Ed Bradley Dies of Leukemia

11/9/2006 2:21 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary CBS newsman Ed Bradley passed away earlier this morning at the age of 65.

Sources connected with CBS tell TMZ that several days ago, as a result of leukemia, doctors removed Bradley's spleen and subsequently his body shut down.

Bradley, who won 19 Emmys during his 25-year stint with "60 Minutes," had been ill for some time and underwent heart surgery about a year ago.

Bradley first joined the staff of "60 Minutes" in 1981 when Dan Rather left to replace Walter Cronkite as the anchor of the "CBS Morning News."

MommaT

My sympathy to his family. He will be missed.

SICK IGNORANCE

I didn't know he was sick but I did notice he was getting very thin. God bless you and your family. PEACE BE WITH YOU!

Brown

My sympathy goes out to his family.

sam

Good man Bradley, he'll be missed by all.

Lizzie

Ed Bradley gave us a look inside the minds of those he interviewed through his insightful questions and his amazing ability to really listen to what his subjects had to say. Thanks Ed, for your years of professionalism and true class.

Rachel

leave it to the nut jobs. how pathetic to have nothing better to do with one's "life". Millions loved you Ed. As a journalist it is fair to say you were a true class act and will be missed. I'm sure you are now in a better place, R.I.P.

SouthernGirl

This is really sad. I'm surprised, I didn't know he was sick. A great role model for all of America, he is especially a great black male role model for young black men. God Bless.

KayBee

RIP...Mr. Ed.....You are the truth. God bless you and your family...

Rachel

Ed Bradley transcended race. He was a great role model for anyone of any color. He exemplified class and professionalism, Millions are saddened by his death which says alot about the man. RIP Mr. Bradley.

Mad Balls

I meet Ed several years ago and when i did I asked him what the thing that bothered him the most , he returned this " I think besides war , starvation and cancer its' sad that I can't get a taxi in New York " I laughed but I was a bit shocked yet I had been to NY and I knew what he meant ..oh no ,me?, I am not black but that didn't shut my eyes to the Line of well dressed black men going crazy hailing a taxi in NY ...... He was a pure refined gentleman ..... Very elegant to listen to and well versed in History and Politics ....a most enjoyable evening listening to a wonderful man speak . he will be missed .

mgirly

I grew up watching Ed Bradley on 60 minutes with my parents. A class act and a handsome and talented man. This makes me so sad. He will definitely be missed.

Redneck Messiah

I truly truly truly hate Westboro Baptist Church. I just don't get it. Is this what they're (the Phelps family) aiming for? Is there a prize for being the most hated? Is it just a tax bracket? *sigh* I'm truly starting to question the validity of religion.

=o(

R.I.P. Ed Bradley

Rachel

I regret that I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Bradley. You were very fortunate Kevin to have done so.

ka

How sad to hear of the death of Ed Bradley. Too bad such a wonderful soul was taken from us so soon. More and more journalists should model themselves after Mr. Bradley. He was a class act to the end. Although strong on his opinion he reported facts and was always fair and balanced. You will be sorely missed!!! As for response #16......What spaceship did you just get off of? Talk about a lowlife scumbag crying for attention on a site where one of the greatest journalists has passed on....You need to get a clue buddy!!!! Log on to your Aryan homepage and rant over there....

MommaT

Post #25. At least you are not in the same STATE as the f'n PHELPS family. Having to see them and their "signs" is gettin old.
They hide behind the 1st amendment. Don't have the guts to face anyone. That entire family is NUTZ. Whenever Fred is out in public spewing his hate, he is wearing a bullet proof vest. Does THAT tell you anything. I don't know what it will take to get rid of them.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments