Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

Previous 15 Comments | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

chelseatc

I think Simon and Randy are the only real judges...when Simon rolled his eyes, it was clear he had been looking at, if not talking to, Paula. Paula should be dumped in favor of someone with an opinion of her own. Simon, many times, has been the only one to tell it like it is, Harsh? Parhaps. These contestants do not, and should not, need hand-holding. Not at this stage of the game. regardless of whether Chris wanted a sympathy vote or not or Simon actiion was a reaction to either comment from Chris, Chris is the worst, well-l-l, won't mention Sanjaya, and needs to go

chelseatc

TMZ luver

I think that contestant was more disgusting than the eye roll. He was playing up his sympathy to make up for his lack of talent. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of someone using something so tragic to milk votes. If you ask me that should be more of an issue than Simon's response.

your mom

IMO, Chris took advantage of the situation and was trying to get pity votes! American Idol already mentioned the VT massacre in the beginning of the show! Why didn't he just wear a black ribbon to show support. I rolled my eyes too when Chris said that! Low, dude, low.

sweetbayag

well, america deserves what happened @ virginia tech. they are the guilty ones in this event! not simon. i guess it onloy shows how naive americans are when reactions are given that are not sympathetic to them. ciao!! we englanders rule!!

Stinkerbell

With all the good programs on TV I don't understand why ppl watch this kinda crap.

compson

as you can clearly see here, this is not the first time he has done this...http://tinyurl.com/27fdng

LISA

simon u are a man of integrity the only thing that would or could have made the night for you vote of sympathy wise in the feeding IDOL GIVES BACK

was if u had cried & gotten very fuzzy iot may be against your very british nature but u were awesome............

DONT CHANGE A HAIR!!!!!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24