"Lost" Diary -- Stranger in a Strange Land

2/22/2007 3:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary. After last week's epic episode, I am psyched for this week. "Lost" is back (back, meaning good again) and I couldn't be happier.

There were some unbelievably great comments last week. Some notes on a few of them:

-- A ton of you said that you thought of me immediately when you heard about Charlie's impending death. OK, so not only do I obsess over the potential death of a fictional television character, but now even total strangers I have never met know it too.

-- Most of you agree Charlie should die, but it seems the second most disliked character is Kate. She has gotten pretty annoying and all she's good for is being held at gunpoint.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together -- kinda like Van Halen reuniting, only none of us play any instruments. Let's roll:

10:00
-- Kate wants Sawyer to turn the boat around to go back and rescue Jack (predictable) while Karl is babbling incoherently about God and Jacob. When was the last time Kate said something where she wasn't whining?

10:01 -- Jack thinks the Others plan on killing him now, and he's got every reason to think so. But Henry Gale did promise to send him "home," which I think we all know isn't happening. My prediction: the Others start to send him home, only Locke and Sayid and the rest of them "rescue" him and ruin it. Just a thought.

10:02 -- "Hey." -- Juliet. Things don't look so good for her.

10:06 -- And it's Jack flashback time. Prepare for either daddy issues or dumped by his wife issues.

10:07 -- Or hot Asian woman on the beach issues.

10:08 -- Jack's in Sawyer's cage and apparently the Others have a "sheriff."

10:10 -- Kate and Sawyer are having some post-coital problems, and Karl is kinda creeping me out. But he is full of info, so there's that.

10:12 -- Juliet is trying to get Jack to help Ben as a "personal favor" to her. Other than the fact she's hot, why would we do her a favor? Jack, remember, she's evil.

10:18 -- Oh look, Jack brought up his dad. Didn't see that coming.

10:19 -- "I have a gift." -- Achara. I'm sure that won't come up later.

10:20 -- Isabelle wants to ask Jack a few questions. First impression: she's kind of creepy, but only kind of.

10:21 -- Apparently, Isabelle is "investigating" whether or not Juliet tried to get Jack to kill Henry. I half expected to hear the "Law & Order" sound. What are the odds Jack lies to save Juliet? I am going 80/20 that he does.

10:22 -- What a sap.

10:23 -- Not sure what I think about this Isabelle. Feels like they are trying to force another creepy character on us. The rest of the room thinks she's a transvestite; a tad harsh, I think. What happened to Ms. Klugh?

10:26 -- Well at least Jack scored with Achara. There is a dirty joke here to be made about her "gift," but I'm gonna be the adult here and let it go.

10:28 -- Hey it's Cindy from the back of the plane and she's "there to watch." That doesn't sound good. Oh Cindy, Ana Lucia's dead and she was a bitch, too. Sorry to break it to you.

10:30 -- Karl ran away to hide in the woods and cry and has never heard of "The Brady Bunch." Except for the episode in Hawaii with Vincent Price and the tiki, I wish I had never heard of it either. Lauren wonders why they aren't questioning Karl more. Fair point.

10:32 -- Gotta admit, I am bored as hell. The room is restless and throwing out four-letter words.

10:33 -- Apparently, Alex has daddy issues too. She and Jack will have a lot to talk about.

10:34 -- And Jack wants out of his cage. Maybe now something will actually happen.

10:39 -- "The cavalry has arrived at last." -- Henry Gale. If this were a cheezy 90s sitcom, the studio audience would applaud Henry's first appearance -- it's long overdue.

10:40 -- So Ethan was a surgeon. He kinda looked more like he worked at UPS.

10:41 -- So Jack is going to save Ben to save Juliet. Can a man be (another word for a small cat)-whipped if they haven't even had sex? Grow a pair Jack!

10:42 -- By the way, part of me thinks Jack is lying about the infection just to save Juliet.. Only, again, I don't think he has the cajones.

10:43 -- "My work is not decoration, it is definition." -- Achara. Bit of a letdown on the whole "gift" thing. I wish it had been something dirty.

10:45
-- I think Jack just committed reverse tattoo rape. Never thought I'd coin that phrase.

10:46 -- "He has, however, ordered her to be marked." -- Isabelle. Like a tattoo? Like "The Scarlett Letter"? What kind of mark are we talking about here?

10:50
-- Three things about Jack's beating: 1) His tattoo wasn't complete. 2) Reverse tattoo rape has its consequences. 3) I really thought one of the guys was going to say, "Welcome to Thailand, bitch!" R.I.P. "The O.C."

10:51 -- I was kind of expecting Juliet's "mark" to be like Jack's tattoo, not a branding.

10:54 -- Juliet says they're leaving the island and taking Jack back to where they live. We saw their little village when the plane crashed, so "where they live" shouldn't be a huge surprise. But so many people have mentioned it during the episode, I kinda think it will be.

10:55 -- Sawyer thinks Kate threw him a "I thought you were going to die" lay, and she doesn't appear to be denying it. That's gotta hurt.

10:56 -- So Jack's tattoo says, "He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us." Jack says, "That's what they say, but that's not what they mean." Thanks, Yoda.

10:57 -- Nothing is really happening.

10:58 -- Still nothing.

10:59 -- Huh?

Normally I now do a "What did we learn this week?" But I am too angry for that. What the hell was that? On the heels of one of the best episodes ever, we get a complete and utter waste of an hour. Just a severe, other level disappointment.

According to the promos, we were supposed to get three mysteries solved, but I only counted two: what Jack's tattoo means (like anyone really cared about that!), and why no one watches "Lost" anymore. I can't defend this episode, so I am just going to stop writing about it. Tomorrow's "O.C." finale better be good, or else I will really lose it.

This is the spot where I usually throw out a question to try and spark comments, but it seems futile this week, since every comment will probably be about how much this episode sucked. But if you can come up with anything good that came out of this week, I'd LOVE to hear it. Seriously, anything at all.

(Deep breath ... Come on Daniel, it's just a television show.)

Sorry, normally I am not this negative. So let's try this again. Here is my question to you: If you could pick one word to describe your reaction to tonight's episode, what would it be?

See you next week.

Gerald

HORRIBLE!!!! The worst episode in the history of Lost!!!!!
Another installment of the Jack/Kate/Sawyer show. I am so sick of those three I wish they would disappear for the rest of the season!!! Sawyer has evolved from a really cool character into a sap! I'm sick The Others also. The last scene with Alex and Karl staring at the stars was just too sappy and I felt like I was watching a daytime soap.

To TPTB at Lost, PLEASE bring back Locke, Sayid, Hurley, Sun, Jin, Charlie, Claire, and Vincent!!!!!!

I rate this episode a F-.

KC

Juliet's nose bothers me... bad nose job perhaps? Maybe it's just me.

Abby

I'm thinking you should maybe give up on Lost all together and switch over to Heros! Now that is by far the BEST show on television and a million times better than Lost ever was!!!!

KC

I didn't get into Lost until the second season, so before that came out, I rented the whole first season on DVD and watched it straight through when I was home with the flu. I'm sure there are reasons for episodes like this, no matter how boring, and if you watch this season straight through, we may see something there.

That's my wish, otherwise there is no hope and I just wasted an hour of my life!!

A

THANK YOU THANK YOU to the person who identified the Sheriff as that ho from Prison Break who was all over my man Tea Bag. It was DRIVING ME crazy! I was sure I recognized her from a Lost flashback

Will

Did anyone catch the clue about how no one wants to talk about time? And why the hell is the lead character an angry wife beater? And what the hell was the whole "suave doctor jack living on a beach in a tiki house?" Do spinal surgeons get three months paid vacation? the dumbest quote of the episode was the hot asian chick walking up to a scruffy white guy in the middle of thailand and asserting her "gift" by stating, "You're not from around here." Damn... she really must be psychic.

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

I just looked again and it looks almost EXACTLY like a fleur-de-lis. the only difference is that the side upper and lower 'lines' in a fleur-de-lis are more curved.

I'm convinced the mark is meant to be like one, if not one.

yabadabadooo

Here goes nothing:

I take the saying of Jack's tattoo, that he is now 'amongst them but not one of them' - corrolation to his past?????? I am grasping at straws! And I didn't think her 'gift' made any freaking sense at all? Does this show ever!!!! That's my 2 cents worth-----it sucked!

PS: Jack has a chance of pushing Ben overboard he can't swim and take over the boat while the OTHERS try and save him!!!! Just a thought! lmfaoooo.

yabadabadooo

OH YA BEST COMMENT:

Sawyer referring to Karl's love of his life as SALLY SLINGSHOT! hahahahaha I love the nicknames he comes up with.

DaddysGirl

BORING! I hate to say it was so boring that I feel asleep!
Who in the world thought to bring in Bai Ling? Good God, anyone but her, but I have to admit she was dressed finally...and she actually wore a dress WOW!

But I feel asleep only thing I remember is Jack lying about Juliet, nothing afterwards.

Even though this one sucked big time, I sure am not going to stop watching it!

But one thing... WE NEED SOME MORE ANSWERS!!!!!!! PLEASE!

Michelle

Thank you #101!!!!

I was wondering why the hell he forced her to tattoo him! That's ridiculous.

snow

I think Cindy and the others were there to watch Juliet's "trial and execution" personally. Didn't anybody else notice that she was basically up on a witness stand and there was a whole mess of people sitting in the crowd watching her?

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

On another note Achura also had a special 'gift' - not the package - but being able to see who people really are. Again, this show seems to be full of people with special powers. I think once she marked him, everyone could see it then. Fear, and being a Great Man seems to be a theme of Jack's. More quotes:

'The bravest sight in the world is to see a great man struggling against adversity.'
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

‘There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming.’
Søren Kierkegaard

‘Fear is an instructor of great sagacity, and the herald of all revolutions.’
Ralph Waldo Emerson

ok back to work

jake

everyone needs to relax. its basically a dramatic/mystery SERIES. not every episode can be action packed. take it for what it was. a lilttle more insight in to the storylines, another piece to the puzzle. was it the "best" episode, no. Was it the "worst", no. It was lilke a dozen other episodes that is there to help BUILD storylines not END them. Not every one can be the best. Im sure the place they are going will lead to some interesting developments, the tailies and kids is a new twist, and we still havent seen the majority of the main cast. I didnt think it was that bad and like EVERY episode it asked more questions than were answered, SHOCKER. Thats what makes this show unique, there are interesting and new twists(and easter eggs) around every corner. The leaving on a boat at the end was one of the more intriguing endings i can remember. they are in a boat ging somewhere?????? im hooked.

Maryr22002

*sigh* I'm still lost. It sure didn't answer any of MY questions. This is probably the only episode I have ever been truely disappointed in. The only thing that seemed like a bright spot to me...seeing the people and the children that had been stolen from the tailenders....now why is one of those questions that didn't get answered.