NBC Mum on Lauer's Marital Woes

10/8/2006 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matt and Annette LauerNBC is extremely concerned over reports that Matt Lauer's wife filed for legal separation, and the network is doing everything in its power to stop the story from spreading.

Annette Roque Lauer, who married Matt eight years ago, filed a petition for legal separation last month, according to Rush & Molloy. The columnists say Lauer withdrew her petition, but sources inside the network are on red alert to manage the story. Indeed, one source at a rival broadcast network tells TMZ that NBC is deeply worried that a messy break-up, especially involving the couple's two kids -- and another on the way -- could damage Lauer's image as morning TV's golden boy. A rep for the couple told Rush & Molloy that the pair is "not divorcing." It's unclear why Lauer had a change of heart and withdrew her petition.

Jessica Hooks Up with John Mayer

If a secret hotel tryst is any indication, Jessica Simpson and John Mayer appear to be making sweet music together, despite past protestations to the contrary. TMZ spies spotted Simpson and Mayer at the tony Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills last week. There's been considerable buzz about the story, and several reports suggested that it couldn't be so. Now, other sources have come forward saying that TMZ is right on the money.

Here's how it went down: Mayer was the first to arrive at the hotel's bar, and he actually chatted up one of our spies and asked her upstairs to "talk." She declined. Not long after, Jessica arrived and made a beeline for her friend and musical collaborator Romeo Antonio, who was sitting at a table. When Antonio subsequently hit the boys' room, Mayer was there and asked if any romance existed between Antonio and Jessica. Apprised that there was not, Mayer then returned to the bar, talked to Simpson for about ten minutes, and then the two left the bar together and disappeared into an elevator. They were never seen again -- that night, at least.

Don't Mess with Brangelina

At least, that's the message after their bodyguard allegedly manhandled a photographer who was waiting for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie outside their hotel in Pune, India, where she's shooting scenes from the forthcoming film about slain Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. It all went down Saturday afternoon, according to the Associated Press, when Pitt and Jolie were leaving their hotel, the Le Meridien. A British photographer was trying to snap shots of the couple, and that's when their bodyguard reportedly attacked. He grabbed the photog by the neck and started yelling at him-and it was all caught on tape by Indian television. "I couldn't breathe. He had his fingers on my windpipe and he knew what he was doing," the photographer told the Hindustan Times. That'll teach him to mess with Brangelina, no doubt.

Moss Kicks Doherty Back into Rehab

Amid reports that his girlfriend Kate Moss was not happy with his drug-addled ways, Pete Doherty has entered rehab once again and called off the remainder of his British tour with his band Babyshambles. Photos surfaced of the singer looking, well, very disheveled the other night, and reports said that he had been kicked out of Moss's house half-naked at 3:30 in the morning after the two got in a huge fight. Here's hoping that this latest round of rehab will finally set Doherty's ship straight.

Party Favors: Madge's Adoption Mystery, K-Fed's Acting Debut, "Trek" Model Ship Gets Over $500K at Auction

Madonna visited yet a third orphanage in Malawi on Friday, fueling more speculation that she's planning to adopt a child from the impoverished African country, despite her publicist's denials ... Kevin Federline makes his acting debut this week on "CSI," on an episode called "Fannysmackin'." (If only we were making this up.) He plays a teenage thug who harasses investigators while they work ... Yes, Captain, they are insane: A Star Trek fanatic purchased the 78-inch model of the Starship Enterprise used in the title sequence and pilot of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" for $576,000 at a Christie's auction Saturday. The sell-off of all kinds of Star Trek memorabilia, including set pieces and costumes, raked in more than $7 million.

Mae Veatch

I am sick and tired of hearing about Paris Hilton, I think she is degrading herself with everyones man and every time I see her face it makes me sick.
I sure hope Angelina Jolie and Brad never hooks up as she is no good for him, She is very self centered. I cannot stand her and I never watch her movies.
I think Tom Cruise and Katie should never married I really think something is wrong with him. I too never watch his movies anymore. I rather watch the classic movies as those stars were really stars. No humping and pumping in bed and no vulgar language. I get sick and tired of paying for this. I do not think there is anyone anymore that can write a good movie anymore, without the bed scenes or the language that they use now.

HollywoodLori

Paris Hilton is the biggest joke I have ever seen. She is "famous" for her last name and for being a complete SLUT. She can't act, she can't sing, she's as dumb as a box of rocks and the only way she can get in the mags is to sleep with everything with a penis. She literally grosses me out.....I swear, you can practically see the STDs on her! That Shanna is my new hero for punching her! God, what I would give to be able to take a swing at her! And it wouldn't be too hard to break that hideous beak she calls a nose, either!!!

amanda

Save that sentiment about sex out of wedlock being fun when you have to stand face to face with the Lord. Wonder how carefree you'll be feeling then?????

Miss Alice

If Matt is having problems at home...SO WHAT! He's human.

mary

There is so much swapping around out in Hollywood, I'm sure just about all of the young "stars"out there are probably eat up with some kind of STD, that is probably why they swap around among themselves. As far as Matt and his wife.....who cares?

Marlene N

Our prayers go out to Matt and his Famiy, it is tough going through a seperation and divorce, especially for the kids. Marriage is forever, now days people forget that.

Machelle Votra

To.....These Days, Jasmine & Collin

I don't know how I ended up lin the readers comment section, but I did and was I shocked... Wow, such nasty talk about Matt.... I guess you must know him pesonally to make such derogitory remarks. I am certainly glad you guys are not personally know to me.... Bet then as I was reading some of the comments I thought you are in your element....

joy benedetto

What do we know in someone elses home. Maybe she found someone. I am not a fan of his, I liked Katie. You are all probably, its him, but 3 kids are here. They need him at home. All couples have hard time. I hope it survises. Thank you, Mrs.Bene.

Susie

Who cares? I read it for entertainment, but honestly who cares what someone else does just because they have money or are in the movies? Better yet who cares what people do behind closed doors? I mean if you people could, I bet you would all be looking through these peoples key holes. Leave them alone, they are people too and do they not deserve some privacy? Good lord reading all of your opinions make me sick. You want to judge people for having sex out of wedlock, well isn't it a sin to judge? My guess is we are all going to hell in a hand basket and well I want to enjoy the ride, not waste my time judging what other people do!!!!! Thank you for reading.

Karen

Matt Lauer, NBC's "Golden Boy"... I think that NBC believes too much of their own press. Who really cares about his marital situation? Do they really think that Matt Lauer is veiwed as a hard core journalist? The sun does not rise and set around him. He's a fluff reporter. I've seen him act like a jerk to the people who he is interviewing. I don't care if he wears a tu-tu, tiara and carries a fairie wand on air.

god's favorite son

all of you christian fundamentalists need to move to your own island. you're as bad as al qaeda - forcing your opinions on everyone else and judging. sex is great out of wedlock - maybe you should come down off of your cross and live. dumbasses

Lisa

I I don't care for Matt Lauer. He seems like he'd be difficult to live with. I also avoid the TODAY show like the plague.

I like The Early Show, on CBS!

pd wright

On most of your opinion polls(matt lauer, jessica simpson etc) you need to add a "who cares" choice.

Bill Cooper

Whatever happened to love the sinner but hate the sin ???? Yall buy the movie tickets then come here to gossip about em..... Where would you spend your time without these clowns to condem ????

Ricard Sandovar IV

Who is Matt Lauer, and who cares if he is getting a divorce? Perhaps people should spend their precious time on this earth being concerned with THEIR lives, and those around them that matter. What are your children doing? What's going on their lives? Why not use your time more wisely and concern yourselves with things that matter. I'm quite sure Matt Lauer, Jessica Simpson and Madonna aren't losing sleep over YOUR bankruptcy, cheating spouse or drug habit allegations. These are people folks, don't take their lives so seriously.