Richards -- "I'm Really Busted Up"

11/20/2006 10:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Richards publicly apologized for his racist tirade in an appearance on "The Late Show," but acknowledged that such sentiment had the potential to "come[s] through and fire[s] out of me." He tried to find an awkward parallel between his ugly rant and conflict that has arisen between blacks and whites since Hurricane Katrina.

Looking sallow, drawn, and speaking in halting fragments, Richards explained via satellite from Los Angeles to David Letterman and friend Jerry Seinfeld in New York, that he had lost his temper after some members of the audience interrupted his act and that he "took it badly," unleashing the racist invective that TMZ first aired this morning. He apologized to the people who took "the brunt" of his abuse, saying he was "really busted up," but then went on a strange tangent on race relations, saying he was "concerned about hate and rage" and about a "great deal of disturbance between blacks and whites" after Hurricane Katrina.

Richards did not say whether any other factors contributed to his actions, adding only that he would be doing "personal work" in the aftermath of the incident.

Audience members in the Ed Sullivan Theater, who were watching Richards on a screen, began laughing at Richards at first, thinking that the interview was a comedy skit, until Seinfeld admonished them, saying, "Stop laughing. It's not funny."

Previous 15 Comments | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39

cc

I'm saddened by the comments cheering Michael on for what he's done. He's a comedian-rule number one-if what he's doing isn't working, he needs to prepare himself for the possibility of being heckled. That should be a given. Everyone has a bad day when they can't respond to a distraction like that...but that is what separates the professionals from amateurs. He could have responded with some measure of class and retained his dignity, and let the hecklers look stupid-no matter what their color was.

As far as the racial slurs-they're wrong in both directions... I've heard people from southern states refer to themselves as "crackers" "rednecks" "bubbas"...almost as readily as people within the black community call one another 'niggas'...it's all wrong, in my opinion.

But I think what's sadder than a man at the end of his career making statements that essentially seal his coffin, are the epithets and hateful cheerings-on of people who have so much nastiness built up in them to simply say

"that's okay michaelI don't have a problem with it and actually I honor you for being brave enough to be truthful with your feelings....Those nasty's in the audience weird rude to you. They think they can get away with be loud, ignorant and rude...plus they are lazy and they steal all the time."

To the person who made that post: a) learn how to proof read-i copied your words verbatim; and b) who exactly is it that is lazy and steals all of the time? You know every single black person on the planet? We ALL steal? We're ALL lazy? it's comments like this that make this world so sad.
God have mercy on us. please.

DAVID

Wow!
angry lil asian girl
what did your mommy do to you to piss you off so much......you should call her and just talk, she would like that...

tanisha

i noticed the word jamaicans written in one of these blogs
written by a pinko , and i just wanna let you know
that if any one of you crackers ever wanna put you
balls where your mouth is then come on down to jamaica
and just even look at a black person wrong and youre
guranteed that youd never be heard from again . and
i know that all you rednecks will wanna respond and say
somthing smart but when push comes down to shove
even a black woman could kick anyone of your ass

and thats the only explination for your behaviour its becuse
you are deep down just a bunch of cowards , and you are scared shitless of us niggers ,and you are right because we would be h
happy to fuck you up any day of the week .

Tommie

TO #389-EDWIN

I WOULD LOVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE YOU FACE TO FACE, ONE ON ONE, AND THEN WE'LL SEE AS I WATCH YOU EAT THOSE WORDS. BECAUSE YOU AND EVERYBODY ELSE KNOWS THAT A WHITE PERSON IS SCARED OF A BLACK PERSON AND WILL RUN HIS A__ OFF TO GET AWAY FROM A BLACK PERSON, NO MATTER IF THE BLACK PERSON IS BY HIMSELF OR 4 OR 5 DEEP. BETTER YET, DO ME A FAVOR AND JUST SAY SOMETHING OFFENSIVE TO A BLACK MAN IN PUBLIC WHEN HE IS BY HIMSELF AND YOU'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS. AND YOU CAN'T OUT RUN A BLACK MAN, SO JUST STAND THERE A TAKE IT LIKE THE LITTLE CRACKER BOYYOU ARE!

lorrasm22

Life is to short Say your Sorrys mean what you say..What he said about the fork that was a bit much...but the N word is used so much by everyone that it only becomes a problem when it is used during a arguement..move on already everyone and I mean everyone has a little bit of racial slurr..sticks and stones...when we make thing like this into such a big deal it rubs off on our children..we need to look at the big picture not just the right now..

Tommie

TO #368-DAVE

HAVE YOU EVER STOPPED TO THINK THAT MOST OF THE HORRENDOUS CRIMES ARE COMMITTED BY WHITE PEOPLE, I.E., CANNIBALISM, PEDOPHILIA, MASS MURDERS, SERIAL KILLINGS, ETC. THERE MAY BE MANY BLACKS IN PRISON, BUT FOR EVERY 10 BLACKS IN PRISON, THEIR CRIMES DON'T ADD UP TO EVERY 1 OF A WHITE PERSON CRIMES.

TO#369-DARREL

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU'RE BLACK, YOU'RE JUST USING THAT AS AN EXCUSE TO SAY WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. A BLACK PERSON WOULD NOT SAY THAT UNLESS HE WAS A STRAIGHT UP "UNCLE TOM".

Devi Roach

In response to #359 -- YOU ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY. YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE DOWNFALL OF THE HUMAN (NOTICE I SAID "HUMAN") RACE. YOU ARE IGNORANT AND PROUD OF YOUR IGNORANCE AND A DISGRACE TO ALL OF US. YOUR KIND SHOULD BE EXTINGUISHED FROM THIS EARTH AND WILL BE WHEN THE LORD HAS HIS FINAL SAY. SHAME ON YOU. ARE YOUR CHILDREN PROUD OF THEIR DADDY, OR DON'T THEY EVEN KNOW WHO HE IS???

Lou

It is soooo ridiculous. I am hispanic and when I see a hispanic, black or any other race try to get laughs by saying racist commetns it's ok. But the minute a white man says the "N" word...all hell breaks loose. Here is the funny part..go to just about any "My Space" page and watch the "N" word fly...heck I hear it on the streets everyday. They can call each other the "N" word everyday... and of course it's ok. We do it....we are racist. Mencia says the word "Cracker", "Beaner", "wetback", etc..and it's funny. NOW, let a white person say it... enough is enough people, quit watching the whites so close waitingm to find a reason to bitch and protest. how about watching yourselves... like your videos that refer to women as bitches and hoes, and alwyas flashing the $$$, the gold and violence... please... chill out already!!!
IF YOU DON'T WANT THE "N" WORD SAID, THEN NO ONE CAN SAY IT... IT IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL WORD... YOU DID NOT CREATE IT. LOOK BACK IN HISTORY AND SEE WHO (RACE) DID......... nuff said.....

Lou

TWO WORDS.... DOUBLE STANDARDS...... can I say N*GGA? I can beacuse I am a minority...but the whites can't...so...N*GGA N*GGA N*GGA N*GGA N*GGA...there...see how ridiculous that sounds??? We have better things to worry about than using a stupid word that we all hear in comedy shows, movies, etc.... YOU DONT WANT WHITES TO SAY N*GGER??? THEN DONT SAY IT YOURSELF. Oh yeah, women are ladies, not bitches or hoes.... unless they liked to be call that... which puts us back on square #1. tsk tsk...sad...

nocturnal

I have read most of the post up here, and I am shocked! When i
see all the hatred posted on this message board it saddens me to see that so many people are so hateful towards each other. Mr Richardsons racial tirade is a letdown for all races. Especially white people. Some of the most evil men this world has known to exist are of the caucasion race.Examples( Hitler, Stalin,Hoffa, Jeffery Dalmer,Ted Bundy,Charles Manson, KKK and so on) Every large scale humanitarian disaster has been at the hands of White people. After reading these post I am convinced that most American born white people are racist. I dont mean STEREOTYPICAL but racist. I can tell by some of the comments that my theory holds true. I guess having a small penis is very frustrating being that the caucasion woman is partial to the negro penis. I understand now. All I see is acts of cowardice from these people who claim that their race is so powerful. If so, how come if white person is in the vicinity of a negro person they feel so vunerable to getting hurt, robbed or passed in a line? I know why, because they are afraid of our physical and mental strength and that makes you the racist a COWARD. If you look at the way this country is being shaped and how the Negro and Latino are dominated this sports era,I can understand how the caucasion person feels.The racist white man's past is filled with failures for example: (the Holocaust, Slavery, the bomb in Hiroshima etc..) Mr Richardson said he was sorry. The only thing he is sorry for is being a bad example for his kids, siblings and everybody he is close to.Then again I am not surprised. its just another white man being himself. Racism is Failure, and the caucasion human being is forever stricken with this failure. I have never trusted the caucasion race and never will. The history of the white man is a library of pain ,turmoil and hatred filled with shattered lives and dreams. I say to my Negro, Latino , American Indian,Arabic and Asian brothers to keep your head up and keep GOD first. ANY race that teaches hate because of color is no brother of mine. I will not follow the way of Satan and evil intentions......
Live and love life..... nocturnal.

Previous 15 Comments | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39