Richards -- "I'm Really Busted Up"

11/20/2006 10:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Richards publicly apologized for his racist tirade in an appearance on "The Late Show," but acknowledged that such sentiment had the potential to "come[s] through and fire[s] out of me." He tried to find an awkward parallel between his ugly rant and conflict that has arisen between blacks and whites since Hurricane Katrina.

Looking sallow, drawn, and speaking in halting fragments, Richards explained via satellite from Los Angeles to David Letterman and friend Jerry Seinfeld in New York, that he had lost his temper after some members of the audience interrupted his act and that he "took it badly," unleashing the racist invective that TMZ first aired this morning. He apologized to the people who took "the brunt" of his abuse, saying he was "really busted up," but then went on a strange tangent on race relations, saying he was "concerned about hate and rage" and about a "great deal of disturbance between blacks and whites" after Hurricane Katrina.

Richards did not say whether any other factors contributed to his actions, adding only that he would be doing "personal work" in the aftermath of the incident.

Audience members in the Ed Sullivan Theater, who were watching Richards on a screen, began laughing at Richards at first, thinking that the interview was a comedy skit, until Seinfeld admonished them, saying, "Stop laughing. It's not funny."

Lucinda

What the hell is wrong with everybody? He was being heckled, but when he turned the tables it offended everyone. What a surprise. You mean to tell me that most black people don't refer to white people using derogatory terms? Yeah right. And what is up with the person videotaping the performance? It looks like they were just trying to profit off of somebody else. So, most people don't like people of different races. Is that a surprise? Stereotypes didn't invent themselves. I hope Mr. Richards doesn't lose any sleep over this, it's ridiculous.

Anthony Neal

KKKramer is a racist bastered and the truth was divulged during his tirade. People are not born prejudice, it's a learned behavior. He most likely got his bigotry and ignorance from his parents. Two stupid people got together and had a stupid child. He was never talented or funny to me either.

Pizann0

I heard that the heckler's were also gay and cross-dressers. Gosh! a white guy heckling African-American, gay cross-dresser! And I heard that that comedy club only serves white bread sandwiches and white tortellia chips!

Dee

Micheal I forgive you. I think your aplology was heartfelt. We have all said and done things that we instantly regretted. It is true that it was said because somewhere deep in your heart you feel that way, but that does not make you a racist. Some people will deny this, some will use this as an opportunity to spew ingnorance and hatred, but again that is a heart issue. You have asked for forgiveness, Ask God for forgiveness, forgive yourself , and move on.

Sincerely
Dee (An African American)

Joe

My question? Where was management to control or remove the hecklers? Yes it was wrong for him to lose it,but should'nt the audience have some respect for a performer? Management blew chuncks on this one and should have removed the guilty parties in the audience. They are part of the blame.

umaya umisa

fucking aliens!!!!

Boltafied

I'm not surprise at all.

He only stated what MOST white people feel deeply. Atleast we've uncovered (through his own stupidity) another person that truly has a problem with black people (not AFRO-American) . I feel sorry for people like this only because their minds are not wrapped too tight to believe and feel so much hatred. Get some help Michael and understand why you feel thee way you do or STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM BLACK PEOPLE (we don't need YOU either)!!

white woman

I happen to have a Master's degree and I like what Chris says. We have a right to our opinion too.

Ken

umaya umisa, give it a rest. Unless you're 80 and your granma had you at 60, your grandpa wasn't a slave. He was prolly a victim of a real kind of racism you will never know. I was prolly more oppressed for being a poor bastard child than you were for anything.

white woman

#483 Your anger just shows how inferior you feel to us whities. You know we will always be superior to you.

Ken

Black Panther. Right on.

sam

Please you guys I have tears in my eyes form laughing my ass off. Stop already you're just too funny.

No Really Stop Already.

Dee

I really hurt for those person who are so enslaved to hate, they are boiling with hatred and ignorance. You must have a really unfulfilled life and a lot of time on your hands to be able to post so many racist post. If you really knew and liked who you are as a person, then you would not have the mission of trying to degrade others. People who deliberately try to hurt others are in need of intensive theraphy because they have issues with themselves. When you truely learn to love yourself and accept who you are, then you can love and accept others.

Carrie

Why did he keep saying 'afro' american? Is he such a biggot he doesn't know the proper term is african-american?

Tommie

TO #430-NICKLAS

YOU ONLY THINK THAT YOU HAVE WOKE UP, BUT YOU'RE STILL OUT THERE IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE SOMEWHERE.

I WOULD RATHER LIVE AROUND BLACK PEOPLE ANYDAY THAN TO LIVE AROUND A BUNCH OF PERVERTS, PEDOPHILES, MASS MURDERERS AND SERIAL KILLERS.NOW THAT'S BEYOND TRASH. THAT IS SCUM. THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE THAT YOU FIT IN ONE OF THOSE CATEGORIES.

AND YES WHITE PEOPLE ARE TO PART BLAME FOR SOME BLACK PEOPLES SITUATIONS BECAUSE BLACK PEOPLE HAVE OFTEN BEEN DENIED THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK, WORK, WORK.
BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT HANDED EVERYTHING ON A SILVER PLATTER LIKE WHITE PEOPLE. WHITE PEOPLE DON'T NEED TO ASK FOR ANYTHING BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS GIVEN TO THEM. SO THERE!

Previous 15 Comments | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments