Miss Ross Misses

3/14/2007 11:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comDiana Ross gave a mind-numbingly horrific and off-key, shrieking, wobbly performance on "American Idol" last night, that left even Simon Cowell staring in disbelief.

From her opening spotlight, the wild-wigged diva seemed to totter, and then, in a big "American Idol" no-no, she slurred the lyric to her song. Instead of saying, "I know you feel the same way too," she 'sang,' "I know you spiel the same way too." Upside down!

After Diana almost hit several hollered notes, a stunned Simon's eyes widened as he took a sip of his Coke. The song seemed never-ending -- until Miss Ross appeared to mercifully wave at the band to quit playing.

Great Dane

How dare TMZ diss Diana Ross.....

She's not a spring chicken! She had on a really long dress, and some clunky shoes.....but, considering her age etc.....I thought she looked fabulous, and I was too busy singing along with her to even realize she made an error......

Diana Ross is Motown Royalty- show a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

aimee

OMG you noticed too!!! My mom and I were watching and we were like "whaaaaaaaaat? She is pitchy!!" ANd she didnt know what to do with that big feather thingy. She just threw it on the floor. Not very D I V A -ish. But the opening was awesome. Very D I V A -ish

Lori

My hubby and I were just staring at the TV. We couldnt believe what she sounded like. My hubby swears that big thing she was hauling around with her fell off her dress. Sooo funny. She was great in the day, but man she has lost it.

Dottie

I love her!!!! But clearly, she was a bit intoxicated.

Buck Ramone

Ah. . . didn't look as bad as it was made out to be.

GoAway

Wow, it was bad. Too many "refreshments" in the green room?

SPOOKS69

I TOTALLY DISAGREE AND THOUGHT MISS ROSS'S PERFOMANCE WAS GREAT.

teendav8

I noticed Melinda didn't want to sing with Diana so she just kinda mouthed the words; it would have helped us all if Melinda had taken the mike and took over!

How embarrassing for Diana...

Jenna

I agree she was a bit wobbly at times, but she is 62 years old. Considering her age, I think she looked and performed beautifully.

hot snot

yea, it was odd. i noticed it too, but thought...She's still Diana Ross, and it's her song.

cmyman

YA"LL ARE SOME HATERS>

DIANA ROSS was around when some of ya'll weren't even thought of.

don't hate. congradulate. This site talks hooey about a music legend but you folks have no problem reporting on angelina's latest baby " PURCHASE" she should be shot and dogged. not DIANA ROSS.

white lorelei

Jenna -- you make it sound like the next thing after 62 is dead. Pleeeeeeez. Ms. Ross was WAY off last night; she was off pitch the entire way, the song was beyond boring, and I think one of the rules of performing is that you try on your dress before you take the stage so that you know how (or whether) it works.

She didn't live up to the hype or the reputation last night; had she been a contestant she would have been voted off.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

I thought the same thing. She was not stable on her feet when she came out, and words were being slurred. I thought, perhaps, a little drunkie poo.

Keepin' It Real

I only hope when I get to be sixty (or seventry)-something that I have even half as much on the ball as DEVINE DIANA. I agree that she didn't sound recording studio good & she did totter around like a stiff wind could blow her over in those mega-tall shoes... but maybe she is just out of practice (okay & drank a little too much "false courage" backstage before coming out).

Matty

It was hilarious! It looks like Ms Ross needs rehab or at least good vocal training.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments