"Lost" Diary: The Cost of Living

11/2/2006 2:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Back again with another edition of the "Lost" diary. This week's promos have hyped a castmember dying on the show. What better way to shock and entertain your audience than announcing your big plot points in your commercials? If ABC had marketed The Sixth Sense, the trailers would have said, "One of the people you think is alive in this movie is really dead." Have I mentioned how much I hate promos?

Ok, I'm fine now. Anyway, we only have one more new episode after tonight, so let's gobble up all the island goodness we can. As always, I watch Lost with a group of friends, and I write down what I see. This week I am joined by Ari, Lauren and April. On with the show ...

9:01 -- Eko flashback time. Seems that the themes of tonight's episode will be confession and sin -- and boy does Eko have his fair share of that.

9:03 -- And Eko's brother's ghost just confirms that. This has to be the only show on TV where getting killed off doesn't mean you're out of the show, except for All My Children.

9:05 -- Lauren has already proclaimed, "I don't know if I'm going to like this episode." That's the attitude. And a delusional Eko has just run off into the jungle. I'm sure he'll be fine.

9:09 -- Jack has decided to use his captivity time to get in shape. Henry Gale, on other hand, is now dressing like a cult leader -- oh wait, that kinda makes sense. And, oh by the way, the fact that Jack is asking Henry about the tumor just confirms my theory that the x-rays we saw last week belong to Locke. Or, at the least, Henry doesn't know he has a tumor.

9:10 -- Colleen funeral time. The whole "everyone dressed in white thing" isn't creepy at all. By the way, if Juliet walked into this room right now, Lauren would stab her in the neck with a pen. I wonder if she stirs up those feelings in every female viewer.

9:12 -- "Why did you show him my X-rays?" -- Henry Gale. Well, there goes my cool new X-ray theory. Man, I was feeling kinda smart there for awhile.

9:13 -- Locke, Sayid and Desmond are discussing strategy. Charlie said that Eko just kept saying "my brother" over and over again -- did it occur to anyone he could just be doing an impression of Desmond? And if I were missing, I wouldn't want Charlie and Hurley to be the search party looking for me.

9:14 -- Eko is adjusting to life as a priest. If he's in his brother's church, shouldn't someone in the village recognize him, considering he grew up there?

9:16 -- Guess what's is back? That's right, it's creepy black smoke time.

9:20 -- Locke has invited people to join his crew headed to the Pearl and the new guys are going to come along. These two do not fit in AT ALL. I am trying to be open-minded, but they stand out like a sore thumb -- I can't put my finger on why.

9:22 -- All of Eko's flashbacks today are leading up to him confessing his sins. If the island itself had a theme, it would be redemption and second chances. Will Eko get his?

9:24 -- So is the black smoke afraid of Eko? He stood up to it twice, and both times the smoke took off.

9:29 -- Ok, everytime we get an extended scene between Henry Gale and Jack, I get a little giddy. Some people complain about this season, but one thing that hasn't been lacking AT ALL is the writing. Instead of summing up this exchange, I am just going to give you three Henry Gale quotes that I immediately had to write down:

"We had such a wonderful plan to break you Jack."
"I want you to want to save my life."
"Two days after I found out I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky."

It's now official: There is no better character on TV right now.

9:34 -- My favorite thing about Eko flashbacks: the accents. If a book on tape were read by Eko, I would definitely buy it.

9:37 -- Eko's brother's body has disappeared. Of course it has.

9:42 -- I am not a religious man, but I think slaughtering people in a church is probably the kind of thing you need to go to confession for.

9:44 -- Hey, new girl has a theory about the monitors! OK, now the sound of her voice is starting to irk me. Everyone else on the island, and maybe I'm crazy here, actually SOUNDS like they have been on the island for 70 days. The new guys sound like they just walked out of their trailer. And yes, I noticed the guy with the eye patch -- I just have no idea what to make of him.

9:46 -- I was literally typing in "Juliet's apology is bullshit" when she started to play her version of the INXS video "Mediate" (Sorry for the random reference). OK, I'll get into Juliet more later, but I don't believe A WORD that comes out of her mouth... or anything she writes cue cards. Great scene though.

9:53 -- Eko's actions haven't gone over well in the village. But now we know why Eko built a church on the island -- he "owed" his brother one.

9:55 -- Eko's confession didn't go over well with his brother's ghost -- and yes, I feel silly typing sentences like that but with this show, you get used to it. Oh and again, Eko's confession: incredibly well-written. I forgive Eko, even if his brother's ghost doesn't...

9:57 -- ...which it sure doesn't look like he did. Whatever ABC paid for the black smoke special effects, they got gypped.

9:59 -- RIP Mr. Eko.

10:00 -- "He said, 'We're next.'" -- Locke.

Mildly reeling here, but time to figure out what we learned...

The new people suck... when the ghost of your brother asks you to confess, maybe you should... If the actors who play Michael and Walt got paid for the first five episodes, everyone should hire their agents.

Alright, we have two things to talk about here: Eko's death and Juliet's attempts to get Jack to kill Henry. Let's start with Eko -- I think we all saw this coming (man I hate ABC commercials). Here's the reason why I can totally understand Eko's death: he asked for it. As I said before, the theme of the island is redemption. When Eko's brother (aka the island) gave Eko the chance to confess his sins, and he turned them down, he basically gave the island the finger. So the island killed him. In the universe of "Lost," I totally get that.

There was actually debate in the room after the Juliet and Jack scene about whether or not Juliet is evil. For me, it's a no-brainer. I have said all along that I believe Henry Gale when he says he's the good guy. He's the guy with all the answers, so I believe every word he says. Juliet, on the other hand, as Sawyer was able to decipher in about two seconds, is not to be trusted. I don't even want to entertain the notion of Henry Gale getting killed. I think I would wear all black to work the next day.

This episode violated a few major rules for me (no revelations and bad flashbacks being the main offenders) but I absolutely loved it nonetheless. I give it a B+.

Here's my question of the week: Imagine you're Jack and you can kill either Henry Gale or Juliet, whom do you choose? You know my answer.

Jen

I think I might be a bigger nerd than you since I check the website for your LOST diary every ten minutes from 6:00 am on.

sull

what's this about there only being one more new episode???

Aimee

I absolutely miss Mr. Eko! He was my favorite character. All along his storyline was about coming to grips with his past in the home country. We learned last night that the whole purpose of the church he was building on the island was that he "owed" his brother one church. A good clues blog is here, LostExposed.com. So why the sudden turn from introspecively repentant to defiant? The clues may be as Locke implied maybe fate, maybe coincidence, but in the real world not the Lost world :). I also now am thoroughly confused as to whether the Others can or can't get off the island. Ben's elation that a spine doctor fell from the sky points to an inability to just hop on the boat and sail to the nearest hospital. Something or someone is keeping them isolated on there.

Liz

I loved this show. First, we all knew Eko was going to die because the actor who played him got a DUI. Aparantly the producer's of LOST take the law very seriously. Next, the reason that the new Losties are annoying is because they are too cheerful and trying way too hard. They really seem out of place because of it. Besides that, what the hell was the new girl wearing? Seriously? Arnst was so much better. If I had to choose, I would let Henry live simply to let the "others" duke it out on their own terms. I don't think that Jack should get in the mix.

Aimee

I absolutely miss Mr. Eko! He was my favorite character. All along his storyline was about coming to grips with his past in the home country. We learned last night that the whole purpose of the church he was building on the island was that he "owed" his brother one church. So why the sudden turn from introspecively repentant to defiant? The clues may be as Locke implied maybe fate, maybe coincidence, but in the real world not the Lost world :). I also now am thoroughly confused as to whether the Others can or can't get off the island. Ben's elation that a spine doctor fell from the sky points to an inability to just hop on the boat and sail to the nearest hospital. Something or someone is keeping them isolated on there.

Kelly

I don't like either of the new characters either. The new guy is a total Sawyer wanna be. Kill both of them off ASAP!

Jessica Williams

I believe you are DEAD on about Juliet!! I didn't believe her one bit after that video started playing.

The x-rays are still an iffy thing. It will be interesting to see what comes of that.

The Eko death was pretty predictable, I called it as soon as I saw the previews for the next episode last week. Sad, I liked him.

Thanks for your Diary - I look forward to it each week!!!!

Rachelle

I don't know if she realizes this...she made a comment about Michael and Walt...they're contract was not renewed...they're not coming back.

If they kill off Sawyer next week I'll be very unhappy camper.

What happend to Sun and Jin?? They showed Sayiid (I love him) but no Sun and Jin.

slut310

Dude....before that was an INXS video, Bob Dylan did it. INXS ripped off Dylan - 20 years later....

Ashley

Love your blog! The new people do suck. I don't get them. How about the token roles they gave them last night. Locke is certainly uber-observant - how did he not notice a working toilet or think that maybe, just maybe, those monitors were used for MONITORING something!

Crazy...can't wait until next week's 'best episode of the season.'

Heather

I hate Juliet. I hope Jack gets rid of her when he can. What I do not care for in these story lines is the fact that they cut off characters and we don't hear from them in weeks. Like Jin and Sun. Where is Michael? If his character is over, then why didn't we get to see clips of where they ended up? It irritates me, but I am addicted!

Jen

Well, perhaps Michael and Walt's contracts were not renewed but IMDB credits them for last night's episode and that gives me hope that they will come back some day.

Maybe the new guys (Nikki and Paulo) will have a premature epiphany and die.

mar

The thing about Eko, is that , in the original flashback, he went with the druglords in the place of his brother, so realistically, it would of been his brother, rather then him that lived that life. That is the reason I find it strange that his brother( smoke) killed him. The smoke consisted of more then his brother, because in the other flashback, the smoke had a woman with a headress.

I too think Juliet is manipulating Jack, but for some reason I think they are testing Jack. I think Henry may even know what is going on. I still get the creeps from Henry.

mar

where is the black lady from the Others. Did she leave the island? Also, the new people are annoying. The girls eyebrows are way to plucked for being on an island , unless she has tweezers and keeps them up, and she is way too perky.

scotgirl

Love this diary! Thanks!
As far as last nights eppy:
1) Loved Jack getting the upper hand
2) Loved Sayid back in the game
3) New Losties - too soon to tell, but just extra weight right now that could easily be lost!
4) Why wouldn't Eko confess - I thought he was all about repentance?
5)Juliet is a player and a half. Watch out Jack
6)Patch guy - pirates on an island? Do tell!
7) Did anyone else besides me think the black smoke that showed up behind Eko at the creek looked like a big chattering squirrel?? Rewound it multiple times on my DVR just to get the laugh! Beware the Squirrel!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments