"Lost" Diary -- Stranger in a Strange Land

2/22/2007 3:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary. After last week's epic episode, I am psyched for this week. "Lost" is back (back, meaning good again) and I couldn't be happier.

There were some unbelievably great comments last week. Some notes on a few of them:

-- A ton of you said that you thought of me immediately when you heard about Charlie's impending death. OK, so not only do I obsess over the potential death of a fictional television character, but now even total strangers I have never met know it too.

-- Most of you agree Charlie should die, but it seems the second most disliked character is Kate. She has gotten pretty annoying and all she's good for is being held at gunpoint.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together -- kinda like Van Halen reuniting, only none of us play any instruments. Let's roll:

10:00
-- Kate wants Sawyer to turn the boat around to go back and rescue Jack (predictable) while Karl is babbling incoherently about God and Jacob. When was the last time Kate said something where she wasn't whining?

10:01 -- Jack thinks the Others plan on killing him now, and he's got every reason to think so. But Henry Gale did promise to send him "home," which I think we all know isn't happening. My prediction: the Others start to send him home, only Locke and Sayid and the rest of them "rescue" him and ruin it. Just a thought.

10:02 -- "Hey." -- Juliet. Things don't look so good for her.

10:06 -- And it's Jack flashback time. Prepare for either daddy issues or dumped by his wife issues.

10:07 -- Or hot Asian woman on the beach issues.

10:08 -- Jack's in Sawyer's cage and apparently the Others have a "sheriff."

10:10 -- Kate and Sawyer are having some post-coital problems, and Karl is kinda creeping me out. But he is full of info, so there's that.

10:12 -- Juliet is trying to get Jack to help Ben as a "personal favor" to her. Other than the fact she's hot, why would we do her a favor? Jack, remember, she's evil.

10:18 -- Oh look, Jack brought up his dad. Didn't see that coming.

10:19 -- "I have a gift." -- Achara. I'm sure that won't come up later.

10:20 -- Isabelle wants to ask Jack a few questions. First impression: she's kind of creepy, but only kind of.

10:21 -- Apparently, Isabelle is "investigating" whether or not Juliet tried to get Jack to kill Henry. I half expected to hear the "Law & Order" sound. What are the odds Jack lies to save Juliet? I am going 80/20 that he does.

10:22 -- What a sap.

10:23 -- Not sure what I think about this Isabelle. Feels like they are trying to force another creepy character on us. The rest of the room thinks she's a transvestite; a tad harsh, I think. What happened to Ms. Klugh?

10:26 -- Well at least Jack scored with Achara. There is a dirty joke here to be made about her "gift," but I'm gonna be the adult here and let it go.

10:28 -- Hey it's Cindy from the back of the plane and she's "there to watch." That doesn't sound good. Oh Cindy, Ana Lucia's dead and she was a bitch, too. Sorry to break it to you.

10:30 -- Karl ran away to hide in the woods and cry and has never heard of "The Brady Bunch." Except for the episode in Hawaii with Vincent Price and the tiki, I wish I had never heard of it either. Lauren wonders why they aren't questioning Karl more. Fair point.

10:32 -- Gotta admit, I am bored as hell. The room is restless and throwing out four-letter words.

10:33 -- Apparently, Alex has daddy issues too. She and Jack will have a lot to talk about.

10:34 -- And Jack wants out of his cage. Maybe now something will actually happen.

10:39 -- "The cavalry has arrived at last." -- Henry Gale. If this were a cheezy 90s sitcom, the studio audience would applaud Henry's first appearance -- it's long overdue.

10:40 -- So Ethan was a surgeon. He kinda looked more like he worked at UPS.

10:41 -- So Jack is going to save Ben to save Juliet. Can a man be (another word for a small cat)-whipped if they haven't even had sex? Grow a pair Jack!

10:42 -- By the way, part of me thinks Jack is lying about the infection just to save Juliet.. Only, again, I don't think he has the cajones.

10:43 -- "My work is not decoration, it is definition." -- Achara. Bit of a letdown on the whole "gift" thing. I wish it had been something dirty.

10:45
-- I think Jack just committed reverse tattoo rape. Never thought I'd coin that phrase.

10:46 -- "He has, however, ordered her to be marked." -- Isabelle. Like a tattoo? Like "The Scarlett Letter"? What kind of mark are we talking about here?

10:50
-- Three things about Jack's beating: 1) His tattoo wasn't complete. 2) Reverse tattoo rape has its consequences. 3) I really thought one of the guys was going to say, "Welcome to Thailand, bitch!" R.I.P. "The O.C."

10:51 -- I was kind of expecting Juliet's "mark" to be like Jack's tattoo, not a branding.

10:54 -- Juliet says they're leaving the island and taking Jack back to where they live. We saw their little village when the plane crashed, so "where they live" shouldn't be a huge surprise. But so many people have mentioned it during the episode, I kinda think it will be.

10:55 -- Sawyer thinks Kate threw him a "I thought you were going to die" lay, and she doesn't appear to be denying it. That's gotta hurt.

10:56 -- So Jack's tattoo says, "He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us." Jack says, "That's what they say, but that's not what they mean." Thanks, Yoda.

10:57 -- Nothing is really happening.

10:58 -- Still nothing.

10:59 -- Huh?

Normally I now do a "What did we learn this week?" But I am too angry for that. What the hell was that? On the heels of one of the best episodes ever, we get a complete and utter waste of an hour. Just a severe, other level disappointment.

According to the promos, we were supposed to get three mysteries solved, but I only counted two: what Jack's tattoo means (like anyone really cared about that!), and why no one watches "Lost" anymore. I can't defend this episode, so I am just going to stop writing about it. Tomorrow's "O.C." finale better be good, or else I will really lose it.

This is the spot where I usually throw out a question to try and spark comments, but it seems futile this week, since every comment will probably be about how much this episode sucked. But if you can come up with anything good that came out of this week, I'd LOVE to hear it. Seriously, anything at all.

(Deep breath ... Come on Daniel, it's just a television show.)

Sorry, normally I am not this negative. So let's try this again. Here is my question to you: If you could pick one word to describe your reaction to tonight's episode, what would it be?

See you next week.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Robin

Worse episode ever! I don't know if it could get worse but I know that if it doesn't get better I will turn off my TiVo and never watch it again. Pathetic! What were the writers/producers thinking??

Ian

Will someone please smack Lindelof and tell him that you can only be a pretentious mystery writing jackass for so long before people start ignoring you? Answer some damn questions already, you're pissing off your viewers.

theeg

the word "deflated" comes to mind. after last week's remarkable episode, i can't remember when i've been so pupmed to watch a lost episode cuz it felt like they were progressing and building great momentum. and since jack is one of my favorite characters, i thought his flashback would be rather enlightening...however, i could care less about his damn tatoo or that asian chick (she was fine tho). and as far as them answering 3 questions...r u kidding me?

Brice

IRRITATED!!!

SuzieQ

This episode SUCKED! They promised answers! They lied AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

lallee

Frustrated, to the point that I might stop watching the show. Who cares anymore? The whole scene with Cindy and the group of people standing aimlessly around Jacks's cage was pointless and ridiculous. The answers to three mysteries??? What was that all about? I didn't get any answers from the show. I'm seriously disappointed. The writers and produces need to get a grip, I think they are losing their (once) loyal audience, and quickly. What has the rest of the cast been doing all season? I guess just enjoying Hawaii. Well, they better enjoy it while they can, because I don't think the show will be on much longer. And I'm sorry to say, I won't miss it.

Yvette

Yeah, it was disappointing and didn't answer any questions for me, but hell, why not keep up with the torture and watch again next week? Fun fact: Isabel played Joan Crawford's teenage daughter in "Mommy Dearest."

just sayin is all

okay, easy there tiger... it wasn't totally awful. sawyer said some funny things as always. jack screamed a lot, but in a comforting, familiar kind of way. AND there was that horrifically cheesy music montage at the end. Surely, that was at least good for a laugh! (I know I definitely busted out laughing!)

However, one thing that definitely did seem to be cleared up is that Benry is apparently the big cheese. At least of the "jury" or whatever. Even scary trani-woman yeilded to half-dead Ben.
AND let's not be ungrateful for small favors such as Charlie and Claire not being in this episode!

On a seious note, what did yall think juliet's "mark" looked like? It reminded me of something we've seen before, I just can't think of what....

Bo

What a kick in the crotch. After the incredible episode last week I was hoping LOST would build off that momentum this week. To my surprise they threw out this filler episode. Big reveals my arse, Big letdown is more like it.

So the two children are still alive and hanging out with Cindy the Stewardess. Big freaking whoopy, why are they living with the Others? Are they prisoners too or have they been accepted into their society? Are they breaking rocks and picking them up like Kate and Sawyer?

Jack's tattoos, we know what they say but we still do not know what they mean. Seeing how this is some made up storyline anyways to explain Mathew Fox's real life tattoos, is it even a big deal? Why was Jack in Phuket anyways? Was it before he ratted out his Dad or after?

How much longer can I keep watching this show is the real question. I feel trapped by all the storylines that keep me coming back, but how many more crap episodes and loooonnnngggg breaks can I take before I say F-it.

MILF?

What was it Desmond said? "Please, let me go back! I'll change it THIS time?"

Dezzy's a time traveler? Thoughts?

Kia

One word: anti-climactic

All the advertising could talk about was "answering 3 questions," but I think we were all severely disappointed when that didn't happen. And what was with the slow-mo boat ride in the end?!?! That was the most maddening part of the whole thing.

But I, like many other masochistic Lost fans, will keep tuning in every week to see what those damned writers (who must be on crack) will come up with next.

snow

Well, I am a fan of the series and definitely not as critical as most. Anyway, last night was a bit of a let down after the ep last week but it wasn't as bad as everyone is saying. People are expecting way too much out of this show. They complained about all the repeats so ABC comes up with a solution and everybody is complaining about that. Now it's nothing is getting answered fast enough. It's like enough already - is anything going to be good enough for the "fans" of this show. Or do people who just like to complain watch this show? As far as the ep goes, I liked finding out where the tats came from but Bai Ling? Come on! I am sure the guys think she is hot but I couldn't understand half of what she was saying. At least her ta ta's and hoo hoo were covered up unlike when she goes out in public. I personally could have done with less flashback and more creepy other's action. Show the trial and the branding! Now that would have been cool.

psquirrel

If you could pick one word to describe your reaction to tonight's episode, what would it be?: frustrated

chris

So it wasn't the best episode ever, in fact in wasn't even that great and nothing really happened...again...which seems to be the theme of this show -- "you don't know what's going on and you really want to know, but we're not going to tell you and it will piss you off....maybe we're just making it up as it goes along, or maybe it will urn out to be the best show in the history of television."

Either way, everyone needs to calm down and stop complaining so much about "Lost." This episode may hve pissed you off but you'll still watch it next week. You can't stop.

Rachael

The Jack flashback was 1/2 hour of wasted time, but I actually liked the island part. Very interesting stuff...
Yep, Desmond's flashback ep. was AWESOME, so I think if the writers/producers can achieve that, then they need to stick to whatever formula they used last week. I want better tv NOW!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments