"Lost" Diary -- Stranger in a Strange Land

2/22/2007 3:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary. After last week's epic episode, I am psyched for this week. "Lost" is back (back, meaning good again) and I couldn't be happier.

There were some unbelievably great comments last week. Some notes on a few of them:

-- A ton of you said that you thought of me immediately when you heard about Charlie's impending death. OK, so not only do I obsess over the potential death of a fictional television character, but now even total strangers I have never met know it too.

-- Most of you agree Charlie should die, but it seems the second most disliked character is Kate. She has gotten pretty annoying and all she's good for is being held at gunpoint.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together -- kinda like Van Halen reuniting, only none of us play any instruments. Let's roll:

10:00
-- Kate wants Sawyer to turn the boat around to go back and rescue Jack (predictable) while Karl is babbling incoherently about God and Jacob. When was the last time Kate said something where she wasn't whining?

10:01 -- Jack thinks the Others plan on killing him now, and he's got every reason to think so. But Henry Gale did promise to send him "home," which I think we all know isn't happening. My prediction: the Others start to send him home, only Locke and Sayid and the rest of them "rescue" him and ruin it. Just a thought.

10:02 -- "Hey." -- Juliet. Things don't look so good for her.

10:06 -- And it's Jack flashback time. Prepare for either daddy issues or dumped by his wife issues.

10:07 -- Or hot Asian woman on the beach issues.

10:08 -- Jack's in Sawyer's cage and apparently the Others have a "sheriff."

10:10 -- Kate and Sawyer are having some post-coital problems, and Karl is kinda creeping me out. But he is full of info, so there's that.

10:12 -- Juliet is trying to get Jack to help Ben as a "personal favor" to her. Other than the fact she's hot, why would we do her a favor? Jack, remember, she's evil.

10:18 -- Oh look, Jack brought up his dad. Didn't see that coming.

10:19 -- "I have a gift." -- Achara. I'm sure that won't come up later.

10:20 -- Isabelle wants to ask Jack a few questions. First impression: she's kind of creepy, but only kind of.

10:21 -- Apparently, Isabelle is "investigating" whether or not Juliet tried to get Jack to kill Henry. I half expected to hear the "Law & Order" sound. What are the odds Jack lies to save Juliet? I am going 80/20 that he does.

10:22 -- What a sap.

10:23 -- Not sure what I think about this Isabelle. Feels like they are trying to force another creepy character on us. The rest of the room thinks she's a transvestite; a tad harsh, I think. What happened to Ms. Klugh?

10:26 -- Well at least Jack scored with Achara. There is a dirty joke here to be made about her "gift," but I'm gonna be the adult here and let it go.

10:28 -- Hey it's Cindy from the back of the plane and she's "there to watch." That doesn't sound good. Oh Cindy, Ana Lucia's dead and she was a bitch, too. Sorry to break it to you.

10:30 -- Karl ran away to hide in the woods and cry and has never heard of "The Brady Bunch." Except for the episode in Hawaii with Vincent Price and the tiki, I wish I had never heard of it either. Lauren wonders why they aren't questioning Karl more. Fair point.

10:32 -- Gotta admit, I am bored as hell. The room is restless and throwing out four-letter words.

10:33 -- Apparently, Alex has daddy issues too. She and Jack will have a lot to talk about.

10:34 -- And Jack wants out of his cage. Maybe now something will actually happen.

10:39 -- "The cavalry has arrived at last." -- Henry Gale. If this were a cheezy 90s sitcom, the studio audience would applaud Henry's first appearance -- it's long overdue.

10:40 -- So Ethan was a surgeon. He kinda looked more like he worked at UPS.

10:41 -- So Jack is going to save Ben to save Juliet. Can a man be (another word for a small cat)-whipped if they haven't even had sex? Grow a pair Jack!

10:42 -- By the way, part of me thinks Jack is lying about the infection just to save Juliet.. Only, again, I don't think he has the cajones.

10:43 -- "My work is not decoration, it is definition." -- Achara. Bit of a letdown on the whole "gift" thing. I wish it had been something dirty.

10:45
-- I think Jack just committed reverse tattoo rape. Never thought I'd coin that phrase.

10:46 -- "He has, however, ordered her to be marked." -- Isabelle. Like a tattoo? Like "The Scarlett Letter"? What kind of mark are we talking about here?

10:50
-- Three things about Jack's beating: 1) His tattoo wasn't complete. 2) Reverse tattoo rape has its consequences. 3) I really thought one of the guys was going to say, "Welcome to Thailand, bitch!" R.I.P. "The O.C."

10:51 -- I was kind of expecting Juliet's "mark" to be like Jack's tattoo, not a branding.

10:54 -- Juliet says they're leaving the island and taking Jack back to where they live. We saw their little village when the plane crashed, so "where they live" shouldn't be a huge surprise. But so many people have mentioned it during the episode, I kinda think it will be.

10:55 -- Sawyer thinks Kate threw him a "I thought you were going to die" lay, and she doesn't appear to be denying it. That's gotta hurt.

10:56 -- So Jack's tattoo says, "He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us." Jack says, "That's what they say, but that's not what they mean." Thanks, Yoda.

10:57 -- Nothing is really happening.

10:58 -- Still nothing.

10:59 -- Huh?

Normally I now do a "What did we learn this week?" But I am too angry for that. What the hell was that? On the heels of one of the best episodes ever, we get a complete and utter waste of an hour. Just a severe, other level disappointment.

According to the promos, we were supposed to get three mysteries solved, but I only counted two: what Jack's tattoo means (like anyone really cared about that!), and why no one watches "Lost" anymore. I can't defend this episode, so I am just going to stop writing about it. Tomorrow's "O.C." finale better be good, or else I will really lose it.

This is the spot where I usually throw out a question to try and spark comments, but it seems futile this week, since every comment will probably be about how much this episode sucked. But if you can come up with anything good that came out of this week, I'd LOVE to hear it. Seriously, anything at all.

(Deep breath ... Come on Daniel, it's just a television show.)

Sorry, normally I am not this negative. So let's try this again. Here is my question to you: If you could pick one word to describe your reaction to tonight's episode, what would it be?

See you next week.

Don

Forgettable. Usually I tell people that have never seen lost that you have to start at the beginning. If you don't watch every episode you will be totally confused (or at least more than everyone who has seen them all) but everyone could have missed last night and I don't think anyone would notice. They should have played this one on valentines when everyone was busy.

Jeff

Flacid.
Like drunk sex, you know something is happening but you really aren't sure of what that is.

Kim Hall

Okay, I am thinking this was def one of the WORST episodes yet but Sawyer had some really funny lines so I was not totally disappointed. I thought Jack acted like he was on crack. Especially when he screamed at Cindy to go "watch" whatever she was there to see instead of asking her a million questions that she probably would have answered. Jack's flashback was totally stupid and if somebody knows why they beat the crap out of him on the beach and what that was all about please enlighten me. That skin and bones me love you long time girl with the boob job was obviously thrown in the mix to keep the guys entertained during an obvious throw away waste of time episode.
That last scene where they are on the boat and Juliette gives Jack that stupid grin would have been much more entertaining if they had, at the very least, played the theme song fromTitanic
Maybe it would make the show more interesting if they got Jeff Probst from Survivor to be one of the Others and organize some sort of physical challenge contest kind of thing each week. That way they can continue to write storylines that make no sense but at least we would all get to see Hurley scale a wall, run an obsticle course and eat gross worms. . Just an idea I had but hey who wouldn't want to tune in for that?
How many times has anyone ever gone to a movie and found out that the trailers were much better than the actual movie? It seems as if this is the case w/the big hyped previews for all these NEW episodes. I'd rather just watch a rerun of last season instead of what the writers are putting out this season.

jennifer

yes, the secrets revealed were a letdown but has anyone else figured out yet that that's what TV networks do to keep the ratings (as in number of viewers at a certain time). Three mysteries were solved, I know you're going to say this is such a jip but...three people were taken by the others, the stewardess lady and the two children. Three mysteries answered. We know they're alive and they're ok. As for Jack's tattoo, I never really considered that to be a mystery, I could've cared less what it meant. I just figured it was some "meaningful" tattoo he got back in the real world and had no connection to life on the island. The really good part that I actually think was nearing genius on the part of the writers to deepen the plot was the meaning of the tattoo. "He walks amongst us but he is not one of us". Name one thing that makes you think of. I'm not a religious person (the lightbulb is going of in some of your heads now) but that sounds like a biblical Jesus type reference to me....After further thought and input from my co-Lost fanatic friend...what is Jack's last name? Shepherd...Da da da! It's turning into a mythical epic story.

Jo

I remembered tonight how much I miss Locke and Hurley.

green-beankitty

tricked again.... and the story line is now so lame that all I can think about is how everybody looks like they have horrible breath.. and juliet makes me want to slap her every time she opens her mouth.. it's like someone is feeding her a ton of xanax, she's so effing monotone, and jack needs to grow some gnads, and him banging an ugly asian chick doesn't convince me that he has any. and that one guy who used to wear the beard, he is just so painful to look at when he's on the screen that I have to look away. isn't ben's daughter the crazy french chicks daughter??

green-beankitty

and from last week.... why the hell would claire have cut her bangs.. they look awful all poofy and 80's (no offense to anyone that digs that). loved sawyers heart to heart with the ugly boy..

Jamie

The word I would pick is....balls. I didn't think last week's episode was that great either. I heard that it was ABC who said three secrets would be discovered, and not the producers of Lost. So based on what ABC said about this next coming episode...it's probably going to bad as well.

Jackie

Is "circle-jerk" considered a one word phrase? LOL. Cuz that's what I feel like this episode was ... it just went around in a circle and jerked everyone off with no real hope of a climax of any kind. RIDICULOUS. Who gives a crap about the asian whore who could read people's auras and sh*t? I mean, seriously. The one thing I DID love about this episode was Sawyer going over and punching Karl and telling him to "cowboy up". HILARIOUS. I hope they come out with a book of Sawyer'isms at some pt.

Krista Liles

It was definitely one of the worst episodes. I probably would not be so harsh if I had not been teased into thinking I would learn 3 major things.
I'm so SICK of the enigmatic one-liner answers the characters give to each other (yes, I know it's only a show...)
**(please Daniel, don't quit writing about the show....I love it!!)

Barb

The only good thing about LOST is Daniel's blog. It's far more entertaining than the show. I only wish I could be part of his posse on Wednesday nights.

Robin

Did anyone notice that Henry called the place they were going at the end of the show "Home"? Since he said he was sending Juliette and Jack "Home", is that where they could possibly be sent? Jack wouldn't like that little twist.

Mary

I agree with the comments posted, Lost is losing its fans and I am one of them. The story seems to be going around in circles with nothing happening. How much longer can the writers keep this up.

Jennifer

Okay, not sure if anyone brought this up yet, since I got tired of reading everyone's *itching. I didn't like it either, but I did catch something subtle, though it's only a theory.

Remember how the Others keep saying, "we're the good ones"? Well, what about the stewardess (who they made to appear almost saint like), and the children and other survivors that have been adopted into their society, are the one's they felt were also, "good ones". When you think about it our losties all have some major character defects that could be branding them as "the bad ones". Just mull it over.

donutboy

well we will all be lucky if the rumors are true that this is the last season of LOST. then we wont have to sit through this crap anymore.