Salma

Has the Last 'Ugly' Laugh

9/29/2006 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Salma_Hayek_Ugly_BettySalma Hayek​ stunned her Latin American audience when she left her role on "Teresa," a highly rated telenovela, to move to Hollywood 15 years ago. Unfortunately back then, as Salma found out, most Hollywood roles for Latin women were prostitutes, waitresses or maids. Thankfully that's no longer the case.

With the premiere of "Ugly Betty," an American take on the Colombian show "Yo Soy Betty, La Fea" on Thursday night, it seems Salma may have had the last laugh. As the executive producer of the critically acclaimed show, Salma could have easily have had a cameo as a model or high-powered fashion executive. Instead, she decided to go back to her roots and maybe take a dig at the Hollywood casting agents who typecast her so long ago.

Salma plays a maid on a telenovela that is on constantly in Betty's house. Hayek's on tv overacting proves the highly accomplished actress can still poke fun at herself and at the industry.

TMZ hopes Ms. Hayek continues her telenovela role -- it's our favorite part of the show.

Salma Hayek

Cristina

I think Salma is just sooo pretty!

Eli

REALLY tmz PROSTITUTES, MAIDS ETC. I DONT THINK SO, NOW LATIN WOMEN ARE EVERYWHERE AND ON EVERYTHING SO GET YOUR SOURCES STRAIGHT

marce

Please check your spelling it's Colombian not Columbian! What an insult.

Jennifa O Jenny

I REALLY enjoyed the premiere of the show and am looking forward to the next episode! Can't wait!

Alix

Brilliant woman!

Kim

I don't know why Angelina Jolie is considered the world's most beautiful woman when there is Salma Hayek in the world.

Amy

Marcy ...please enroll in college ....it is Columbian ,not Colombian....please make sure you know how to spell before you critique our articles....thank you for visiting

moretocome

I laughed through out the entire show. I too am looking forward to watching this again next week. Finally a comedy with some heart. It%u2019s been a long time.

Candy

I agree with TMZ Salma's part was the best part of the show.

marce

Harvey's Editor

No you need to check again. This show is based on a Colombian (South America!) soap opera. I know my family is from Colombia. So you get your sh*t straight. P.S. I do have a college degree!

marce

thanks TMZ for correction!

vanessa santana

Harvey's Editor:
I guess you were out sick that day in college . It is Colombian, as in the South American Country COLOMBIA. It is NOT Columbia, as in Columbia University.

Rick

Oh My God what a great show, America is just soooooo wonderful and that treat with Salma in the Sop Opera Spoof was just hilarious....cannot wait until next weeks episode-I AM HOOKED!

A VERY TALENTED CAST!!!!!!
I welcome back great television with this show!

Rick

A VERY TALENTED CAST!!!!!!
I welcome back great television with this show!

Whatever

I love Salma! Cool chick and drop dead gorgeous!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments