George Michael: Pot "Keeps Me Sane"

10/20/2006 1:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

George MichaelBritish pop star George Michael told British TV stations ITV1 that pot is "the only drug I've ever thought worth taking" as he openly smoked a joint in front of TV cameras.

The interview took place backstage before a concert in Madrid where the drug is legal.

"This stuff keeps me sane and happy. I could write without it ... if I were sane and happy," he said. "I'd say it's a great drug, but obviously it's not very healthy. You can't afford to smoke it if you've got anything to do. Anything at all would be foolish."

He says in the interview that he has tried other drugs, but that pot is the only one he doesn't regret taking. "I think my life might be somewhere else if I'd chosen another avenue ... alcohol for instance. Christ, if I drank as much as I smoked. My God, I'd be like Keith Richards."

RebeccaBBBBBBB

at least keith richards isnt found slumped on his car steering wheel in public!

Kay

As for Keith, climbing trees and getting hit in the head with a coconut at his age is normal, I think not!!

We, are not amused.

Yeah boy!
...but sadly, who can afford the good stuff anymore?

beware of big dark HERPE caves

i totally agree with George!!!!!!

Kiru

George Michael is the coolest man alive....

A

I feel the same way George, I love you! I love weed!

Missy

I'm with George...although I'm on permenant hiatus now since I'm having a baby and raising a family (i.e....something to do!) however he does need to stop falling asleep at the wheel. It's never been clear to me if he was found somewhere off the road in a parking lot on those occasions or he was found in the middle of the street somewhere. Does anyone know?

Kiru

Missy -

He was asleep behind his wheel the two times he was found at the stoplight

the wise old owl

Has this guy taken a good look at himself lately.?He is not far from Kieth Richards. We know all about this guy's bad habbits and he has a bunch. Anonymous sex with strangers, liquid estasy and cocaine.

I don't know what kind of pot he is smoking. But I know I get plenty done after taking a hit of the good wood. It shouldn't slow you down or make you unproductive at all. I run 5 miles a day , take care of my family, and juggle 5 business. He is right about it keeping you " sane ".

Why in the hell it isn't legal here is beyond me. I said it before ............and I will say it again. Cigarettes make marijuana look like VITIMANS. If you smoke it out of a vaporizor it is harmless

. Thank goodness you can get it in L.A. if you have a prescription from a Dr. for it. The pot labs are great. You just go inside and point to the kind you want. You're not at the mercy of some pot dealer who hands you an ounce and says ' here you go ". This way you get choice. Stick to the pot George. Just give up all those other vices your not admitting to.

h8er#1

Lol!!! That's pretty damn funny. On the other hand, he has had his share of problems that are beyond Keith's. Everything else he said is true but leave Keith alone!!!!!! He's a family man who is still Rockin'!!!!!!

keep smokin george

I agree with most of you...It really does keep you sane..atleast it does me! And it should be legal, its better for you than alcohol and you never get a hangover. As far as not being able to function,what is he laceing it with? How could you not function after a few hits from the bong? This country would be a better place if you could just unwind with a joint...maybe I'll move to madrid....

Missy

Thanks Kiru.....he was found at a stoplight? Hmmmm...then me thinks he was doing something other than pot. I could see ONE time...maybe he was REALLY tired from overdoing it and he smoked out and just fell asleep waiting for the light, but it's been like 3 times? He's either got narcelepsy (sorry bout the spelling) or he's doing something else.

Deb

George thinks he is NORMAL? Hmm, yeah, O.K.!

Theresa

I love George. I love to smoke the chronic. Does anyone here watch Weeds on Showtime? Kick-ass show!!!!

Theresa