Leno Sues: You Stole My Jokes!

11/30/2006 8:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay Leno"There was a 194-car crash in L.A. -- Luckily, the guy in the first car was still able to complete his call."

That joke might be funny to you, but Jay Leno isn't laughing. The funnyman claims that this wisecrack -- and several other jokes -- were published in joke books without his permission. Now, Leno and comedienne Rita Rudner, several comedy writers and big-gun NBC Studios, are asking a judge to protect their punchlines.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in federal court, the comedians claim a "comedy writer" named Judy Brown "sent representatives to comedy clubs to record comedians' routines, so she can then copy the jokes into her books and profit from the original comedic works of others." Brown is also accused of ripping material straight from "The Tonight Show." click to launch

The suit says Brown published approximately 19 "jokebooks" loaded with "stolen" material.

According to a statement from NBC, the lawsuit was filed with philanthropic intentions. "Jay has, in the past, compiled such material in books and donated his proceeds from those sales to various charitable organizations. Jay and NBC Studios intend to donate any amounts they recover in this lawsuit to charity."

Seriously

Wait Jay, you mean someone stole the jokes SOMEONE ELSE wrote for you?

Rah-Rah

What??!!.............

James

Jay Leno stole half his acts from Howard Stern. What a douche bag for calling out someone that does that same thing he does.

tattoo

Thats how he got his stole them. He crying because he's not getting any attention like the sluts and thugs in Hollywood. His career is going down the tubes also.

Wicked

This is so stupid. Everything anyone ever says..it has already been said before. Everything. Period. Dumbasses.

caveman

to the people buying the stolen leno jokebook, you might be interested in my new books, "deep thoughts" by L. lohan" and "marriage advice" by b. spears.
you're in luck, just in time for xmas.

caveman

oops, forgot the latest, "acting for dummies" by j simpson and "sing like manilow" by C. aiken.
My publisher has a few more copies of "loving your wife to death" by O. simpson, so you better hurry.

Charless Anderson

Jay Leno:
What will you do when you don't have Bill Clinton to kick anymore.
You should be ashamed of your self.Get some new STUFF. You may think your funny but I and a lot of Americans don't think so.You don't make a pimple on Johnny Carson's back side.

Freelols.com

Charless -

Forget to take your medication today?

Seriously

Hey free yourself, you're starting to get on my nerves.
Must you be such a post whore with that same innane saying?
Can't you come with something pertaining to the subject?

edgar_pasadenaupinhere

HEY GUYS LETS JUST BE GLAD JAY LENO IS SET TO BE GONE IN 2009. CONAN O' BRIEN COMES IN .UNLIKE JAY CONAN ACTUALLY HAS TALENT ,FUNNY AS HELL. LENO IS A HAS BEEN ALREADY AND HE KNOWS IT THATS WHY HES STRIRRING UP A BS LAWSUIT. BUT HOLYWIERD WILL STILL SHOW HIM NO LOVE LIKE THEY HAVE SO MANY YEARS IN THE PAST. JAY LENO REMINDS ME THAT OTHER IDIOT REGIS PHILMAN THOSE ARE 2 TOOL BOXES WHO NEED TO RETIRE AND RIDE THEIR HARLEYS ALL DAY STAY OFF THE AIR

Greg

why all his jokes are bad anyway!! Why would one want to use them

Mad Balls

Too Bad I was watching when Jay ripped a line from my blog thread on Paris Hilton LINE FOR FRIKIN LINE . No F&cking 100th monkey here . I had a freind who reads my Blogthreads tell me that Skinny -ass Carson Daly ripped a whole paragraph from me . DICKHEAD . I am starting to think everyone in hollywood is like P. Diddy . You pay for entertainment and what you get is on the cheap made up to look new . At least Carson admits to reading the Blogs at TMZ.com and Cooler .I agree Conan ROCKS and I cant wait although I am not sure the 11:30 crowd is ready for the masturbating bear . Or Vice versus . The other Latenight fools think we are stupid . ALL TOGETHER NOW >>>>>> DICKHEADS !!!!!

snyggast

Shows how much these f***tards know what they're talking about. Leno, unlike Letterman or Conan, actually writes his own punchline. No matter how retarded they are it's his. Would just let people use your lyrics, photos, punchline without your permission? If you say yes, maybe that's why you're still living paycheck to paycheck.

Helen

Wow, I thought Leno was number one in the late night slot...Conan is good, but kinda slapstick...he needs to grow up just a bit because at times he does act toooo silly. He needs to change his format a little...maybe he needs to show us his other talents than just sitting behind the desk...I know his voice isn't all that bad....Well, I never miss Leno ... that's it...end of my comments...

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments