Brad & Leo Battle Over Credit Card Debt

3/30/2007 2:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has exclusively learned that Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio are fighting over the rights to the same documentary film.
Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio
Sources tell TMZ that Pitt's Plan B production company is interested in turning James Scurlock's critically acclaimed documentary expose of America's obsession with credit card debt, "Maxed Out," into a feature film with a big Hollywood cast, in the vein of "Fast Food Nation." A well-placed TMZ source says that a Plan B rep contacted Scurlock's agent expressing how Pitt really enjoyed the docu's companion book, 'Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lenders.'

TMZ has learned that shortly after Plan B's call, Scurlock's reps were contacted by DiCaprio's production shingle, Appian Way Productions, who revealed the same interest in the documentary. Hunky see, hunky do!

We're told neither production company has finalized any deals for the film's rights, but it could turn into Pitt's biggest brawl since "Troy."

"Maxed Out" is playing in select cities now.

A rep for DiCaprio told TMZ, "This story is bull. It sounds like someone is creating a bidding war to try and make a buck."

A rep for Plan B could not be reached.

GINA

GO LEO!!!!

Pam The Real Pam

Again, who the hell cares TMZ??? I know it is rather hypocritical to read your articles then complain, but hey, if this was a magazine or newspaper I would never buy one again. You have to get better news or give up.

Pam The Real Pam

Once again TMZ -- get better news or give up.

Rebecca

Ohhh I hope the fight over it, topless and covered in oil, I'm throwing my name in the hat first to be their towel girl ; ) hey a girl can dream!

cinderella42470

It is so stupid how you have to go to your email to activate comments on this site. And don't tell me you can just sign in up top and skip this cause you can't. It's just Stupid.

haha

Yeah Leo is sexy.... He gives me feels I can’t describe hehe

Kait

Maybe this is too simple a solution and my often annoying optimism speaking, but why don't they just join forces? They are both major stars with production companies. They both have major selling power. So combine creative forces and make it great!

joanne

Go Leo, you are the better actor. Hot too!!!

Snarksnarksnark

Brad is only trying to increase his social activism creds in order to impress his globe-trotting, baby-buying, lying Svengali (AKA Angelina Jolie).

Sis

His name is Morgan Spurlock not Scurlock. Some investigative site this is.

Snarksnarksnark

My money is on DiCaprio. Pitt has gotten kind of pudgy-looking though he still looks hot on a motorcycle. Besides, DiCaprio is probably more bankable than Pitt.

Sis

Never mind my last comment. Apparently I am the only confused one

Scurlock

well, my friends call me Scurlock, it shows how well your investigation went, Sis

Jennifer

What do either of these two people know about credit card debt? And why would they care about the average person and their debt? I don't want people who can buy anything in the world and have a worth of over 100 million dollars telling me that I owe to much. If they think American owe to much, give everyone 5 grand, it won't even be missed by either of them.

NCaudill

It's about time someone in Hollywood did a serious take on how credit card companies are unregulated and driving people into bankruptcy, alcoholism and suicide with predatory lending practices. I don't give a damn who's bankrolling or directing it.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments