entire family. I feel like I am apart of your family because I watched every Thursday night, including the re-runs.

Nichole

What a tragic loss, this story brought me to tears. I too followed the show and was so excited when she found out she was pregnant. And like someone else said, isn't this something detected by ultrasound before birth? At any rate, I pray God gives them peace through this very horrible storm.

Lisa

May God give you and your family the strength and faith to get through this... I am so sorry for your loss.

Shelley

Not to diss TMZ, but I don't understand how this can be an exclusive to you and not MTV or another "reputable" news source like CNN. I'd believe even Entertainment Tonight before I believed it here. The story is poorly written, first making reference to "a rapper's wife". Her name is clearly known b/c it's mentioned later in the story. To assign her the title of a rapper's wife (and he no longer raps as a profession) is seemingly disdainful. If this is indeed true, may God be with them during this time. If it's not, you have not only sullied their newborn w/unnecessary rumors of her death -- not an illness, not born deaf, mute, or blind, but DEAD -- you should be sued for lible. The story initially lists the baby as being born on Thursday, but later states Tuesday. Inaccurate reports such as this are what will make even those that look to you regularly for news/information turn away.

Ramona

I am so sorry for your loss. I am one of the biggest fans of the show. I was so excited for the family and cannot tell you how much I feel for Justine and the entire family. I know this is a terrible time but in time the strength of your family will pull you through this tragedy. All my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Rachel Johnson

How incredibley sad. My daughter loves the show and was awiating this childs birth along with so many other fans. We are praying for this family.

AprilRenae

So which is correct did she give birth on Thursday or on Tuesday? hmmmm