Garrison Keillor:

A Prairie Homophobic Companion?

3/14/2007 3:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Garrison KeillorTaking a page from the Ann Coulter Handbook, alleged humorist and "A Prairie Home Companion" radio host Garrison Keillor has made some queer comments about homosexuals and gay parents.

In an article titled "Stating the Obvious" in salon.com, the Minnesota author wrote, "The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men -- sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts." Apparently, Keillor's research consisted entirely of watching a Netflix copy of "The Birdcage" and reruns of "Queer Eye."

The droll lamenter also whined about how "... gay marriage will produce a whole new string of hyphenated relatives ... and I suppose we'll get used to it." Keillor then rambled on about the joys of growing up in a "mixed-gender marriage" during a time when, "Everyone had a yard, a garage, a female mom, a male dad, and a refrigerator with leftover boiled potatoes in plastic lids." Go to your room, Beav.

TROLL SMASHERS

BE CAREFUL Just a thought - JANE & BILL & THAT OTHER GUY don't like it when you tell them what they can't do

Keep in mind their heart-ache when "bill" pees on the stick only to get a NEGATIVE response every month....

Wonderboynyc

Have we become so self-righteous that we cannot allow anyone a little humor please?

This fag finds it funny.

megan1996

That article is satire, and you completely quoted him out of context. I think you should take down this entry, since it's completely confused and will mislead people tremendously.

With all the REAL homophobia going on out there, posting this satire as an actual issue only does a disservice to those fighting against it. I'm really disappointed in TMZ for this.

Judith Adams

Homosexuality is an orientation. Homophobia is a mental illness.

warrior caliber

Im very saddened that TMZ chose to make such HUGE judgements toward G.K.'s statements, as I don't exactly get the feeling that he's pointing at gay's and telling them they're going to burn in Hell and quite frankly, anyone who thinks he was making insensitive remarks needs to A) find out who is first and then go take an elementary reading comprehension class.'

Mr. Keillor is the epitomy of sarcasm and given the rigid attempts toward the same tongue-in-cheek humor this site uses daily, I would expect the TMZ staff to pick up on it when they see it from others. Don't get too big for your britches and turn in to FOX News Channel correspondents and start making wild and accusatory insinuations, especially on an issue such as this. However, based on several of the comments here today, I can see that it's not Keillor making an ass of himself, but the biggots and for the moment, the staff who put that inflammatory garbage on the site.

madam pince

Yet another reason to hate Garrison Keillor. I'm a diehard non-fan of his show, so perhaps I'm missing his vaunted "droll humor." It just sounds pretentious to me.

TROLL SMASHERS

#108, MC - I READ YOUR BLOG and yes, I'm just a bitch - why? because I believe that SEXUAL PERVERSION IS WRONG, PLAIN & SIMPLE.

And PEOPLE THAT PERVERT SEX, I don't have to be the one to say it's wrong...

YOU KNOW IT'S WRONG THAT'S WHY YOU'RE SO MAD when someone says anything about it.... COME ON BE REAL, STOP HIDING BEHIND THE LABELS & TITLES AND PC THIS & THAT...

You like kinky sex. That's all gays/lesbians are - people that like kinky sex, it's just that back in those "good old days" it was kept a secret and not forcefed to the masses.

But anyway, you said in your blog that myself & the others that feel this way "don't get it"

WHAT DON'T WE GET??? EDUCATE ME.

THAT YOU ARE SIMPLY TURNED ON AND AROUSED BY NAUGHTY, FORBIDDEN SEX, SOMETHING THAT ALL YOUR LIFE SOCIETY, THE CHURCH & MAYBE EVEN YOUR FAMILY HAS TOLD YOU WAS WRONG.

Like having an affair, the sex is great because "you're not supposed to be doing it"

That's ALL IT IS. It's not RIGHTEOUS, IT'S NOT EMOTIONAL. NONE OF THAT - IT'S JUST SEX AND YOU KNOW IT.

Now I beg of you, to point me in the direction of TWO MEN OR TWO WOMEN IN A ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP that call themselves GAY OR LESBIANS that DON'T HAVE SEX WITH EACH OTHER, BUT MERELY ENJOY EACH OTHERS COMPANY SO MUCH AND THAT FEEL SO ATTACHED TO EACH OTHER EMOTIONALLY, THEY CONSIDER IT A "RELATIONSHIP"

And look at you, that photo on your blog - sprawled out on a sofa with a "cowboy" hat covering your face.... COME ON - give this bitch a break.

And if I'm wrong, please prove me wrong & I'll be the first to gobble down that humble pie & make a REAL public apology to anyone that I offended with my belief.

CHALLENGE.

StuartM

Keillor's attitudes are as out-of-date and out-of-touch as his radio essays. His pieces on PHC aren't geweltschmerz -- they're the misanthropic ramblings of a self-impressed old fool. He's a dinosaur -- and so are his opinions, thank God.

danielle

I love Garrison Keillor he's a wonderful storyteller and author. You idiots don't understand humor unless it's a fart joke told by a man in a fat suit.

jen

If gays want to be taken seriously then they need to start going after their own. Perhaps they should start with Bobby Trendy.

DrivenCrazyByThePaps

I think his problem is Down's Syndrome. Look at the shape of his head, look at the eyes. He's a Down's Syndrome guy alright.

Dingleberry

Look - I can't speak for the man – but I will say this. It appears that yall' are not much into reading.

Read the article. Even read the quotes above!! He's talking about how "America's STEREOTYPE" of a gay man is bad for kids - NOT gay men. The article is about how if families choose to have kids, the kids need to become the focus, not the parents. He's lampooning adults’ stereotypes, and their whiney need to be the center of attention.

What's amazing is that TMZ quotes him accurately with the word "stereotype", and then TMZ finishes by trying to make fun of him - reiterating the fact that HE JUST USED A STEREOTYPE!

The other quotes? If you read it in context (as opposed to the jumble above) He's referring to the fact that his parent stayed together as the good thing - NOT their genders. As for the hyphenates? Again, he's trying to make a point about MONOGOMY!!

Slow news day at TMZ huh?

Look, just because he's from the Midwest, doesn't make him red. Keilor couldn't be more liberal if he wiped his ass with Anne Coulter's face. No wonder the political divide is so bad - if we can't even avoid our own stereotypes.

SUN

I dont think any of us should play God and judge. I personally dont think being with the same sex is natural. No where in nature are two of the same gender of species having sex. This is why being gay or lesbian does not look or feel right to me.

I do however, think that every person has a right to create their own life and destiny. I am not their creator, therefore should not bless or condemn their life.

Dingleberry

P.S. - all you jagoffs who "support" GK because you didn't read the article either, I think it just goes to show that the biggest problem in the USA is that nobody actually pays attention, and no one is ever willing to listen.

Show me a religion that says it's okay to hate and hurt people - and I'll show you a lie constructed by man.

kendra

I think it's important to note this should not be a divisive republican/democrat issue as it's been portrayed.

He has a point. And, he's not getting all his info from a couple flamboyant sources. He's making sense.