"Idol" Hopeful Nixed from H'wood for Pot Rap?

2/7/2007 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mugshots of Akron Wilson and Ashlyn CarrAkron Watson, an "American Idol" contestant from Dallas and one of the feel-good stories of the new season, has been disinvited from the Hollywood round of the show, possibly after producers discovered a pot bust on his record.

Watson, whose San Antonio audition aired on last night's "Idol," was arrested in April 2003 for misdemeanor possession of marijuana, according to court records obtained and posted by PegasusNews.com, by way of Reality TV Magazine. He was headed to Hollywood after impressing the judges with his singing, and his story. But Watson tells Pegasus News that two days before he was scheduled to leave for Hollywood, he received a call saying that he would not be competing anymore "for unknown reasons." "Idol" producers did not comment on their withdrawn invitation.

Meanwhile, another contestant from San Antonio, facemaker Ashlyn Carr, was reportedly arrested in August for pouring sugar into the gas tank of her ex-boyfriend's car while a student at Sam Houston State University, according to a report in The Houstonian Online.

When confronted by police, says the Houstonian, Carr confessed to the crime.

A spokesman for FOX had no comment.

jeff

Minor things can be let go. If you look at Ice -T, public enemy to name a few. Nobody is perfect. If they were that perfect these guys wouldn't have made it.

i don't like this spoiled bitch

TO THE RACIST #57 F*** YOU I KNOW YOU ARE A A**HOLE!!!!!!!!!

gwen

Talk about hypocrisy. Which is worse? Some guy having a misdemeanor pot arrest that's over with, or the fact that Constantine Maroulis (the only one confirmed, but I'm sure there were others) carried his weed around in a jar during the American Idol tour. Over international borders as well.

And if you think the AI tour production staff does not provide all the free alcohol that the underage finalists can drink during the tour you are wrong, wrong, wrong. I've seen at least one of them so drunk at the end of a show that she could hardly walk.

Michael

Ummm I dont know why you guys are being so judgemental on any of the contestants regardless of what they've done in relation to drugs.I guess those who are in support of not allowing good potential singers to go to the next round have never seen True Hollywood Stories...talent is talent !!! So you wont purchase a CD or a DVD if the actors or singers regardless of their talent had or has a drug or drinking problem? Will you refuse to watch a TV show or go see a movie because whoever just got out of rehab? Think about it..these people aren't even stars yet so there's no need for the harsh treatment.Not everyone can live a squeeky clean life like some of ya'll out there but can you sing? If not S.T F.up..& continue being a viewer/critic & nooo I dont smoke weed or drink.

Kathie is a phony

To GET A LIFE ASSHOLE (and you must be referring to yourself...)...Learn how to speak and write dickhead, it's "you are AN asshole"-- not "you are "A" asshole"! I rest my case! I'm only racist against idiots like YOU and Farrah! Unfortunately, your leagues are many...

george vieto

Na na na na na na na na na na hey hey goodbye from American Idiot. Now get out here you knucklehead and I mean it.

Star

If you can sing, you're an American Idol?

Why not change the title to American Singer?

DaMama

Bo Bice told the AI producers about his arrest before he even auditioned. So has other contestants.

If these two did not disclose their arrests thinking they could hide it, they should be booted off, no matter how good they are. That's why Corey Clark was booted off in Season 2.

And as far as AI being racist, puh-lease! It's obvious you people who scream racism do not even watch the show. If anything, it became sexist by separating the top 12 into 6 guys and 6 girls. Last year the guys were much more talented than the girls and separating it by gender rather than talent was STUPID.

As for AI being rigged..........DUH! Anyone who watched the last 2 seasons know that Carrie Underwood was the pre-selected winner, and that Simon pushed through Kellie Pickler last year, despite the fact that she didn't have one ounce of talent.

AI keeps around the singers who get the most text message votes. Text messaging brings in more money for AI and AT&T. Last year, Taylor Hicks was the top text message vote getter. Even though I love Taylor and am glad he won, Chris Daughtry was the favorite.

Bo Bice was the top text message getter in season 4. In my opinion he was more talented that Carrie and should have won. Clive Davis pushed pop music on him and his CD was not what it should have been. Carrie Underwood got singing lessons and coaching in stage presence, so she's vastly improved since she won AI.

The only stand out I've seen this year is the one woman who was a back up singer for years. She was great. I really liked her a lot. I also liked the curly haired Jack Osborne-type dude who was very unique. And I really liked this girl who was arrested for the vandalism! She was unique but has GOT to do something with those distracting facial ticks when she sings! But if she's out, I dont' think this years AI is gonna be anything special.

Mary Worth

I agree that AI is fixed! In the last weeks of AI, in the last three yrs, I tried to vote for a favorite contestant, but the phone would just keep on ringing. Then the connection would be cut off! Had to try again and again.

ann

Paula has been on some sort of drug now ever since this show started.......what a hypocrit........she has a cocaine problem or something...and she(they) have enought nerve to humilate some one for pot of which happened 3 years ago....they better drug test Paula...she can even sit still,,how can she judge people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k. oconnor

It's insane to keep someone off the show for a 3 year old pot bust. It should have been leagalized years ago.

Pat

I agree that people make mistakes , as far as I know there has only been one perfect person .. Akron made a mistake , almost 4 years ago , has there been anything on his record since???? Give me a break I was not a Bo fan , but wasn't there a drug related problem with him and look where he is now ... I mean this kid is trying to better his self , help his family and i am sure would be a roll model for other kids unlike our million dollar sports stars who still do drugs and get smacked on the hand .. Give the kid a break hear his side of the story ,, where is justice .....

Helen

With reference to the comments made by Dottie, American Idol didn't
hire detectives to investigate this young man. He was busted by a TV
Reality Magazine with the help of the news media which is a shame.
This happens all the time. The tabloids and other similar sleeze media
spend obscene amounts of money and time digging up the past of
the famous.
Frankly, I don't care what this young man did in the past. It's what he is
today that counts but AI has asked others to leave due to past criminal
history. That's life.
By the way, if he has to go home, so should the young lady. Sugar in the
tank may sound silly but she caused serious damage to the young man's
car. She was on the bubble anyway and probably wouldn't make the

Tristy

I agree with the comment number 17, if you lie then you don't deserve to be there at all, it is part of the prequalifying to enter the contest. I was also against letting Miss America serve the United States also, this is another contest that is suppose to be about Morals and honesty but yet she was allowed to go to rehab and continue her reign, now if we think about this what does this show the girls entering the next time, that it is ok for them to drink and hang at bar rooms and such, because Mr Trump will give them a second chance? This is really screwed up. I would not want her as a role model for my kids.

donna

what about Bo Bice? Wasn't he arrested on drug charges once? And if that was true when I read it why was he not booted also?