Joel Madden

Accused of Battering a Woman

3/6/2007 5:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that the Beverly Hills Police Department is investigating rocker Joel Madden, after a female photographer filed a "crime report" claiming he attacked her during a violent confrontation Sunday night.

According to police sources, the woman claimed Madden struck her on the left breast "with the heel of his hand" as the rocker tried to escort his girlfriend, Nicole Richie, out of the back door of Mr. Chow restaurant in Beverly Hills. The photographer told TMZ that she has a welt to prove it, and had to see a doctor for treatment.

Madden can be seen throwing a forceful, open-handed stiff-arm into the chest of another paparazzo, moments after the alleged incident.

Police reps also tell TMZ that they take every claim seriously, and a crime report was taken on this incident.

A rep for Madden had no comment.

TJ

To have your picture taken is one thing,being swarmed every time you go out is another.Pushing the woman was wrong but her and the other photogs should back off. Must be a helluva way to make a living! I personally don't believe, just because you are a celebrity that you have to be photographed every friggin second of your life.

KE - Burbank, CA

Having read everything posted here, I am shocked how people who don't even know someone can so vehemently criticize someone's actions. How can someone be judged when no one knows the whole situation. I can understand the frustration with the cameras and the lights and the crowds of pap,, but truthfully, LA is full of that. Cut Joel some slack. I understand how some fans can be disappointed that he is no longer with Hillary, as I was when I first learned of the new relationship, however, that doesn't make him a bad person. I've met both Joel & Hillary and found them to be overwhelming sweet and personable. My musician son and I had lunch at the booth next to them at a local restaurant and they were pleasant and humble. Cudos to them for enduring the cameras while pursuing their dreams. I may be 50 but I certainly couldn't see him punching the female in the video, I did, however, see him push/punch the male. The guy was way taller than Joel and let me say this, you try walking through throngs of (mostly) men shoving cameras and intense lighting into your face so you can barely see where you're going and then post your rude and harsh comments.

DanaD

I see nothing in this video footage that warrants anyone being sued. If you are ina large group of people who REFUSE to get out of your way, for the simple reason of keeping you in an area against your will, I feel a shove (that was not even a push) does not warrant legal action. The guy who was actually shoved...well, he was blocking his car....

I love it!

Yeah he did it. I hope she sues his ass for a heap of money. I hate him now for being with Nicole Ritchie.

tb

he's an idiot...anyone who dates nicole richie is an idiot! he probably beats her too

Anti Matty

Hey madden try that with this female. I'll kick you in the balls!!

There's video of you physicall pushing a photographer. Its no leap that you would do it again.

Arrest that loser. Nasty tatooed Jerk!! You coward!!! YOU BROKE UP WITH HILLARY DUFF bacause you were afraid of her stalker. Now you are a big tough man.

Jerk.

Photogs kick a** when you see him next.

Mad Balls

Just another LA thug who thinks he's gods gift to women . I liked his band but this short slimy weasel is getting on my nerves . Goes to show that money can't buy you brains, good looks or average penis size . Nichole if you need a good lay some to Michigan where we treat our women nice . Do this before this thug starts beating on you !

Buster

Who the hell is that guy. Looks like a high school drop-out.

Liam

"He doesnt have a choice, he is too girly to beat up guys, so he has to beat up women. He is sooooo hardcore" - Avril Lavigne

Paulie Wants a Cracker

Who cares??? Don't be famous if you can't take it!!!
o.k maybe that was harsh, but remember if they are not following you your not hot anymore.
I think we are too obsessed with hollywood people anyways, we care more about them then real news that actually has meaning good or bad.
I'm just as guilty as anyone, I love my hollywood fix. They are all a bunch of drug addicts(paris hilton) in cults.(tom cruise) haha
but you just have to love them, thanks for being my entertainment.
Keep up the good work and entertain us some more with your out of control lifes, since most of the movies suck now a days.
I could write a better movie than most of these lame writers anyways.
My spelling in my screenplays might suck but hey you can bite me for all i care.

LiLCynic31

Yeah, he can be pretty overzealous - about his girlfriends. Richie is utter trash but he's a doormat anyway. He could go out with a "nobody" and for damned sure he won't get bothered. He only really gets snapped when he's with whatever celeb chick he is dating at the moment. While I agree the paps can be pesky (and often go over the line), as a celeb (which he relishes in) he should know by now that is the territory. I don't feel sorry for him.

tb

anyone who dates that disapearing slut, aka nicole richie, is an idiot.....she is not worth fighting over for thats for sure! dont go out if you dont want your pic taken! common sense! guess all the crack has rotted your brain

jenn

MORE CELBES SHOULD DO THE SAME IT MIGHT TEACH THEM A LESSION

Tim

I really don't blame him or any other celeb..I know that is the price you pay for fame, but come on..those photo hounds are relentless, there everywhere, they chase you down whenever and wherever you are..I would be out of my mind dealing with that, and its all about the money..those rag magazines pay very well.

Peeps