"Lost" Diary -- Tricia Tanaka Is Dead

3/1/2007 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

I have come up with the theory that there are four times when I am super-mega excited for an episode of "Lost": a season premiere, a season finale, the week after a great episode and the week after a terrible one. So since last week's ep was such a dud, consider me super-mega excited for this week.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together. Let's roll:

10:00 -- Cheech is Lil' Hurley's dad, and apparently, he thinks you can fix cars just by wishing. He's been hanging around Chong too much if you ask me.

10:01 -- Lil' Hurley's dad sneaks him a candy bar. So of all the mysteries of "Lost," is this the episode where we learn why Hurley is fat? Food isn't love, little guy.

10:02 -- Odds Hurley is talking to Libby's grave?

10:03 -- Too easy.

10:04 -- Charlie is shaving on the beach. Gee, I hope he doesn't nick an artery ...

10:05 -- Hurley thinks he might be the reason that Charlie is going to die. Note to self: send Hurley some sausages as a thank you present.

10:06 -- Vincent returns holding an arm, which is holding a rabbit's foot and a key. That doesn't even make the top 20 list of weirdest things that have happened on this show. Hell, that's downright normal.

10:07 -- Did Hurley just find a car?

10:09 -- Tricia Tanaka is reporting on Hurley buying Mr. Cluck's, and the title of this episode is, "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead." Hmmm, I am not liking Tricia's chances here.

10:10 -- Actually, I don't like her chances of coming out of that chicken joint alive.

10:11 -- Poor Tricia, we hardly knew ya.

10:12 -- Hurley just found the van from "Little Miss Sunshine," except it's blue instead of yellow and instead of Greg Kinnear and Alan Arkin inside, it has dead Dharma workers .

10:13 -- Ugh, the new people. Why, J.J.? Why?

10:14 -- No one wants any part of Hurley and his blue van, except for Jin, who can't speak English. Even the stupid new people bailed.

10:15 -- At this point, if Sawyer and Kate are on screen -- and NOT having sex -- Lauren is disappointed. I can only assume she speaks for most women on this one.

10:16 -- Kate wants Sawyer to say he's sorry. Maybe it's just the guy in me, but I have no clue what he has to apologize for.

10:17 -- Kate and Sawyer arrive back at camp, congratulated by tons of people we've never seen before. Touching. Where are Rose and Bernard?

10:20 -- "Tricia Tanaka is dead." -- Hurley. Well said.

10:21 -- Hey dad, where you been the last 17 years? Oh, a fat joke? Thanks for that, pops. Good to see you.

10:22 -- "Dude, I suck at charades. You wanna what?" -- Hurley. Best line I have heard so far by someone who couldn't understand Jin.

10:23 -- "I have a right to know when I'm gonna die." -- Charlie. I have a right to know too, since I have that big party to plan when it happens. Yes, you're all invited -- but it's BYOB.

10:24 -- Alright, don't tell anyone this, but the Sawyer-Hurley-Jin reunion choked me up just a bit.

10:25 -- Ok, Kate is telling Sayid that Jack said he told Sawyer and her not to come back, because he sacrificed himself so they could escape. That's bull. I am telling you: Jack doesn't want them to mess with his "going home" and he doesn't want to face them again because he'll feel guilty. Now is probably the time to tell you I am almost never right with any theory I have about "Lost." Just thought you should know.

10:26 -- How much of this season has been spent watching one person explain something that already happened -- and that we already knew -- to someone else?

10:27 -- Kate is going for help. Rousseau, anyone?

10:30 -- Hurley looks really happy that his dad is home.

10:31 -- When Hurley's mom says "Hugo" like "Hoogo," I kinda giggle a bit every time. New rule: whenever Hurley's mom is around, I will refer to him as Hoogo. Starting ...

10:32 -- Now. Hoogo's mom wants some Cheech lovin'. Good for her.

10:33 -- "What's up with all this recycling?" -- Sawyer. Hmmm, lines like that usually aren't said for no reason.

10:34 -- Take your bets, will the car start? I am going with a resounding no.

10:35 -- The correct answer was "not even close." We would have also excepted "absolutely not." Thanks for playing.

10:36 -- Did Sawyer just "cheers" with that guy's skull?

10:39 -- I hate being awakened in the morning, but being awakened by Cheech would be a welcome change of pace.

10:40 -- Odds the psychic predicts doom and danger in Hurley's future? I am going with hells yes, and done so with terrible over-acting.

10:41 -- The correct answer was darkness and tragedy, mixed in with a stupid curse-removal ritual, which was all fake because Hurley's dad is a scumbag.

10:43 -- "Let's look death in the face and say, 'Whatever, man.'" -- Hurley. William Wallace, he ain't.

10:44 -- Sawyer shouldn't be teaching anyone English.

10:45 -- And Hurley shouldn't try insulting people. Redneck man? Weak.

10:46 -- Ok, seriously -- now "Lost" really has turned into "Little Miss Sunshine." Hurley is Greg Kinnear (the over-positive one), Sawyer is Alan Arkin (the wiseass) and Jin is the son who doesn't speak.

10:50 -- So what are the odds Charlie volunteers to drive the car down the hill? I say yes, followed by some stupid speech about cheating death. Followed by him succeeding and not dying. Followed by me hurling expletives at the TV.

10:51 -- Charlie volunteers to ride shotgun. 0 for 1.

10:52 -- "Victory or death." -- Charlie. Kinda cheesy speech. 1 for 2.

10:53 -- Hurley is closing his eyes and repeating, "There is no curse. You make your own luck." If you were wondering the exact moment this episode lost me, this is it.

10:54 -- Car starts, Charlie doesn't die. 2 for 3.

10:55 -- Sawyer and Jin jump into the car, kinda like they do in "Little Miss Sunshine."

10:56 -- "F&^@_!*$@#^!)&!!@!$!" -- me. 3 for 4.

10:58 -- What the hell was Sayid talking about with the light hitting Mr. Eko's stick and leading them to the Others? Did I black out when that happened? One last prediction: Kate tells Rousseau about Alex.

10:59 -- Too easy.

Okay, so what did we learn this week? Everyone on this show has daddy issues ... Hurley wasn't always fat ... When we're not looking, Sayid and Locke use Eko's Jesus stick as an Others compass.

After last week's debacle, I was looking forward to a return to form. Did I get it? Let's just say I will be typing that sentence again next week. This episode was almost as bad as the week before. But it did give me the gift of Hoogo, so I will give it a D+. Nothing happened, our story didn't move forward, and the flashbacks didn't reveal anything interesting.

But now an even more important issue has been raised; I used to never watch promos for "Lost" -- I either left the room or covered my ears and closed my eyes when they came on. I never want to know anything that is going to happen the following week. But to make myself more educated on all things "Lost," I started watching them.

You know what? They don't tell you s**t. In fact, they lie to you completely. Last week was about the three mysteries. This week was something about "If you don't watch, you won't know what everyone is talking about the next day." Hey ABC, you know what I'm talking about today? How much your promos suck!!!

So here is the question of the week: I am going back to avoiding all commercials and promos like the plague. Are you with me?

See you next week.

theeg

i also thought the redneck man comment was funny. i thought saywer had alot of funny lines in this ep. that being said, the story advanced nada, except between 10:57 and 10:59. they need to step it up. and i agree about the promos. Exactly what are we supposed to be talking about today? Seriously, i'm not even being sacrastic..

andy e

i love this show but i'm getting really pissed off about these past 2 weeks. i also want to know why these idiots aren't asking any questiong. they just sit there and are too proud to care they are locked up in cages or glass rooms. this episode was completely ridiculous. it actually makes me mad. the flashbacks are so stupid they should just stick with the island and the others and why they are there. i don't care how hoogo got so fat. i've never missed an episode but now if were to miss one i wouldn't feel so bad. the best way to watch new episodes of this show is to wait for it to come on dvd and watch them back to back to back. now i have to wait another week to learn that john locke can't play chess.

Jonny

Is this show ever going to get good again? The only good news coming out of this episode is that the Lost producers are asking for a series finale date. Let's think probably 4 years from now the way they're answering questions.

I'm starting to lose it. There are 40 new people on the island but no Rose? The big secret this week was that Rousseau's kid is Alex? C'mon who didn't see that coming.

My prediction for next week is that Ben tells Jack that going home doesn't mean leaving the islands. It just means he gets to go back to where the other actually live.

Bran

I LOVED last night's show. It may not have given us any information, but it was funny as hell and showed sawyers soft side. I loved it! For the first time watching, I wasn't worried about finding out any information or inspecting every scene, I just sat back and enjoyed!

What it did do, was give a few "Losties" a new hope, which I am hoping will give them stamina for the big fight to get Jack back! I don't care what anyone says, Jack, Kate, Hurley, Locke & Sawyer ARE this show! Any of them die, the show just may go with them!

DEATH TO CHARLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yabadabadooo

THIS EPIDOSE SUCKED BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING REVEALED.....GRRRRRRRRRRRR
IT SUCKED I TELL YOU, IT SUCKED!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM WRITERS????????????????????????????????????? AWWWWWWWW I AM SO DISAPPOINTED.

sarah

funny ass episode. it reminded me of the first season, before all of the psychological crap entered the picture. i'd say, all around, it makes a nice filler episode. i love Oogo!

Blake

OMG I've never seen so many whiny people. Episode was GREAT! Yet, people whine about the most bizarre things!
Example : " Why all the old actors like Cheech"

Who did you want them to have as Hurley's dad? Justin Timberlake?
This blog used to be fun, but now it's just some nagging whiney woman making catty remarks about everything.

You do realize Charlie is a character being played by an actor, right?

basil

I'm surprised so many people know the new characters' names. I didn't know who the heck they were. When did they first appear?

I agree that the previews lie. I'm going to stop watching them as well. they only serve to disappoint. At this rate, I enjoy reading this site more than watching the actual show.

the writers/producers better ramp it up!

melissa

Did anyone else notice the white fog ( about the size of a basketball ) near Hurley's shoulder when he found the bus?: I watch the show in HD so it was easy to see.

Monica

Oh where to start..bad acting? No too obvious. Unnecessary and unwelcome new characters to confuse an already befuddling plot line or lack thereof? Again, not right. I'm going with downright unentertaining. What is wrong with the writers? Of course, we're the morons, I forgot. The last two minutes were the only thing worth watching. Can we not have more ass kicking? Where is Sayid? Save Jack hell. SAVE US!!

Jack's Girl

Ok, so, i'm getting pretty annoyed with Lost. Last nights ep was a waste of time. I could have caught a few extra z's than waste my time! WTF?
I just don't know where to begin. I was expecting a lot more. I mean, Kate and Sawyer come back and there's no questions asked! What the....!!! I can also say, the Kate/Sawyer/Jack thing is getting old. I'm sick of her whining each week over one or the other. Just make up your friggin mind!!!

Karen

OMG!! I completely agree with your assessment of this TERRIBLE episode. I mean, who doesn't love our fat dude Hurley, BUT when the hell are they going to move the story forward??!! This epidsdoe was totally pointless.

I just discovered this Diary last week and so 1/2 way through the episode, it was the only thing I was looking forward to. Episode grade: D Diary commentary: A

Thanks for the laughs!

Christine

This episode, like last week's episode, was TERRIBLE! The boring, mindless humor they had in this episode was just filler. Where are the answers? And last week's huge mystery-solved was what Jack's tattoo means? Who cares! When in the world are we going to learn about the numbers, the others, the toe-less statue, the Dharma Initiative? It's so annoying that the writers/producers patronize us as viewers. At this rate LOST is going to be canceled and we will never get any answers.

Leslie

Although it didn't solve any mysteries (after all this isn't Scooby Doo) it was amusing. I love Sawyer's nicknames for everybody and he always has a different one for everyone....Snuffy and then Jumbotron later for Hurley...then there was Jiminey Cricket for Charlie...hilarious stuff! Sick of Kate...give it a rest! Jack's a big boy he can take care of himself.

BTW: It's going to rain...Desmond was rushing to get his shelter covered with a tarp.

Angel

You people are missing the point of LOST. Its about the people AND the mythology. Just sit tight and enjoy the ENTIRE work of art. Sometimes the episodes will deal with the mysteries of the island and the plot, sometimes the episodes will delve into the personal stories of the people trapped in this story. The personal history goes a long way to explain why these people react the way they do to these mysteries and conflicts. Along the way they throw subtle (and not so subtle) clues as to what's going on and what we can look forward to. I agree the writing is slowing down a bit and they're holding back too much. They may be afraid to change things up too much because of the crybabies that can't handle change .... the same crybabies that complain about the Others having too big a role this season.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments