"Idol" Ratings Down, Sanjaya to Blame?

4/6/2007 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Viewership of "American Idol" has slipped compared to last season, and each episode has been watched by less people than the one before it. Is the lack of talent, embodied by Internet fav Sanjaya Malakar, the cause? Or maybe, as the show's EP would have us believe, it's the sun's fault.
American Idol
Nielsen stats show that the Tuesday performance shows are down about 10 percent compared to last season (from roughly 31 million viewers to 28). This past Wednesday night's results episode, which saw tongue-studded shrieker Gina Glocksen get the boot, was the least watched episode of the season, according to TV Week.

Idols on vacation: Click to launch galleryBut if you ask "Idol" producer Nigel Lythgoe what is causing the problem, he'll blame daylight saving time, which started three weeks earlier this year. Ratings tend to dip every year whenever the time change kicks in. "Even if we lost 50 percent of our audience, we'd still be in the top three shows in the country," Lythgoe said at a press conference on Monday. It's good to be king.

They about to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry Nigel Lythgoe its not daylight savaings time,I dont beleive that all the ones that have been voted off are the bottom three

Teejeaux

I think that the one way to bring this show back to what it used to be is to add something different. My suggestion? Let each of the judges have one "Veto" per season. That way, if One of the talented people get voted off leaving an extreme loser like Sanjaya on the show, one of the judges can veto it, and the next lowest number of votes gets booted. Hopefully, that would be Sanjaya!

storm

I liked Taylor

judy

The whole thing with Sanjaya is ridiculous. As for the arrogant Lythgoe, if there was actually a week where absolutely no one voted for anyone, would he blame that on global warming? What a crock! He appears to be as full of himself as Sanjaya.

BRONX

SANJAY AS TURNED ME OFF . HOW CAN ANYONE VOTE FOR HIM ,CANT SING NO TALENT AND I SEE FOLKS WHO REALLY CAN SING GET KICKED OFF , ITS A WASTE OF TIME TO WATCH THIS CRAZINESS

polomontana

Sanjaya has nothing to do with the ratings being down. Last year were record ratings and even though the ratings are down some, they still are very high. If anything, Sanjaya is keeping this season interesting. Without Sanjaya, this season would be BORING!!!

AMN

I live in Philadelphia, and work down the street from where the radio broadcaster is "camping out" until Sanjaya is off the show. And as he said this morning, its a talent competition, a singing competition, not a popularity contestor beauty contest. I think the fact that he is still on there is ridiculous. He cant sing, he sounds like a little kid in a school play. Anyway, thats what I think. I was a faithful fan since Kelly Clarksons win, and this year has got to be the worst! I feel bad for the really talented contestants.

Crickett

Sad part was that Sanjaya was NOT even in the bottom three this week. Pure and simple this is a popularity contest, not - as some people think - a singing contest.

DK

I have watched every seson of Idol but refuse to watch this years since the top 12 were announced. Sanjaya is awful and should not be on. They have voted off people who are 100 times better them him. Hope the ratings contiune to drop.

Melonie

Perhaps people are finally waking and realizing they are watching a vapid and shallow show. So glad the ratings are in decline!!!!

Janeanne

I record AI each week so that I can fast forward through the endless commercials AND Sanjaya.

All American Girl

They should have it where you only call if you want the person off the show. I guess that would show how meny people really are viewing the show and there numbers would be down. Oh well! Its boring this year. Actually Sanjaya adds a little flavor to the show.

MeNoTroll

What the HELL is he thinking, trying to blame daylight savings time for a joke of a show!?
I've been watching since day 1, of the first season. This season, by FAR, IS THE WORST! There isn't anyone standing out BUT Sanjaya and he makes me sick! He acts like he wants to be Michael Jackson. Well, at LEAST Michael can sing--well, he used to be able to sing. If the producer wants a suggestion, he should look no further. There should be no more than one vote allowed per household/telephone number. That way people couldn't vote to keep Sanjaya on, unless they like him. I don't even vote anymore. I DVR the show--skim through it and then erase. PLUS...I would have to maybe agree with those that say this show is a fake/fixed. Some of the ones who SHOULD HAVE WON, came in 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th, in the past. The last few that have won--have they sold MORE than those that were booted off before them?? Check the numbers--you will be surprised. I will continue to DVR the show to see if I miss anything, but it will be doubtful. Until this Sanjaya crap is over with, I doubt I will ever watch it live again. It's boring, boring, BORING!

sharon

In case anyone of any importance, like the A.I. producers, reads this blog, I'm going on record as saying that I am one of those who has STOPPED WATCHING!!!

Maddy

Go back to the way the show used to be???? It's been controlled from the start. It's all about the money. The show doesn't make them superstars. It gives them a jump start and the rest is up to them. Those of you who are bemoaing the loss of "better" singers...if they have talent, they will get a recording contract or a movie or a gig on Broadway. They will need to work their butts off, but it's better than the career they had before Idol. Despite Sanjaya. Really.