No Prenup

In Witherspoon-Phillippe

Split

11/1/2006 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

reese_ryan_excl_getty_200-1TMZ has learned that Reese Witherspoon's fortune is fair game as her marriage to Ryan Phillippe comes to an end-- specifically, there is no prenup.

The financial consequences are enormous. Witherspoon now commands $20 million a movie. In 2005, Witherspoon raked in a total of $30 million for two movies, "Just Like Heaven" and "Walk the Line."

Phillippe has been commanding around $2.5 million a film, making him bankable, but clearly not in his estranged wife's league.reese-ryan

Under California law, without a prenup, earnings during a marriage are divided up 50/50.

Connected sources also tell TMZ on a scale of one to ten, one being a peaceful breakup and ten being Hasselhoff, the Witherspoon/Phillippe split is a three. And, we're told, it will almost certainly stay peaceful, partly because of the children and partly because of the couple's personalities.

We're told there is no talk of reconciliation and that divorce papers are merely a matter of time.

Christina

I really liked them together!!! :o(
You can tell though that they will try and keep this as civil as possible, which is good for the kids...

MommaT

I agree with you too Kristina.

FamousIDIOT...........lay off the friggin "site" crap. Start your own f'n blog and leave this site.

bob

the law is the law.
why is it always okay when the woman takes half of the man's money and not the other way around? and i'm a woman..
fair is fair.

kathryn

I love to see no pre-nups.....I wouldn't marry with one. They were both young when they married, it's not like the Paul & Heather thing. They each deserve 1/2.

Amy

I don't think he should get sh*t ......he's the one screwin around ......now if she was the one screwin' around then yeah he should get half , but he screwed up or should I say got caught....and you want to reward his behavior with her money? i don't think so

Lea

The sad part of this is that the unwilling to stay committed is actually entitled to half. Ryan will no doubt take half. He is a very sad example for his children.

Eli

How sad!

the wise old owl

Ryan has been cheating on Reese with his Australian co-star Abbie Cornish. THey just wrapped the movie " Stop Loss " Reese found his Blackberry with incriminating messages from her and also ones he wrote back to her. Of course he said he didn't mean them. He thought she would cool down and forgive him.

But when he returned from location from his latest film he found that he was no longer wanted at the mansion they share together in Brentwood. I don't know if adultry will have any baring on whether or not he will get a large settlement. But it should.

Why is it he couldn't have ended his marriage 1st BEFROE he began pursing another woman.?? WHAT A JERK. At least he could have been honest with her. My opinion of him just sank. I dont think the creep should get a dime. Shame on him. The story will be coming out in the Enquiirer and there are wittnesses to their affair. Dinners in a resturant where they were at ......could see the couple making out. Geez.....at least he could have gotten a ROOM.

ka

To all of you "famous guy" haters.....No, I am not him and yes, he does talk some stupid shit sometimes but if any of you clicked on his link you would see that he is trying to do something with himself. Although becoming famous is not my biggest priority he has set a goal for himself and I wish him good luck. Some of you need to lighten up a little bit and realize that much of the posts on TMZ are posted to get the EXACT reaction you give...chill out all!

Carmen

If one person is cheating in the relationship, doesn't that affect the 50/50 split? I thought marriage was kind of like a contract and if one person is unfaithful, that would mean they were entitled to less?

Not saying anyone was cheating, but just wondering.

sam

I don't think it OK for the women or the man to take half when they did not earn it and do not deserve it. What a total loser this guy would be if he thinks he deserved half of her earnings. I hope he proves me wrong and is a stand-up guy about the whole thing, but somehow I doubt it. Freaking money hungry parasites.

pissed off at the system

I don't understand when people get divorced they think they are entitled to something. I mean sure, if you have a home together sell it and split the profits. Otherwise get over it and get a JOB! Take care of yourself and don't leech off of someone elses money.

NY

If this is all true about RP than he shouldn't get sh*t!!! What a pig.

sam

Abbie Cornish is not someone that I would brag about being with. She not quite as bad now that she's had those "things" taken off of her face but to say she's pretty is a real stretch. I have no idea what they were but they were hideous.Getting rid of the acne would help some as well but still, she's just a plain Jane looking girl.

cheryl

they are both famous. whether or not his cheating will hurt his image we shall see. but i think they should just leave the money as is. her money is hers his money is his. i am sure they have seperate accouts . Reese is classy and i don't think she will air their dirty laundry out there.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments