Deacon: Ban Elton John,

He'll Make You Gay!

3/16/2007 2:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

eltonThe Archdeacon of Trinidad and Tobago wants to ban Elton John from a local jazz festival for fear that he'll tempt locals into becoming gay.

Elton is scheduled to headline Tobago's Plymouth Jazz Festival in April, but the country's Archdeacon Philip Isaac told a Jamaican newspaper, "His visit to the island can open the country to be tempted towards pursuing his lifestyle." Trinidad and Tobago immigration laws makes it legal to bar openly gay individuals from entering the island.

Despite the Archdeacon's homophobic and preposterous request, organizers of the Plymouth Jazz Festival maintain that John will close the three-day concert on April 29, adding "This country should be honored to have Sir Elton John perform in Tobago." Can you feel the love tonight?

Besides Elton, other artists scheduled to perform at the jazz festival include Miss Diana Ross, Mary J. Blige, LL Cool J and Gladys Knight.

A rep for Elton John declined to comment.

pattie in cali

LEAVE ELTON ALONE. hes a good person. his music, shall i say more?. GO ELTON.

Sean Bresnahan

That's right, my loins stir because of Elton John - how foolish .Now Gerard Butler is another story!

Torrie

Oh yeah! Like there aren't any natural born citizens of Trinidad and Tobago who are gay? Ignorance is abundant in this world!

Alice

Oh, yeah! Seeing Sir Elton perform sure makes me want to be gay!!!!! NOT! BUT...ban something for religeous purposes and I want to see it even more than I might otherwise. Got to see what all the hype is about (remember the Blue LAgoon? Caused huge religeous outcry here in Canada...I was 1st in line to see it!)

teresa

PEOPLE SHOULD ALWAYS BE GAY WHEN LISTENING TO ELTON I KNOW I AM

mystisol

How archaic is this? I suppose they will need to put their gay-deflectors on. Oh wait...that's silly and closed-minded, too. Tobago needs to join the rest of us here in the present. This isn't the fifties...you can't "catch" gay.

WhyohWhy

"The Archdeacon of Trinidad and Tobago wants to ban Elton John from a local jazz festival for fear that he'll tempt locals into becoming gay. "

Becoming gay? OMG! Either you are gay (or bi) or not. It's as simple as that. The only thing they are (supposedly) worried about is some coming out of the closet.

I love Elton John. I guess that makes me gay! {Snort}

S.R.

If it was so dangerous.... his comment would LAUGHABLE!!!

I guess it's better to be a homosexual PEDOPHILE who HIDES BEHIND A CROSS!!

JOE

WOW SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST FUCKIN MORONS.THIS GUY IS PROBABLY A CLOSET QUEEN SELF LOATHER

Drum Funky

Let's see: Elton John, Diana Ross, Mary J. Blige, LL Cool J, and Gladys Knight . . .Jazz Festival?

I understand Yo Yo Ma is headlining the Country Music Festival there the following month.

JustMe

What an idiot! Saying if you see Elton John will make you gay is like saying if you see a person of different ethnicity than your own will make you that ethnicity.

whynot

What an idiot.

Margaret LoCicero

This is about the most disgusting, bigoted thing I've read in a long time...Elton John is one of the best performers...humanitarians and kindest people to touch my life via his music...this deacon needs to get a grip on what is good and right and then apologize.

Evie

Elton John has given back to society with his fundraisers. You can't be made gay, either you are or aren't. I love Elton. He rocks

Lydia Layne

Who cares about the gay thing when he has those little shoepeg corn teeth?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments