No Prenup

In Witherspoon-Phillippe

Split

11/1/2006 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

reese_ryan_excl_getty_200-1TMZ has learned that Reese Witherspoon's fortune is fair game as her marriage to Ryan Phillippe comes to an end-- specifically, there is no prenup.

The financial consequences are enormous. Witherspoon now commands $20 million a movie. In 2005, Witherspoon raked in a total of $30 million for two movies, "Just Like Heaven" and "Walk the Line."

Phillippe has been commanding around $2.5 million a film, making him bankable, but clearly not in his estranged wife's league.reese-ryan

Under California law, without a prenup, earnings during a marriage are divided up 50/50.

Connected sources also tell TMZ on a scale of one to ten, one being a peaceful breakup and ten being Hasselhoff, the Witherspoon/Phillippe split is a three. And, we're told, it will almost certainly stay peaceful, partly because of the children and partly because of the couple's personalities.

We're told there is no talk of reconciliation and that divorce papers are merely a matter of time.

kmark

I think Reese should get what she earned. Ryan had nothing to do with her making her money in movies. They should get what they earned. Ryan is a scumbag.

TowelChick

Isn't the flesh weak! We as humanes try to make sense in what we do in all things. We try to tell ourselves that we are hurting no-one with our actions until we get caught. I know mistakes are made daily, and that is for each involved to decide how to handle the problem at hand. Adultry hurts everyone. It shows a lack of loyalty, and even more it shows how little we think of ourselves. The funny thing about having a "fling" is in time, it will become as rountine as what we walked out of. Once the newness and the excitement of the moment is gone, you are back to where you were when you stepped over that line of no return.
The wonderful thing about having a forever partner is that most except you for what and who you are, sick, well, happy, sad, rich or poor. They see you at your best and see you at your worst and love both. You know each other likes and dislikes, Most know when the other needs that little hug or kiss to make the day a little bit better. As the old saying goes, The grass may look greener on the other side, but looks can be misleading in the end.

Shirl

IT IS TOO BAD THAT THERE IS SO MUCH COMPETITION AND JEALOUSY BETWEEN HOLLYWOOD COUPLES. THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A CHANCE.

sicntired

If I were him I would want a fair split, doesn't have to be half. Hopefully they will act like adults and do it right.

Shirl

IT IS TOO BAD THAT THERE IS SO MUCH JEALOUSY AND COMPETITION BETWEEN HOLLYWOOD COUPLES. THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A CHANCE.

Elaine

I say that IF he cheated, he deserves $nothing$
except of course, a communicable disease

john

Abbie Cornish was favoured, because she actually moved during love making

David Gambrell

If there was no pre-nup then Who is to say. We all know in big monry a pre-nup is kinda prerequisite. Youth has it"s short falls.Each has to learn the hard way. Love has it's tacks.

Jason Donaldson

WHO CARES. THERE ARE FAR MORE IMPORTANT THINGS GOING ON IN THE WORLD. LIKE GLOBAL WARMING AMERICANS DYING IN IRAG ,POVERTY AND GETTING BUSH OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE. SO WHAT THEY SPLIT BIG DEAL.

Bill

he should get half her fortune, screw the system, women cheat on their husbands all the time and take half their hard earnings, it must really kill u greedy women to see one of ure own fall into the trap..eh?

LatinaGirl

The man deserves half of her fortune just for putting up with her ugly/emaciated bitch ass!....She's been screwing one of Hollywood's hottest man for seven years, it's time to pay Baby!!!!

phil

Please,please explain why anyone gives a sh*t about this.
FYI :I accidentally got onto to this web page. Really, who cares. Get a life!

Amanda

>>>10. I don't understand when people get divorced they think they are entitled to something. I mean sure, if you have a home together sell it and split the profits. Otherwise get over it and get a JOB! Take care of yourself and don't leech off of someone elses money.
Posted at 2:40PM on Nov 1st 2006 by emily

---AMEN SISTER! I make MY money through hard work, and have too much pride to have an x husband give me money for alimony, like it's a concillation prize. An example is my mother, who has no problem collecting from my father 15 yrs after the divorce. Now, child support is a different thing if it's desperately needed by the single mother, or father in some cases, to provide for children. I'd likely throw that money in a college or trust fund for my kids, and provide for them off of my income. The ONLY thing I'd demand of an x husband is that he's a father to his children . . . that means more than dollars to a child.
Ok, so as a woman saying I have too much pride to take someone's money, hopefully as a man (and rich enough to live more than well), Phillipe would be the same and say "no thanks". As long as they both remain in their childrens' lives.

fred

My exwife was a free loader, had an affair and still took more than half because I earn more. If the law works this way when men earn more it should work the same when women earn more....until such time as each keeps the product of their labor

Dan

None (most) of you people aren't too smart. No where has he said that he wants half, deserves half, or is going for half. All of this BS is based on a law in the state of California that states - when couples divorce, they split everything 50/50. That's it, plain & simple. Why don't you whiners get a life. I mean really, how can you get mad because of someones speculation. Pitiful if you ask me. Why not let them work it out... now there's an idea!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments