Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

DENISE

After watching the past couple weeks and reading what Simon and Ryan are doing not only for our KIDS here in the U.S...but the KIDS in Africa.....How can anyone think he doesnt have feelings towards what is happening.........Simon.....You are loved by alot of people and I for one did not think you were showing any kind of disrespect last night......You yourself spoke up about the tragedy that happened.......and sent out your heart felt condolenses to the friends and families......

Your Great Simon.......Keep up the good work..........Here and all around the world

Christine

If you watch AI, Simon is ALWAYS chatting up with Paula about who knows what and I believe what he's saying is true. Even Simon isn't heartless enough to not understand the loss of a human life. The media needs to stop making stupid crap like this up, it's ridiculous. It puts a bad stamp on Simon and it's not what we should be focusing on at this time. When Chris was talking about how nasally was a form of singing and he did it on purpose I rolled my eyes too!! That's a lame excuse for sounding CRAPPY. I did like Chris but after his nasally voice rant, I'm not so sure. Singing nasally might be a form of singing, but it's a form of singing that sounds awful.

TRY BEING KIND

SIMON IS A STAND-UP KIND OF GUY. HE DID NOT ROLL HIS EYES REGARDING THE STATEMENT ABOUT THE SHOOTINGS AT VT. HE IS TOTALLY HONEST, WHETHER OR NOT HIS COMMENTS ARE WHAT ANYONE WANTS TO HEAR, BE SURE, WHAT YOU ARE HEARING IS THE TRUTH. I DO BELIEVE THAT HE ROLLED HIS EYES ABOUT THE NASAL SOUND. BE GRATEFUL FOR TOTAL HONESTY, NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE THAT QUALITY.

Katie

I honestly don't think Simon meant it--He is sorry. Everyone is going to have their own opinions about Simon, but I don't think he's a bad guy...I believe that he tells people the blunt honest truth in his opinion, people just get mad because they don't always agree with him or because he's "mean" but...his critique of the singers is supposed to help them improve. and most of all....PRIOR to the comment Chris made...if you were paying attention to the TV...SIMON was the FIRST person to offer condolences to the VT Families...so why would he roll his eyes when Chris did the same thing? I believe he rolled his eyes about Chris' previous comment...not about VT...Think about it...why would Simon do that if he made the same comment earlier? He's not heartless like some people make him out to be...relax. I know it's a sad and painful time for people...but you can't lash out at people because you take something the wrong way and because you're upset...I have friends at VT and I go to a University not far from there so I'm greatly affected...but you don't see me jumping down Simon's throat...

He's Boring now

America will not forgive this one Simon. No matter what you explain you were really doing or reacting to, you yourself said "i wasnt listening"..your timing was bloody awful, you knew the kid was from VA, AI said that night their hearts went out to VT...than you are gabbing with Paula during the VA kids segment? That alone is disrespectful, so much for AI heartfelt thoughts last night, while youre' playing footsy with Abdul...

Terrible Timing on a Terrible Night for a show that has finally exposed itself for what it really is this year.

You and Lithgoe should return to England and go join up with the Royal Sailors who practically handed over your Country to Iran. You're both a couple of traitors and losers and America is figuring it out.

Tired Of Idiots

Simon was obviously responding to Chris's stupid statement about sounding "nasally" on purpose...who does that? It was just bad timing to show him while Chris switched to the VT students. Certainly everyone feels horrible for those poor kids. As a side note, Sanjaya should feel quilty for encouraging the public to vote for him. He's turned an interesting show into a joke! Rock on Simon, people love to hate you, but you're the only one who really tells it like it is!

Noble

Simon knew just what he was doing with his little tapping and eye roll, but then what would one expect from a stuck up, snubby, pompus ass piece of Brit crap like him. He should join Don Imus in the Land of make believe and leave the rest of us alone!!

Gloadrial

In the wake of the VA tech tragedy, people's emotions are clearly raw and on edge, which is understandable. The Media doesn't help when they create these kinds of firestorms. Chris chose an inappropriate time to make his comments about VA Tech. He had just finished a performance that the judges did not like and was arguing with them, calling nasally a style of singing. Then he threw in the comment about the tragedy. Giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming his comments were 100 percent sincere and not a ploy for votes after a bad performance, Chris still should have noted the timing.

Simon was reacting to Chris' attitude, his nasally comments, and perhaps even his bad timing. I don't believe for a minute he was rolling his eyes at the horrible incident at VA Tech. I do feel Simon should apologize, though. Even though I don't believe he meant any disrespect, he surely doesn't want to give even the slightest impression that he is dismissive over such a tragedy. People can apologize even when they're not fully wrong. You use an apology for a salve over hurt feelings and to show that you care that you either directly or indirectly hurt someone. Chris R owes an apology as well. He could have told the producers he would like a minute to say something about what had happened in his hometown. Tagging it after a bunch of snarky comments to the judges was lumping the VA Tech incident in with something as trivial as Idol and I'm sure he didn't mean that either. They should both take responsibility, step up, give sincere apologies and keep the media from making even more of this than they already have.

Louise

I didn't catch the eye roll from Simon, because I was watching Ryan who was attempting to tell Chris to quit while he was ahead in arguing w/ Simon. Then Chris quickly went from defending his singing style to the VT trajedy. I was like what the ...? My husband said did you see that? He said Simon rolled his eyes. I said no he didn't. You got to love Tivo. Yes, Simon did, but it was based on Chris's response to his nose singing - not the trajedy. I think Chris could have had a more appropriate timing for voicing his shot out to VT. I realize he is from VA, but Ryan started the show with the show's sentiments about the VT trajedy. Chris did not need to add anything more to it. I think people should use their energy praying for the people impacted by the trajedy, not this silly liberal "pc" stuff. It's a TV show/singing competition for pete's sake.

angie SUX

It was SO apparant that Simon WAS indeed rolling his eyes at Chris. If you watch the video that is on here Paula is LOOKING AT CHRIS not Simon. No conversation going on here people. Simon is an arrogant SOB and totally full of himself.

legal

Oh, brother. Give Simon a break. He is fed up with horrible contenstants during this season anyway. Oh, you may be suggesting to send him for "rehab" treatment after his rolled eyes. It's quite in fashion now. I have no doubt he did not mean to disrespect anyone. The situation at the university is too grim to be doing that.

kfargy

I also think Simon was just rolling his eyes because he thought Chris was just trying to drum up sympathy votes, or 'nice guy' votes... NOT the VT tragedy itself. He's not that heartless!!

beauticontrol_2006

This is ridiculous. Chris sings through his nose. He did NOT do justice the the tenor voice you hear coming from Rascal Flatts beloved lead singer. And Simon did NOT roll his eyes at the VT comment Chris made.

However, I think Chris DID try and play sympathy voting by reminding people of his roots and he has friends at VT.

In the beginning I was a fan of Chris. I'm sick of the way he sings, and while looks wise he would be a good choice, I wish he, much like Sanjaya, would simply go back to their hometowns and give it a rest.

My heart and prayers go out to the families affected by this tragedy. I pray they find peace and closure soon.

As for Simon, lay off...he's human. Or maybe everyone seems to have forgotten they are human, as well...

Judy in Alabama

Enough already about thinking Simon was insensitive about VT. That's pure rubbish. Anyone with a heart is affected by the tragedy at that campus. What bothered ME about the show last night was Ryan Seacrest thinking he was the star of the show and trying his best to incite a riot with Simon. He needs to remember he's the EMCEE of the show - not one of the judges. I liked Ryan in the beginning, but he is really getting too big for his britches. He seems to enjoy insulting Simon and that's just rude and wrong. Nigel needs to take Ryan in the office, close the door, and explain to him what his function on the show truly is - and it's not STAR.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

Obviously, A.I. is covering Simon's ass by their posting on their website. If he was responding to Chris's nasily rendition only, why would Nigel have to "DEFEND" Simon?
HE KNOWS WHAT HE SAID.
One lies and the other one swears to it.