"Lost" Diary -- Stranger in a Strange Land

2/22/2007 3:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary. After last week's epic episode, I am psyched for this week. "Lost" is back (back, meaning good again) and I couldn't be happier.

There were some unbelievably great comments last week. Some notes on a few of them:

-- A ton of you said that you thought of me immediately when you heard about Charlie's impending death. OK, so not only do I obsess over the potential death of a fictional television character, but now even total strangers I have never met know it too.

-- Most of you agree Charlie should die, but it seems the second most disliked character is Kate. She has gotten pretty annoying and all she's good for is being held at gunpoint.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together -- kinda like Van Halen reuniting, only none of us play any instruments. Let's roll:

10:00
-- Kate wants Sawyer to turn the boat around to go back and rescue Jack (predictable) while Karl is babbling incoherently about God and Jacob. When was the last time Kate said something where she wasn't whining?

10:01 -- Jack thinks the Others plan on killing him now, and he's got every reason to think so. But Henry Gale did promise to send him "home," which I think we all know isn't happening. My prediction: the Others start to send him home, only Locke and Sayid and the rest of them "rescue" him and ruin it. Just a thought.

10:02 -- "Hey." -- Juliet. Things don't look so good for her.

10:06 -- And it's Jack flashback time. Prepare for either daddy issues or dumped by his wife issues.

10:07 -- Or hot Asian woman on the beach issues.

10:08 -- Jack's in Sawyer's cage and apparently the Others have a "sheriff."

10:10 -- Kate and Sawyer are having some post-coital problems, and Karl is kinda creeping me out. But he is full of info, so there's that.

10:12 -- Juliet is trying to get Jack to help Ben as a "personal favor" to her. Other than the fact she's hot, why would we do her a favor? Jack, remember, she's evil.

10:18 -- Oh look, Jack brought up his dad. Didn't see that coming.

10:19 -- "I have a gift." -- Achara. I'm sure that won't come up later.

10:20 -- Isabelle wants to ask Jack a few questions. First impression: she's kind of creepy, but only kind of.

10:21 -- Apparently, Isabelle is "investigating" whether or not Juliet tried to get Jack to kill Henry. I half expected to hear the "Law & Order" sound. What are the odds Jack lies to save Juliet? I am going 80/20 that he does.

10:22 -- What a sap.

10:23 -- Not sure what I think about this Isabelle. Feels like they are trying to force another creepy character on us. The rest of the room thinks she's a transvestite; a tad harsh, I think. What happened to Ms. Klugh?

10:26 -- Well at least Jack scored with Achara. There is a dirty joke here to be made about her "gift," but I'm gonna be the adult here and let it go.

10:28 -- Hey it's Cindy from the back of the plane and she's "there to watch." That doesn't sound good. Oh Cindy, Ana Lucia's dead and she was a bitch, too. Sorry to break it to you.

10:30 -- Karl ran away to hide in the woods and cry and has never heard of "The Brady Bunch." Except for the episode in Hawaii with Vincent Price and the tiki, I wish I had never heard of it either. Lauren wonders why they aren't questioning Karl more. Fair point.

10:32 -- Gotta admit, I am bored as hell. The room is restless and throwing out four-letter words.

10:33 -- Apparently, Alex has daddy issues too. She and Jack will have a lot to talk about.

10:34 -- And Jack wants out of his cage. Maybe now something will actually happen.

10:39 -- "The cavalry has arrived at last." -- Henry Gale. If this were a cheezy 90s sitcom, the studio audience would applaud Henry's first appearance -- it's long overdue.

10:40 -- So Ethan was a surgeon. He kinda looked more like he worked at UPS.

10:41 -- So Jack is going to save Ben to save Juliet. Can a man be (another word for a small cat)-whipped if they haven't even had sex? Grow a pair Jack!

10:42 -- By the way, part of me thinks Jack is lying about the infection just to save Juliet.. Only, again, I don't think he has the cajones.

10:43 -- "My work is not decoration, it is definition." -- Achara. Bit of a letdown on the whole "gift" thing. I wish it had been something dirty.

10:45
-- I think Jack just committed reverse tattoo rape. Never thought I'd coin that phrase.

10:46 -- "He has, however, ordered her to be marked." -- Isabelle. Like a tattoo? Like "The Scarlett Letter"? What kind of mark are we talking about here?

10:50
-- Three things about Jack's beating: 1) His tattoo wasn't complete. 2) Reverse tattoo rape has its consequences. 3) I really thought one of the guys was going to say, "Welcome to Thailand, bitch!" R.I.P. "The O.C."

10:51 -- I was kind of expecting Juliet's "mark" to be like Jack's tattoo, not a branding.

10:54 -- Juliet says they're leaving the island and taking Jack back to where they live. We saw their little village when the plane crashed, so "where they live" shouldn't be a huge surprise. But so many people have mentioned it during the episode, I kinda think it will be.

10:55 -- Sawyer thinks Kate threw him a "I thought you were going to die" lay, and she doesn't appear to be denying it. That's gotta hurt.

10:56 -- So Jack's tattoo says, "He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us." Jack says, "That's what they say, but that's not what they mean." Thanks, Yoda.

10:57 -- Nothing is really happening.

10:58 -- Still nothing.

10:59 -- Huh?

Normally I now do a "What did we learn this week?" But I am too angry for that. What the hell was that? On the heels of one of the best episodes ever, we get a complete and utter waste of an hour. Just a severe, other level disappointment.

According to the promos, we were supposed to get three mysteries solved, but I only counted two: what Jack's tattoo means (like anyone really cared about that!), and why no one watches "Lost" anymore. I can't defend this episode, so I am just going to stop writing about it. Tomorrow's "O.C." finale better be good, or else I will really lose it.

This is the spot where I usually throw out a question to try and spark comments, but it seems futile this week, since every comment will probably be about how much this episode sucked. But if you can come up with anything good that came out of this week, I'd LOVE to hear it. Seriously, anything at all.

(Deep breath ... Come on Daniel, it's just a television show.)

Sorry, normally I am not this negative. So let's try this again. Here is my question to you: If you could pick one word to describe your reaction to tonight's episode, what would it be?

See you next week.

aselb

Why doesn't anyone on this show ask the OBVIOUS questions? What "projects" Karl? What are you here to watch, Cindy? Why are you keeping us, THEM? This show will probably be cancelled before we get any answers!

Cheryl

I was so dissapointed with this episode. I feel like I missed something and it's really bothering me. I will be back next week - hopefully they are setting it up for something REALLY interesting.

Sawyer was an idiot to let Karl go. They could have learned a lot from him. Whatever.

me

I did not care for the whole Asian woman flash back. That was pointless. It really is getting kinda boring. I actually fell asleep the last 20 minutes or so. Although I did watch that part online this am to find out what happened. Anywho- Hope is gets better next week.

Butterflydeli

I totally hated this episode. I agree with all of the above comments. Just when are we going to start getting some answers instead of additional questions. This really sucks!

Sandra D

While I do agree the episode did suck.

I have some thoughts :

We actually learned a good bit of subtle character development last night. We see Jack start to assert himself as a leader (heck he was practically leading the others by the end of the episode) He has a "moral" authority that Ben lacks. You saw how all the others cater to Jack, Tom, the Sheriff etc... You also saw Sawyer assert some leadership as well in how he dealt w/ boyfriend and Kate. So they were trying to parallel Jack and Sawyer a bit, which they said they'd do, making Jack a little more Sawyer like and visa versa.

There was also a nice parallelling in the episode of Jack's tattoos and Juliet's marking. They're both "marked" now. And Juliet's mark means the same as Jack's, she walks among us but she isn't one of us. The epi was much more about identity than mystery.

I'd love to learn more about Jack's statement, "that's what it says, that's not what it means" He won't let the others or anyone define him, which is another mark of a leader. At any rate I thought I'd throw this out there b/c there is a general attitude of trashing the episode, and I really enjoyed it for the above reasons.

Also:

could Jack be an other:

when ben was caught and being held in the hatch, he was asked if he was the the leader. ben replied no, he was not the leader, but the leader was a great man. now when jack asked sexy woman what she sees with him, she tells him that he is a great man, a leader. would this imply that jack is the leader of the others? (just stretching here) or was their leader at one point?

Chris

I voted for worst episode of lost ever. You have to take things like this in context. Last week's episode was my personal favorite. The show is boasting "back to back episodes", "mysteries solved", etc and then they throw this steaming pile of donkey poo up on the screen.

Remember all of those characters that we fell in love with season one and two (even fell in love with hating Charlie Dan)? Yeah, me either.

If Locke isn't in the next episode someone will die by my hand.

I've said that three weeks in a row.

Misty

I actually really liked it - I loved Isabel, I loved the interaction with Jack and Juliet - a payoff from what happened in the mini-season for certain.

And a Dharma-brand podium? I want me one of those!

No Longer A Lost Fan

Well, that does it. I'm done watching this stupid show -- will come back to read these diaries to get any information I might actually care to have. On a scale of 1 to 10 this episode rates somewhere on the Kelvin scale. The absolute only thing about the entire hour that was interesting at all was that finally somebody didn't recognize one of Sawyer's snarky little nicknames for him.

Just for the record, I'm really, really fed up with the need the pair of college sophomore writers have to show somebody having sex whenever they can cram it into the show. Yes, I know that besides pop-culture references, whatever you had time to remember from your first two years in the Core Curriculum, and reading blgs, sex is all you think about. That is typical for children your age. But please remember that your audience isn't limited to boys between 15 and 24. Life really is more than what you get from your college campus buds!

Cristine

See I'm a Jack/Juliet fan so for me it was a great episode. We had a lot of "moments" between them which was why I was really looking forward to this episode. Yes, we didn't find out much about the island but we know that the Others' society is very "biblical" - an eye for an eye and Jacob and God.

One thing I wondered about though, everyone kept saying that they only work on the island they were on. What does that mean? What work did they do? They made Sawyer and Kate dig holes but what the hell does that mean?

Anyways, the one thing I didn't like about the episode was Bai Ling's acting. She totally sucked! Ooh, there will be consequences. Sure, like your friends kicking the crap out of Jack. Blech!

Anyways, as for Juliet's mark. It kind of reminded me of one of the symbols they used for the Dharma Initiative or maybe something from the Hanso Foundation.

Belle

One word: FAILED!

I can't believe the great epi last week was followed up by this crap.

LOST Producers: Please watch Rome, The Sopranos and Heroes... get a clue! ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!!! (We already know you watch Deadwood, and that didn't last, did it?!)

Beth

This is my favorite show Ever and it is going down the same road as Roswell which was another fave of mine!

I don’t know what everyone’s talkin about, last week’s episode sucked and confused me.

This weeks was more interesting, but “Hot Asian Chick?” I wouldn’t go that far....that was a strange addition to Jack’s retarded memories.

Also what was with the people looking at Jack in the cage?? I can’t even believe they just let that one go and didn’t explain what the heck that was about....but that is Jack’s fault for screaming at them to go away b/f we found out why they were there!!!!!!

I still like the show and think they can bring it back. And I agree Kate is on my list of get rid of her characters, liked her in the beginning but not so much now....

I liked the whole “mommy dearest” daughter addition (don’t know her name), they have some good characters for the “others” it almost makes the original cast kind of boring now...I miss Locke and Hurley and the Hatch discoveries!

Michelle

Didn't Krazy Karl say that the Others live on the same island where the survivors live? How big is that f'ing island? I think Alex is the French lady's daughter because she's just too weird and spastic. The sheriff had a weird hair cut that bordered on a man bob. I wish that Kate had fallen out of the boat and drowned. What did Cindy come to watch? Who cares that Juliet was branded? Why do I like Tom? What happened to Karl?

You're right- it was a horrid episode, but I can't wait for next week!

B

Worst episode ever on the heels of an amazing episode last week. Nothing of interest happened, and Jack is really annoying. So is Juliett. A high point of frustration: When Juliet told Jack that the Others were taking him back to where they live. Jack asked, "Where's that?" and Juliet gives the dumbest, most unhelpful answer the writers could have possibly thought of, "Ben calls it home." Great, I think Jack was kinda asking more about the geographical location of "home", but whatever. We can't count on Jack to probe further because he's just a big p**sy. This episode was total crap, but I'll give the writers another chance to win me back. Next week better be good is all I can say!

Simone

One word. Hmmm. Boo comes to mind. I was waiting for 3 questions to be answered and I could care less about Jack's tattoo. He's slowly climbing up my should be killed off in a bloody manner list.

Vader

O.K. I have a solution for the people who say that they want answers. Have next week's episode answer everything! Then Lost will be over! Will that satisfy all of you morons? Last night's episode wasn't the greatest, but a lot happended! # 1 we know what happened to the stewardess and the kids. # 2 Jack's flashback paralleled Juliet's branding and the meaning of his tatoo's basically explains Jack's central motives as a character. He's an outsider, but a strong leader. # 3 Jack manipulated his way out of captivity you IDIOTS! He's back on the ISLAND with the rest of the Survivors! And the dynamic being built up between him and Juliet is captivating!