Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

mandiegirl1983

I think this is crazy! IF you watch the video you can CLEARLY see he DID NOT roll his eyes at the V.T victims! He was rolling his eyes at the way Chris SANG!..y'all need to watch the video before thinking that he actually be THAT cold hearted and say something like that..he may be a real ass when it comes to some of those idiots who CAN NOT sing but he wouldn't roll his eyes at a tragedy like that!

Rach

What is wrong with America? You can't do or say anything without someone taking it out of context. Rach

phil

I saw the eye roll and was not sure until the show Wednesday night if it was about Chris's singing or about the VT condolences. The show last night clearly shows that he was in a conversation with Paula and every one should just let it go. If they had not mentioned the eye roll last night it would have raged out of control and they would have lost a lot of viewers.

JanLee

I'm sure Simon wasn't rolling his eyes about the tragedy, but he shouldn't be rolling his eyes for any reason. I think he is the biggest jerk. I absolutely refuse to watch Idol anymore because I hate how the three beast make fun of people. We try to teach our children not to make fun of people and not to bully anyone. But on national T.V. three famous celebrities are guilty of making fun of and bullying people. It's a terrible example for the young people of this nation to see. When Simon made fun of that young man's face earlier in the season I so wanted to see someone come out of the audience and smash his face in.

He is a crude, cruel individual and Randy and Paula have gotten almost as bad as Simon.

They all three need to be sent to some kind of class that teaches you to be sensitive to other peoples' feeling.

YupIzMe

If any of you had taken the time to watch last night's AI, you would have seen what actually happened, and WHY Simon rolled his eyes. It had absolutely nothing to do with Chris mentioning his condolences to the VT families. Before y'all go off on Simon, watch, learn and retain the proper information. No one, especially as high profile as person as Simon Cowell would show lack of remorse for such a tragedy.

Right now I'm just extremely pleased and happy that Sanjaya got the boot. It should have happened a LONG time ago.

Simon Fan

Simon was truly apologetic (last night's episode 4/18/7) about his "apparent" response to Chris's comment about the VT tragedy. I agree that it looked absolutely dispciable, but Simon is not heartless. The judges do discuss other things after each performance, and I think he was honestly trying to make sense of Chris's purposeful imitation of the nasally sounding Rascall Flatts singer. These performances are not supposed to be Karaoke remakes, but have originality. The performers are supposed to put their own little twists in. And so far this year I have not seen a whole lot of that at all...what was everyone thinking when they voted Daughtry out? His version of Johnny Cash's "I walk the Line" gave me goosebumps...what a way to attract kids' interest to founding artists!

One thing the general public seems not to like about Simon is that he is brutally honest. He is the mirror opposite of Paula (Randy rides in the middle), and this show needs that. There are singers out there who can't cut it, and being blunt may not soften the blow to their egos any, but it can make it clear that they will not cut it on AI.

Give Simon a break everyone. He really is a GOOD guy ( He just plays a bad guy on TV).

Edward

Arlene

Although Chris was sincere about his thoughts concerning the Virginia shooting victims,
he was inappropriate to say anything about it at that time. American Idol already took the time out to express their condolences. It was time to listen to what the judges had to say. He seemed completely unprepared to hear the truth, therefore he changed the subject to draw the attention away from himself. It does not take a great deal of intelligence to see that Simon was not expressing his opinion with the "rolling" of his
eyes, about the victims.
Personally, I believe that Chris' performance was poor. He is NOT the next American
Idol.

KiKi

Now that everyone has seen the replay and can actually hear that Simon was commenting on the nasal singing, doesn't Simon deserve an apology for being perceived as a rude, arrogant etc. While Simon will rip the singers hearts out when they are terrible I do not think he would make a mockery of such a tragedy.
Also I think people are missing the point when it comes to A.I. as a whole, if you can't sing, you can't sing, it is the contestant's choice to go before the A.I. judges and should expect honest criticism. If you can't take the heart stay out of the kitchen. BY THE WAY MOST OF THE TIME SIMON IS ON POINT WHEN IT COMES TO THE SINGERS CAN'T SING.

jenn

I agree totally with #335 Arlene. I was beginning to worry I was watching the wrong AI.

beetle

Chris should not have mentioned the VT situation at that particular moment and in watching replays of the situation, Ryan made an effort to stop him when he, Ryan, realized what he was saying. Does anyone else agree with that??? If Simon really "rolled his eyes" it was because he didn't think Chris should be running off at that moment.

Julie Atl Ga

Simon DID NOT do anything wrong. Look at the real problems of the world and don't look for things that aren't there. V T you have all my prayers and thoughts. I am so proud of all the young people at V T (GO HOKIES).

I love Simon, at least he is truthful and not phoney.

Thank Goodness Sanjaya is GONE!!!!!!

JORDIN SHOULD WIN IDOL.

Julie Atl Ga

REPLYING TO #334 (EDWARD) You must not watch Idol, if you did last night you could see how WRONG YOU ARE. But people like you look for the worst.

At least Simon is truthful, not like you.

GO HOKIES! (GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU)

Drama Continues!

334. It is CLEAR that Simon rolled his eyes when Chris mentioned the families, victims etc. NOT about the nasally singing. That was long passed. He rolled his eyes RIGHT when he said that about the families. The timing couldn't have been more precise. Knowing how Simon is PLUS he wasn't happy with Chris at that moment, I wouldn't put it past him. It's obvious!

Posted at 5:07PM on Apr 19th 2007 by Edward

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DID YOU WATCH IDOL LAST NIGHT? SIMON DID NOT ROLL HIS EYES TO WHAT CHRIS WAS SAYING! IT WAS EXPLAINED IN GREAT DETAIL AS TO WHAT ACTUALLY WENT ON......

al camp

And I quote Simon, "It's been a tricky week for you guys. But It's OK."
What sensitivity.
What senserity.
How compassionate.

32 people killed and he calls it a tricky week.