"Lost" Diary -- Stranger in a Strange Land

2/22/2007 3:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary. After last week's epic episode, I am psyched for this week. "Lost" is back (back, meaning good again) and I couldn't be happier.

There were some unbelievably great comments last week. Some notes on a few of them:

-- A ton of you said that you thought of me immediately when you heard about Charlie's impending death. OK, so not only do I obsess over the potential death of a fictional television character, but now even total strangers I have never met know it too.

-- Most of you agree Charlie should die, but it seems the second most disliked character is Kate. She has gotten pretty annoying and all she's good for is being held at gunpoint.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together -- kinda like Van Halen reuniting, only none of us play any instruments. Let's roll:

10:00
-- Kate wants Sawyer to turn the boat around to go back and rescue Jack (predictable) while Karl is babbling incoherently about God and Jacob. When was the last time Kate said something where she wasn't whining?

10:01 -- Jack thinks the Others plan on killing him now, and he's got every reason to think so. But Henry Gale did promise to send him "home," which I think we all know isn't happening. My prediction: the Others start to send him home, only Locke and Sayid and the rest of them "rescue" him and ruin it. Just a thought.

10:02 -- "Hey." -- Juliet. Things don't look so good for her.

10:06 -- And it's Jack flashback time. Prepare for either daddy issues or dumped by his wife issues.

10:07 -- Or hot Asian woman on the beach issues.

10:08 -- Jack's in Sawyer's cage and apparently the Others have a "sheriff."

10:10 -- Kate and Sawyer are having some post-coital problems, and Karl is kinda creeping me out. But he is full of info, so there's that.

10:12 -- Juliet is trying to get Jack to help Ben as a "personal favor" to her. Other than the fact she's hot, why would we do her a favor? Jack, remember, she's evil.

10:18 -- Oh look, Jack brought up his dad. Didn't see that coming.

10:19 -- "I have a gift." -- Achara. I'm sure that won't come up later.

10:20 -- Isabelle wants to ask Jack a few questions. First impression: she's kind of creepy, but only kind of.

10:21 -- Apparently, Isabelle is "investigating" whether or not Juliet tried to get Jack to kill Henry. I half expected to hear the "Law & Order" sound. What are the odds Jack lies to save Juliet? I am going 80/20 that he does.

10:22 -- What a sap.

10:23 -- Not sure what I think about this Isabelle. Feels like they are trying to force another creepy character on us. The rest of the room thinks she's a transvestite; a tad harsh, I think. What happened to Ms. Klugh?

10:26 -- Well at least Jack scored with Achara. There is a dirty joke here to be made about her "gift," but I'm gonna be the adult here and let it go.

10:28 -- Hey it's Cindy from the back of the plane and she's "there to watch." That doesn't sound good. Oh Cindy, Ana Lucia's dead and she was a bitch, too. Sorry to break it to you.

10:30 -- Karl ran away to hide in the woods and cry and has never heard of "The Brady Bunch." Except for the episode in Hawaii with Vincent Price and the tiki, I wish I had never heard of it either. Lauren wonders why they aren't questioning Karl more. Fair point.

10:32 -- Gotta admit, I am bored as hell. The room is restless and throwing out four-letter words.

10:33 -- Apparently, Alex has daddy issues too. She and Jack will have a lot to talk about.

10:34 -- And Jack wants out of his cage. Maybe now something will actually happen.

10:39 -- "The cavalry has arrived at last." -- Henry Gale. If this were a cheezy 90s sitcom, the studio audience would applaud Henry's first appearance -- it's long overdue.

10:40 -- So Ethan was a surgeon. He kinda looked more like he worked at UPS.

10:41 -- So Jack is going to save Ben to save Juliet. Can a man be (another word for a small cat)-whipped if they haven't even had sex? Grow a pair Jack!

10:42 -- By the way, part of me thinks Jack is lying about the infection just to save Juliet.. Only, again, I don't think he has the cajones.

10:43 -- "My work is not decoration, it is definition." -- Achara. Bit of a letdown on the whole "gift" thing. I wish it had been something dirty.

10:45
-- I think Jack just committed reverse tattoo rape. Never thought I'd coin that phrase.

10:46 -- "He has, however, ordered her to be marked." -- Isabelle. Like a tattoo? Like "The Scarlett Letter"? What kind of mark are we talking about here?

10:50
-- Three things about Jack's beating: 1) His tattoo wasn't complete. 2) Reverse tattoo rape has its consequences. 3) I really thought one of the guys was going to say, "Welcome to Thailand, bitch!" R.I.P. "The O.C."

10:51 -- I was kind of expecting Juliet's "mark" to be like Jack's tattoo, not a branding.

10:54 -- Juliet says they're leaving the island and taking Jack back to where they live. We saw their little village when the plane crashed, so "where they live" shouldn't be a huge surprise. But so many people have mentioned it during the episode, I kinda think it will be.

10:55 -- Sawyer thinks Kate threw him a "I thought you were going to die" lay, and she doesn't appear to be denying it. That's gotta hurt.

10:56 -- So Jack's tattoo says, "He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us." Jack says, "That's what they say, but that's not what they mean." Thanks, Yoda.

10:57 -- Nothing is really happening.

10:58 -- Still nothing.

10:59 -- Huh?

Normally I now do a "What did we learn this week?" But I am too angry for that. What the hell was that? On the heels of one of the best episodes ever, we get a complete and utter waste of an hour. Just a severe, other level disappointment.

According to the promos, we were supposed to get three mysteries solved, but I only counted two: what Jack's tattoo means (like anyone really cared about that!), and why no one watches "Lost" anymore. I can't defend this episode, so I am just going to stop writing about it. Tomorrow's "O.C." finale better be good, or else I will really lose it.

This is the spot where I usually throw out a question to try and spark comments, but it seems futile this week, since every comment will probably be about how much this episode sucked. But if you can come up with anything good that came out of this week, I'd LOVE to hear it. Seriously, anything at all.

(Deep breath ... Come on Daniel, it's just a television show.)

Sorry, normally I am not this negative. So let's try this again. Here is my question to you: If you could pick one word to describe your reaction to tonight's episode, what would it be?

See you next week.

No Longer A Lost Fan

Yeah, it's an ENTERTAINMENT. So when it's not ENTERTAINING, what on earth is the point? Do I have an extra hour every week just to sit and think about how much better I could made this show if only someone had given me the script and a red pen?

Ring Shop Lady was just another version of the guy who sells wands in Diagon Alley. That -- or she's one of those creatures that comes to a person when he's having a psychotic episode. I had an employee once who was paranoid schizophrenic and when she went off her medication she behaved just like Desmond (and saw Ring Ladies giving her sage advice when other people saw clerks checking their watches to see if it was time to go home yet.)

As for last night, this is the kind of stuff you turn in when you've forgotten you have a paper due tomorrow, you've had a month to write it, and you just don't have time to think of anything on point. So you write a lot of gibberish and throw in everything you can think of that might be even close to what the teacher assigned, and when she reads it she knows right away that you were still half drunk when you wrote it last night and she gives you a "D" and you're relieved she didn't make you rewrite it completely. (I would have). And then you go back to your dorm room vowing that the next assignment you'll do right away, only you don't -- because your roommate wants to go out to the strip club and ogle the girls and 'get wasted' ...

I keep having the feeling that we're headed for a St. Elsewhere Ending when these two drunken frat boys suddenly wake up on the sawdust floor of a Brazilian bar and stagger off to their hotel room saying, "Dude, you won't believe what I just f***ing dreamed, man...."

Roy

This whole show seems to be based on the unaired pilot from the original Star Trek. "The Cage" featured the captain of the ship drawn to a planet by an 18 year running distress signal....Sound familiar? While on the planet the captain is held captive in a "Zoo" not unlike the detention area where Jack was being held. The aliens running the zoo conduct experiments such as having the captain encounter various animals, interact with females and other odd situations. The aliens have an incredible power to create illusions which are true to life for the participants..Alens=Hanso experiments.......The producers are big Star Trek fans.........Mystery solved..stop watching.....

Mike

I agree that this episode really sucked a big one, but also kept in mind that this episode was like a stepping stone for the next one. It's kind of setting up for the next one, and let's hope that the next one is far better. If not, then you can say I was wrong.

blog master

I actually think Sandra D may be on to something.....I hate to give up on the show yet -but I am gettting close...writers: help the poor "lost" souls out - throw us a little more PLEASE

Rina

"LOST" is the one word to describe this episode and this show. They have lost their marbles and innovatie ideas.

Lauren, the LOST Nazi

Dude. WORST EPISODE EVER. EVERRR!!!!. No joke. Worse than the filler ones from Season 2. Worse than any Charlie flashback episode. And worse than any episode sans Sawyer’s chest. They really blew it this time:

Exhibit A – Bai Ling on LOST. Am I the only one asking wtf?
Exhibit B – most pointless flashback in history. Even Rose, Bernard, and Claire’s flashbacks have meant more to the show! This was a complete waste of time and no one cares what the hell Jack’s tattoo means.
Exhibit C – the sappy ending. I am the most mushy, gushy cheeseball on the planet, and even I had to control my gag reflexes last night.
Exhibit D – for the love of god, question the others!! Why in the HELL did Sawyer and Kate not question Karl more?! Instead of having love spats, they should have gotten as MUCH info about the Others as possible. Totally absurd.
Exhibit E – too many love stories. We have enough. Don’t need to tack on Jack and Juliet (kill her off for the love of god!) or Alex and Karl. They’re kids, who cares. More sex scenes of the original cast please.
Exhibit F – Kate and Sawyer didn’t do it. WTF!! They’ve already done it once, what are they waiting for?! They had tons of time, and the mood was set. Karl even left them alone. The recipe for hot jungle lovin’ was spoon fed to them! Give the people what they want to see! (see also Exhibit E).
Exhibit G – NO MORE NEW CHARACTERS!! How many times do I have to reiterate this!! I thought we were on a roll with Danny’s murder, but no. now they have to bring on Tranny Isabelle. We have enough people! New character time cuts down shirtless Sawyer time! And that simply will not do. Get it together!

I now know why Isabelle freaked me out so much. As some brilliant commenter before me has mentioned, she is Christina from Mommy Dearest!! That’s why I shuddered! Iron hangers cause the same reaction. Regardless, grown up Christina is terrifying. And so is her hair.

Some new information I found interesting was that Ethan was a surgeon. Hmmmm. What surgeons do you know that are that creepy and terrorizing? I dunno, maybe it’s just me. He didn’t seem so much surgeon-y as he did kidnap-y and murder-y.

This episode of LOST was a let down no matter how you slice it. Whether or not it came on the heels of the most awesome Desi Time Traveling episode. It sucked a big one.

If I were smart, I’d give up LOST for Lent.

I miss Libby.

Meh

I think the third question was what happened to the people who were taken, Cindy & the kids.. But all we know is that they are still alive and apparently living it up on "modern" portion of the island.. I am a Jack fan and sort of defended his character to my friends and on message boards, but this really was one of the worst episodes thus far.. All the momentum built up by the last two episodes are gone for me.. I am by no means saying I am going to stop watching, but you gotta give us something consistant here.. *sigh* Until next next week..

squigy

am i the only one who believes that Alex is not Bens daughter? i believe she is the crazy french ladies (Rouseau) baby that was stolen from her by the others 16 years ago? besieds she looks nothing like Ben and a hell of a lot like a frenchie! doesnt anyone remember this, i feel so alone...

Cableguy

The episode was far from actionpacked but i will definitely continue to watch until the bitter end because.....

Me thinks Jack was an other from before, that somehow left the island but was brought back with the plane crash. I think he will eventually have a flashback and remember being on the island before and realize he is their leader..............????

Christina

This episode was SUCKY. That is my one word. I usually find Jack episodes to be boring, but this was by far the most useless. I'm growing impatient with this show, and it's a shame because I really did absolutely obsessively love this show when it started, but now I'm glad for Heroes.

buddha00man

lost..why hasnt anyone asked why these others are doing this to a plane full of people that crashed on an island...maybe someone has & i missed it but for crying out loud i thought for sure that was one of the answers we were going to get last nite, it was close when they were moving jack but then something about stones & glass houses...blah blah

Dee

This diary was way more entertaining than the show itself. Maybe I'll stop watching and just read this for kicks...if anyone of you are still watching it, that is.

Apple

Well first thing on my mind was WHY are they doing ANOTHER FLASH BACK of Jack? And with that nutso Bai Ling? Who cares about her!! We waited so long for this dang show to start up again and they're still stuck on the same three characters that they been on all this season!! Okay we had a little bit 'o Desmond last week, which was refreshing. But I would like to see the rest of the cast have their own episodes once in a while too. That's all. I wanna know how Sun is doing with the bun in the oven, etc.

Robby Love

I remember when there was a great show on ABC named "LOST". It had mystery, intrigue, suspense, a bit of horror....

Now it has become a drudgery of soap opera themes and pointless filler dialogue. Last night's episode (Stranger in a Strange Land - 2/21/07) showed in remarkable detail how incredibly derailed LOST has become from the aspects of the show that made it such a phenomenon in its first season.

Instead of being afraid of an unknown force lurking in the dark, we are now supposed to fear a ferret-faced weenie with a spinal tumor and a middle-aged white lady who can read Chinese.

Instead of conversations that at least build toward solving the island's mysteries, we get conversations about kids renaming constellations. ("You have a back yard?" Ugh.)

We have a love-quadrilateral now between Sawyer-Kate-Jack-Juliet. As if the "tension" amongst the first three hasn't been dragged out long enough. Is this LOST or Fantasy Island? I know the "Skater" and "Jacket" fans eat this drek up but the rest of us have to stifle the rise of bile.

I could go on, but why bother?

The producers are rapidly running out of time to re-engage their audience after that disaster of a 3 month hiatus and the idiotic move to 10 PM. They've done everything they possibly could have done to mess this show up. I invite them to re-watch Season 1 and 2 (FF through Anna Lucia's scenes) and get a clue. Or get a new audience.

kizzy

well, one thing we can be certain of: NO WIRE HANGERS, EVERRRRR!