Janet Jackson's New CD Bombs

10/18/2006 3:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Janet JacksonJanet Jackson has just suffered a record malfunction. TMZ has obtained the latest numbers for her new album, and it is tanking big time.

The CD debuted three weeks ago, selling 296,873 copies. The second week, sales plunged 74% to 77,240 units. The typical second week drop is 40%.

TMZ has just obtained figures for third week sales, and it's not too early to declare Janet's latest effort a disaster. Sales dropped to 42,240 units, a 45% plunge from the second week.

Janet's CD debuted at number two on the charts, dropped to number nine the second week and then went down to number 19 the third week.

So far, Janet's CD has sold 416,353 units. We're told Virgin Records stocked the stores with 1.2 million copies. We're guessing the 99¢ Only store is about to get a big shipment.

TMZ called a rep for Virgin, so far we have not received a response.

james

Its so funny to see people jump on what sales figures classify as a flop, and in turn pass judgement on those we really know very little about.

I had a chance to listen to Janets new CD, and its actually really good! I have never owned a Jackson CD before this one, which shows for some artisits, its never really over. Her fan base is strong, she does look great and the CD is pretty strong. Its the media, radio DJ's, and people like above who could never have the success that Janet has, who are so bitter, they find some warped sense of happiness from someone elses shortcomings.

I'm so happy my life is complete and solid enough to not fall in that catagory! Not to like something is one thing, but to spew out so much hate and anger on someone you don't know is quite, well, pretty pathetic!

HOLLY

TO ALL OF YOU PEOPLE TRYING TO DISS JANET, JANET DOES NOT HAVE TO COMPETE, SHE HAS BEEN WHERE THESE ARTIST TODAY IS, MOST OF THEM ONLY HAVE WHAT ONE OR TWO ALBUMS AND JANET HAS 16 AND WE CANNOT COUNT HOW MANY TIMES GONE PLATINUM, HOW MANY TIMES #1 BILLBOARDS AND R&B. JANET ALBUM IS NOT A FLOP "IT IS WHERE YOU FINISH, NOT WHERE YOU START", AND TO YOU TRAILER PARK TALKING FOLK, GO SOME WHERE AND LEARN HOW TO MAKE MUSIC. I LOVE THIS CD, IT IS THE BEST CD THAT JANET HAS EVER PUT OUT!!! AS IT WAS TOLD BEFORE, JANET GOT BACKLASHED AND TALKED ABOUT BECAUSE OF THE SUPERBOWL, AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE MUSIC WAS PUT ON BLAST EVERY HOUR AS IF HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUPERBOWL, SO DON'T GET IT TWISTED. WHILE YOU PEOPLE ARE TALKING HOW COME YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT "JANET'S" BROTHER "MICHAEL JACKSON" SAVING THE MUSIC INDUSTRY A FEW YEARS AGO, YES!!! 'MICHAEL JACKSON" SAVED THE MUSIC INDUSTRY WITH HIS THRILLER ERA, BUT YOU ALL DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS. I SAY IT IS JUST RACIST PEOPLE BEING RACIST; AND HATERS BEING HATERS!!!

Ms Kris

Am I surprised?

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drop your clothes over & over & over for magazines & videos.

Oh, did I forget the SuperBowl lie?

Person got just exactly the sales she deserved.

JanetIsThaRealQueen

2 all of the foolz who is here hating on Miss Jackson needz 2 get a lyfe. I`m sure Janet does NOT give a sh!t 2 what u imbredz are saying about her.

Janet is 1 of the most talented, gorgeous women around and u can`t stand it. Just because the album has not sold lyke people were expecting u foolz are going 2 hate? That is 2 freakin` sad. Another thing-it is Virgin Records who is NOT doin` their job.

Janet has been around around for what 25-30 years now in the entertainment business. So byte that suckaz. I`d lyke 2 see some untalented skanky trailer trash lyke Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake be around 4 that long. At least I hope and pray not. Britney pleaze stay bare foot and pregnant out of the public view. *gags*

TMZ sux!

Crystal

Janet is a has been. I lost respect for her when she tried to make a comeback a few years ago with all that plastic surgery that made her look freakish. Then she hooked up with Jermaine Dupri, what the heck is that? -loser status The she pulls that stunt at the Superbowl which gave her bad publicity. It may have boosted Justin's career but it was a desperate move on her part and everyone knew it. Janet should respect herself more the way she use to and maybe the public will too. I hope she learned something from all of this. She forced her stunt on everyone and now it backlashed.

MommaT

Anyone out there want to take a shot at trying to “decipher” what post #23 was trying to write? Fingers on the wrong keys there buddie?? Just what are you trying to say? I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the majority of the “posts” could give a flyin rip about Ms. Jackson…..stick a fork in her, she is done!!

Bingo34

In response ,I just want to say that I think it's a fine CD, it's a great CD, it's her best effort ever. What was the question again?

kris butler

I THINK THE ALBUM IS GREAT ! IT WAS A BAD CHOICE FOR THE 1ST SINGLE BUT WHAT MISS JANET DOES I WILL SUPPORT...HOPEFULLY WHEN SHE GOES ON TOUR FOR THIS ALBUM HER SALE CAN PICK UP..I LOVE MISS JACKSON AND I WISH HER THE BEST!

Greg

Janet sounds& looks the same each and every album. She whispers when she sings. Really annoying. Take Madonna for instance, she looks and sounds different each and every album. She has been around a long time and she STILL sells out each and every concert tour she has. Janet should take some notes from Madonna.

POOPER SCOOPER

BAHhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bingo34

North Korea might bomb.....Janet's CD is a sure thing.

Stan

I like the album a lot. Why it's not selling is a bit of a mystery. I have a good idea why MTV hasn't supported her--and even pop radio. But the real question is why her own record company hasn't supported the album.

shelley

I have to agree with #12....one succinct arguement. And I never made to connection between her dating Dupre and starting to garner attention flashing her body.
Good Call!

Dana Scully

Actually..thats not tanking..412,000 units in three weeks has her sales trending toward platinum...thats really normal in the music industry these days...and not bad at all for her to add yet ANOTHER platinum plaque to her wall!! stop being so evil and ignorant when none of us have sold any records!!

Rick

Janet is sooooooo yesterday....she should hang out with Tara Reid, because both are outdated. Justin's cd is the bomb, wheras Janets is a bomb. Heard a few songs and does this bitch know how to sing any other way, she has no range, the only god thing about this cd is that you can melt it down and recycle the plastic. I see someone being dropped from her label and with good reason. Janet is a liar. a worshiper of her own tits and a Jackson Family Freak Prodigy! Good for her, the lying tramp.