Methadone Babies -- Not "Sexy"

2/19/2007 3:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

When it comes to Dannielynn's weight, Anna Nicole might still get her wish ... and it doesn't involved a lo-cal baby formula.

TMZ contacted a medical professional at celeb-friendly Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, who informed us that long-term effects on a child born to a mother on methadone include slowed growth; meaning Dannielynn could have a lower weight and smaller size than un-methed tots.

Anna Nicole: click to launchOther side effects may include both impaired behavioral development and organizational abilities. Short-term effects the baby might experience in the first year are involuntary muscle spasms, irritability, high pitched crying, diarrhea, disturbed sleep and inconsistent breathing patterns.

If the baby is a little off, it will be difficult to say what is attributable to methadone ... and what part to genetics.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Shelley

Hopefully the baby will be just fine--she at least deserves her health, there is not much else on her side at this moment!

siux

i can't believe the dr. would give her drugs.. a lawyer maybe a dr.????

Gimme a break

Give me a break! Can they please confirm first that Anna was even taking the Methadone? How about her toxicology results come in, then make the assumptions. Let the poor girl rest in peace.

lubug

I hope her baby turns out to be just fine. Taking drugs while pregnant is so incredibly irresponsible.

That being said, I've never been a fan of hers, however I think the last comment in the article is in extremely poor taste.

Erin

it doesn't involve (says involved) baby formula

PerezSux

Poor Dannielynn is probably doomed no matter what happens. It's such a parade of freaks that there doesn't seem to be a single sane/healthy option for her. If only Brangelina would adopt her!!!

the observer

saw stern holding the baby on tv, it is still the size of a newborn at five months! ER visit, STAT! And call child protective services while your at it!

Charlotte

The medical field needs to get its shit together. It's said over and over meth is not harmful to the baby, then someone in the field says it is harmful. WTF?

the wise old owl

The most selfish act of a mother is to continue her drug use during pregnancy. Anna put her needs 1st ..........the child always came 2nd. It is very sad testimonial to her parenting skills.

HKS allowed this behavior to go on and ENCOURAGED IT. He is just as much at fault as she is. Larry Birkhead is going to have a long hard road ahead of him caring for this child. We don't even know the LONG TERM EFFECTS that Anna's drug use will play on this little girl. She did Xanex too ( which causes many birth defects. ) It states very clearly on the warning lable " do not take while pregnant. "

I believe that HKS killed Daniel to rid himself of any competition for Anna's love and devotion. He kept Anna in a drugged out state so he could CONTROL her. Once the will was secure and he had everything to GAIN he desided to move forward with his plan to " FINISH HER OFF " When she started getting " soft " towards LB and contemplated on " getting back together " with him.......HKS moved in for the " KILL". I'm sure he wanted to wait and kill her on the boat trip back to the Bahamas ( where no emergency medical help would be available ) but even the " best laid plans " have to be altered. He must have felt there was some urgentcy to do it NOW..... With the formal Inquest rapidly approaching in the Bahamas........HKS knew that Anna had the information needed to convict him for causing Daniel's death . He must of sensed she was growing tired of him.

He is a selfish and controlling man. Out specifically for his own agenda. Funny how Karma works. He is not going to get away with any of this. He can't keep Anna's freinds from speaking up now and exposing him for the liar and the minipulator that he WAS and IS. I hate this man with every fiber of my being. Anna had many weaknesses and was extremely flawed and HKS used those weaknesses to his advantage. I hope he kills himself.

Anna had many problems and needed HELP. She didn't deserve to die. It's very sad that HKS cut her off from those who tried to help her. His actions clearly show that he had only nefarious intentions concerning Anna's well being. HE IS GOING DOWN. It won't be soon enough for me.
I hope he enjoys his freedom while it lasts. Once the finial details are released his guilt will be out there for all to see. JUDGEMENT DAY IS COMING.

lola

TJ

Anyone who said taking methadone while pregnant is perfectly safe is an idiot. Any drugs cross the placenta and enter the baby's bloodstream. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out! When I was pregnant I wouldn't even take an aspirin or drink coffee because I did not want to take any risks at all. When I was in labor I also refused any pain medication or an epidaural. I was not trying to play the hero it was just my overriding concern for the safety of my baby. Once a woman decides to bring a new life into this world her priorities and choices should always revolve around what is best for the helpless baby. Women who want to abuse drugs, drink, smoke and party every night should either use good birth control or have her tubes tied!

Lori

Praying that her beautiful little girl will be just fine.

Isabella

I think I have a grip on the "sexy" baby thing...

Anna struggled with her weight for a time...I'm certain she knew it's been proven that babies who tend to be "pudgy" keep fat cells that have been proven to cause weight problems, (or so they say) later in life.

Maybe it was Anna's screwed up way of keeping the baby from a weight problem later in life? She didn't seem to have a grasp on the king's English exactly.... I don't know.

I'd like to know if the experts have also spoken about "depression" as a side to drug addicted babies...which it has been said, is usually a problem later in life.

Anyone who had the courage to confront Anna about her drug abuse was pushed out of Anna's life. Period. Her Mother, Larry ...anyone...How nice for the enabler, Howard!

Talk about unetical...a friend? I highly doubt it in a healthy world. But we all know..we are as sick as our secrets and drug dependent people take hostages who become as sick, if not sicker than the addict...We'll never know the truth from the only survivor, Howard.

I do believe the bodyguard...In his interview, while choosing not to give details, he also didn't attempt to deny or cover-up the truth.

Sad, any way you look at it.

Wicked

#7 you are a paranoid nutjob...let me guess how you and your dysfunctional will destroy child's life...let me count the ways:

shall I go on.

I didn't think so, you pathetic azzwipe without a life or a brain.

CrazyMofos

well why is it when i said methadone use while pregnant was wrong..i have fuckin idiots on another post about this telling me i was wrong??? exactly why people shouldn't use drugs in the first place.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments