Kramer Uses the "Black Friends" Defense

11/27/2006 12:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

In a desperate effort to salvage what's left of his poisoned reputation, a "shattered" Michael Richards told Reverend Jesse Jackson that he "loves" black people, adding that some of his "best friends were African-Americans."
Kramer says sorry

Interviewed on Jackson's "Keep Hope Alive" radio show on Sunday, the former "Seinfeld" star again claimed that he harbors no racist feelings toward black people, and blamed his racist diatribe on months of pent up rage that, "has no color."

Richards explained that he should have recognized his problem, when his frustration with hecklers started affecting his comedy routine. "It's a rough and tumble environment," Richards claimed, "I've been noticing how aggressive my work had been getting."

Jackson was convinced that the problem had deeper roots, telling Richards, "You used the word nigger, and then the lynching scene ... have you been here before?" Richards responded, "No, no, no, no, no. That's why I'm shattered by it. The way it just came through me like a freight train."

According to Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, the disgraced actor has already begun psychiatric counseling in Los Angeles to learn how to manage his anger and understand why he made the racist remarks.

Wicked

Michael is in his late 50's...has a wealth of 50 million dollars...HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO A THING NOR SHOULD HE.

CHILL OUT YOUR NASTY ASS PEOPLE AND GET OVER WHAT HE SAID.

I LOVE YOU MICHAEL

LOVE,

LACI

Greg

Wow! Looks like he's really regreting what he said! Of coarse I don't know if it's for real or for his carreer, which was really over after seinfeld anyway. It's never good to lose your cool and say things you don't mean!!

Wicked

you are all ignorant people...power to Michael Richards

peace out

fingrsniffer

Hey KBRush, get over it you porch monkey!

fingrsniffer

You tell those nigger yu no seet! Rock on!

greytalli

Nothing would have come out of his mouth if it hadn't been in his heart. Same with Mel Gibson. Great! He sure went to the right person - Jesse Jackson is nothing but a rabble rouser and will bring up the race card any time he can. 2 peas in the same pod - how cozy!!!!

Dakfeld

Is it time for wailing and national debate every time a person cracks under stress?

The hecklers, the sue happy and those who exploit the race issue for their careers are the real problems.

What a mean and predatory society we have become.

Timothy Trautman

Enough! Money need not be involved in the apology. We see here that stupidity is painful, as it should be. Equally stupid people have the notion that money should be made on this.

bethany

Jesse Jackson got caught stealing donated $$ from the Rainbow Coalition to spend on his mistresses.

This guy is a con artist

Wicked

#111 BKRush

I'm white...just to clear that up. You sound very intelligent. I agree with your post except for the part about whites having to apologize. Are you saying apologize for what our ancestors did to yours? Because I think this is a big part of todays problem.

With all due respect, I realize you want to teach your children about their ancestors and history and heritage...but sometimes the translation of this perpetuates all the bad feelings with both races and it's just a vicious circle.

I don't see why I should apologize today for what my people did years ago...I just think it's a mixed bag. But if it makes you feel better, I will apologize to you here and now. I am sorry. I don't think you should be having to suffer today dealing with the same sort of hateful, prejudice and ignorant people that still occupy space.

Anyway, thanks for your post.

Best regards,

Tom

Becky

What kind of headline is that??

You say it as if you know he's lying. Do you know that he has no black friends? If not, then why are you writing a story like this?

TMZ is doing it's best to stir the pot and create anger and hate between people, and in my opinion that is worse than what Richards did. At least he apologized, and many times too I might add. TMZ should apologise for deliberately trying to create more hate between different ethnic groups.

Rachel

BK Rush- did you know that Richards also said he was apalled at what alot of whites were saying in defense of him? As a white woman I know I am. You sound like a very educated, intelligent, thoughtful person and you make alot of good points in your post. I think it was more of a rage issue for Richards than race, and I truly believe he's sorry. There are alot of awful posts on this issue on both sides. I think it comes down to economics more than anything. The people that obviously cannot see past race come across as hateful, ignorant, bitter people that probably have VERY little in life and are looking for someone else to blame rayher than themselves. It's good to see a positive comment like yours for a change.

north woods

I Love Kramer! and I agree with everything he said.
KRAMER RULES!!!!!

lili

HEY! JIM CROW, & YU NO SEET,

Please, I am a fellow whitey. I do recognize you as being the kids in the classroom who kept failing everything b/c you were so dumb! i was the A student, so I was able to go on to the ivy league.

yes, I worked hard. I actually went on to the ivy. Perhaps you weren't able to keep up in class, so now you make up lies about other races to make your dumb a*s feel better.

Guess what? It's not working. Yes, I went to great schools, and studied with alot of smart white people. But guess what? Black people too; we are all far along in life, blacks and whites. You hate yourself. Or someone beat you up, and this makes you feel better. But you sound so dumb. Please do not embarrass my white race; you do NOT speak for me, or my white friends. We have blacks in our country club, and will contunue to respect accomlished individuals. You, clearly, are not.

Again, do NOT speak for me, or my white race. As anyone knows, we are all related at some point. Silvana, from Italy, you are wise. My father is also European, and we observe the same lies in AMerican race identification. You so called hate filled whites, you are potentially black also...there is a whole website devoted to whites ( yes, blond, straight hair, blue eyes) who discovered by chance that their great grandmothers had been black indeed.

The lies that america propogates necessitates black history month, b/c american history is misrepresented. the truth is never told. Hide that black history, and the rape and theft of black people. No, not 200 years ago. Still in the 1960's when the black race was still officially seperated in AMerica. If blacks are so dumb, then why did white americahave to deny them the education that they craved? Why did americans burn black businesses? Well, the answer is obvious...white america feared the competition. White America feared the strength, and competition, and most of them made their money not on intellectual pursuits, but on the forceable abuse of blacks. Not exactly a mark of superiority.

Most white americans were descendants of indentured servants, that is prisoners, murderers, convicts ( tw, jim crow, yu no seet) clearly your ancestry.
The most educated caucasians would never spew such nonsense. We have had the courage to read the books, and the facts are there.

Anyway, I do share the love of all people, and judge humans by behaviour.

RICHARDS WAS A DISGUSTING FOOL WHO PROVOKED THE 2 BLACKS...VIEW THE TAPES. DO NOT OPINE IF YOU HAVE NOT VIEWED ALL OF THE TAPES.

p.s. "cracker" is not a very offensive term, fools. again, do NOT speak for me.

Squeaky

To anyone out there. Two things- (1) Black rappers, you HAVE to take responsibility for one of the most hated and evil words to describe black people taken by you, rappers--and put into song. Now, ANYBODY and I DO mean ANYBODY feels as if they can use the word "nigger" with impunity, without causing any hurt. I've seen white guys, I've seen Hispanic guys, driving down the street listening to some rapper's song on their CD, shaking their heads while the word "nigger" is repeatedly being heard. You can't imagine the type of mental, psychological, spiritual sting, stab in my heart that I get from seeing this. And YOU, black rappers, are responsible for this. This psuedo softening of the word "nigger." (2) And as far as Jesse Jackson goes, or "Jessie Boy" (as I like to call him), there are so many horrible things going on--on the SOUTH SIDE of Chicago--let alone the entire city, that, in my opinion, he needs to have his ass HERE, trying to straighten things out, as opposed to every time I look around, he's in somebody's face !!