Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

Terri

I honestly didn't think Simon was rolling his eyes about the horrible acts of violence. I also don't believe he did it b/c of what Paula had said. I think he was rolling his eyes, believing that Chris was saying what he said to get pity votes. They had been bantering. I think it worked for Chris. Especially after Simon did his eye thing. Again, not in disrespect, but thinking Chris was the one using the situation to his benefit.

Dena

if you watched that part of the show last night then you know for a fact his rolling eyes were not to what chris was saying at the moment but what he had said about his singing. i don't believe the producers of this show would have put simon on blast like that if he had been rolling his eyes about the va tech comment, but that wasn't the case anyway!! i love simon he is always truthful about singing and sometimes the truth hurts!

ali

Chris is a native of va and could not be there to support his friends so I did not see nothing wrong with him sending his sympathy to all. It was not to get votes. People here in va knows someone or has friends that attend va tech. As for Simon I really dont think he would ever roll his eyes toward the families of the tragedy I really dont think he was listening to Chris at that time.

david edwards

simon shouldn't be a judge he has no respect needs to replace him

Paul

after seeing the footage of him in africa playing with those kids do you really think hes heartless and rolling eyes at what happened at tech? if he was such a bad guy i dont think he would be doing what hes doing with africa and the inner city here in america. if you watch last nights results show you can tell he was talking to paula and rolling his eyes at the comments about nasaly singing. . he admits when hes wrong he just doesnt say "im wrong" he'll do it in his english snobby way but thats just him. why dont we talk about the other arrogant,untalented,hair obsessed,tight shirt wearing sob....hes gone hes gone hes finally gone!!!!!

charles

You people are idiots that think Simon rolled his eyes at the comment...As far as a public appology this is rediculous. If anything if he feels like he should, he should state that the mishap was do to poor timing on the tevelision crew.

Lin

Simon is a good person. He tells it like it is. He has what it takes to be a judge on American Idol. He did explain everything on Television, which I thought he shoudn't have had to do. Everyone makes something out of nothing! This is the kind of crap Rosie does. Lay off of Simon! I think he is awsome!

LADY JAE

SIMON IS JUST A GOOD PERSON HE JUST DONT PULL ANY PUNCHES HE IS REAL

pat

I'll tell ya what went down... Simon always has beef with singers dedicating their songs to their dying Grandmothers, new born puppy dogs, babies etc. He thought Chris was making an ass of himself by milking the tradgedy to get votes... was he? No. Or maybe, who knows? But that's what the eye roll was for.

karind

Simon clarified his 'eye-rolling', which wasn't all that obvious anyway. You could tell he really wasn't listening to Chris's comments because he was talking to Paula. I don't know why ppl pick out things like that and zero in on them. He may seem hypercritical of the contestants @ times, though I usually agree with him, but he IS not insensitive.

Jody

Come anyone with a brain would have to know that Simon would never in a million years do something so heartless. He's tough but he has to be. Lets all use our brains here and really think what kind of a heartless person would you have to be to do something like that. He has shown all of us that down deep he is a softy. Look at everything he is doing for the children of Africa. Come on people, for anyone to even think for a moment that Simon would roll his eyes at Chris for sending his prayers to the people from Virginia Tech is just sad!!! Simon I'm sorry that you even had to listen to that stuff.

Mavis

Simon is good. Everyone tries to make something out of nothing anymore that's what's wrong with this world every who caught that eye roll new he was talking about the nasely thing to Paula wake up if your going to captrue the news get it right OK. MP

LADY JAE

I DONT THINK SIMON WOULD HAVE ROLLED HIS EYE AT SOMETHING AS SERIOUS AS THE VIOLENCE AT VT

JJ

I don't have time to read everyone's comments here so my apologies if this is redundant, but my immediate reaction was that Simon was rolling his eyes to indicate disdain for a contestant mentioning the tragedy, perhaps using the tragedy to endear himself to folks for something other than singing talent (especially on the heels of the immediately preceeding negative comments back and forth). Simon was not rolling his eyes at the tragedy itself. There is no way for him to adequately explain this without appearing callous about the tradegy itself and so hence, the assertion that it was a reaction to Chris saying the nasal sound was an intended and legitimate technique. Let us all move on.

Jeff

Cattle Dog girl get a life . Idol showed a clip and turned the mics up so you could hear what was going on. He was talking to Paula and didnt hear what was said. He would never disrespect anyone about this tragedy. Only people he so calls disrespects are the horrible singers and has every right to.