Alec Baldwin's

Threatening Message to Daughter

4/22/2007 4:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

An enraged Alec Baldwin unleashed a volcanic tirade of threats and insults on his 11-year-old daughter, Ireland, calling her a "thoughtless little pig," and bashing her mother Kim Basinger -- and TMZ has obtained the whole thing unfiltered and raw. And we've learned, a family law judge was so alarmed after hearing the tape, she has temporarily barred Baldwin from having any contact with his child.

Alec Baldwin Daughter Phone Message
After Ireland failed to answer her father's scheduled morning phone call from New York on April 11, Alec went berserk on her voice mail, saying "Once again, I have made an ass of myself trying to get to a phone," adding, "you have insulted me for the last time."

Switching his train of thought, Baldwin then exercised his incredible parenting skills and took a shot at his ex-wife, declaring, "I don't give a damn that you're 12-years-old or 11-years-old, or a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn't care about what you do." The irate Baldwin went on to say, "You've made me feel like s**t" and threatened to "straighten your ass out."

"This crap you pull on me with this goddamn phone situation that you would never dream of doing to your mother," screamed Baldwin, "and you do it to me constantly over and over again."

Before hanging up, Baldwin warned the child, "You better be ready Friday the 20th to meet with me." That's tomorrow.

We've learned that on Wednesday, Los Angeles County Superior Court commissioner Maren Nelson heard the tape and temporarily suspended Baldwin's visitation rights. A hearing is set for May 4, where the judge could permanently deny Baldwin visitation or contact with Ireland.

Calls to Basinger's attorneys, celebrity lawyers Neal Hersh and Judy Bogen, were not returned.

Baldwin's lawyer, Vicki Greene, told TMZ, "Whatever happened yesterday was sealed and confidential. What you're telling me you've got you shouldn't have."

UPDATE: Basinger's publicist, Annette Wolfe, told TMZ: "The voicemail speaks for itself."

UPDATE: A friend of Alec Baldwin's just contacted TMZ to say that the actor called Ireland last week and apologized for his outburst. The friend added that Ireland is the most important thing in the world to Alec and that he is frustrated because over the last six years, Kim has "tried everything" to alienate Ireland from him.

UPDATE: Alec Baldwin's spokesperson released the following statement to the TV show "EXTRA": "In the best interest of the child, Alec will do what the mother is pathologically incapable of doing ... keeping his mouth shut and obeying the court order. The mother and her lawyer leaked this sealed material in violation of a court order. Although Alec acknowledges that he should have used different language in parenting his child, everyone who knows him privately knows what he has been put through for the past six years."

Adam

I'm 21, my parents are divorced, and had a father who was brutal at some times. but nevertheless Mr. Baldwins comments don't offend me to the least bit. It's incredible that the media can go to such extremes as to headline this. My father one-upped that and cursed me left and right. hell, it would have been great to have been called a pig. We still have a good relationship and it was the necessary steps to raising a child. I will admit that it was rather harsh, but this shouldn't deem him to not have visitation rights over his kids. this is just as ridiculous coverage as Anna Nichols baby. Let the man father his kid the way he feels necisary. he's a gem compared to his little brother

Angelica

I think that Alec has crossed the line. I know that he is angry with his daughter for not taking his call, but he has to realize that whatever is going on between him and his wife should not be taken out on an 11 year old or 12 year old child. Also, there is no excuse for the names that he called his daughter. He had no right to belittle her like that. If she accidentally forgot that he was calling, or overslept, or just decided not to take the call, that is her choice. She should never be talked to that way by anyone, let alone her own father. I don't care how mad he is or was. That is emotional abuse, and should not be tolerated at all. If I was the judge in this custody case, and the law would allow it, I would permanently revoke his visitation until his daughter decided that she wanted to see him again.

kbw

My younger sister was married to a man who's rage was out of control. He never hit her, but whenever he felt justified he unleashed a threatening tirade. He did this to a lot of people, co-workers and family alike. It could be simply that he didn't like your tone of voice that day that would set him off. By the time he'd finished his rant, he had reduced you to a puddle on the floor. Listening to Alec Baldwin reminded me of Scott! You can excuse it all you want, bottom line is calling a little girl an "indecent rude pig " and essentially threatening her is beyond justification. My EX brother- in -law went to anger management classes to no avail. He still believes that nothing is his fault and if those around him would just show him respect(toe the line), there would be no problem. Mr.Baldwin apologized, but still found an excuse for, and voiced his reasons for, his attack on his daughter. He will not change and Kim Basinger is doing the right thing in protecting Ireland. My ex brother-in-law has remarried and is now terrorizing his present wife. His two kids(with my sister) both require long term counselling to get over their fears.

Tim

Alec did a great job considering the situation he is in. I expected something far worse. I have two teenage daughters who have been given every opportunity that a child could ask for and in return all I ask is that they communicate appropriately. As it is, they continually forget their phones, forget to check in and expect me to be everywhere they haven't told me about. It is extremely frustrating.
How dare he not have the right to express how he really feels. It is exactly how we instruct our children to act. Would people rather he beat her or let her away with showing such little respect for the parents that enable her to reach her potential?

Anne F.

Shame Shame Shame on Kim for teaching her daughter that no matter what the court says, you can always do what the hell you want. She was ordered by a court to keep this a private matter, she took it upon herself to creat this "oh poor me, oh my poor daughter" bit in hope of achieving exactly what she did, publicity in a very nasty divorce.

Please don't misunderstand, I think it was wrong of Baldwin to vent his frustrations on his daughter.

However, we are all guilty of venting frustrations on the wrong person at the wrong time. I can see his side of the story, he is tired of the lies, manipulation and the never ending run around that he gets from is ex.

I can only hope that he has taken the steps to reassure his daughter that it was not her that he was/is truly upset with. He is upset with the situation and with Kim.

For those who believe his visitation rights should be suspended, all I can say is.........

Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house!

K

Obviously Alec is wrong,but as many have said,it is not so unusual for parents to blow up at a child and the media should be ashamed playing it up. Kim B should be charged for her violation of the sealed material. Regardless, think she is at least asdisgusting as he for releasing this stuff to the public. Obviousless she cares more about her fight with her x than about her own daughter. This is a sign of what crap he must have had to up with put in the relationship. His was an act of rage on the spot, hers was premeditated - she had time to think and still released this against the interest of her daughter.

Kamerly

I am amazed that because Ireland doesn't answer the phone everyone thinks it is because Kim has alienated her from her father and not the fact that he explodes like a raving lunatic? I can only speak from my own experience, I fought like hell to protect my children from their father. I was successful in getting supervised visits because of the fact he threatened to kill me then himself. The judge saw for himself my ex's temper as he displayed quite openly in court. My ex put up the "facade" of wanting to see his children because of his "image" yet whenever he was suppose to see the kids he wouldn't. My son was 9 and refused to get on the phone with his dad if he called. He did that because he was angry at his father not because of anything I said because I never said anything negative about their dad to them. Its wasn't about them, to bad their dad to them would be like bad mouthing them because they are a part of him. Fortunately, both sides of court appointed therapists saw this and everyone who came into contact with my ex, on both sides, referred him to counciling.

Children come to their own conclusions, they figure stuff out. If Kim is bad mouthing Alec to Ireland, then shame on her but the only person I heard bad mouthing anyone was Alec. He was the one bad mouthing his child and her mother. Kim has said from day one that he is abusive if she didn't fight so hard to protect her daughter then we would be posting messages about what a crappy parent she is for allowing her daughter to be exposed to such abuse.

Tommy Lee

Hi I'm from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada I think people should not judge about Alex's temper, we all have that, good and bad temper and if we go through what Alex had been went through in the last 6 years, we might do or say something even worse. In this case, whoever leaks the tape to the media should go to HELL because it hurts no one but the child and this person did it on purpose. SHAME ON YOU.

Alex, I'm on your side and wish you well and you have my supports 100%

Tommy Lee from Canada

Scarlet D.

Sadly, this volatile situation will affect Ireland more than her parents. Shame on both of them for putting her in the middle! I am sorry you have been estranged from your daugter, Alec - I know what it's like to be pushed to the edge, but you are the parent and your concern should be first and foremost for your daughter. You should have the maturity to hold your temper in check and seek professional help if you cannot. If you really love your daughter you will run to the nearest professional to find out what is the best thing you can do for her right now...and you will do it! Divorce sucks for everyone, but it is the most painful for children. I cannot imagine how this feels for Ireland to have this voice mail blasted all over the world. I can't imagine how it feels to have her friends hear her father call her a pig. She must be devastated...and ashamed.
Alec, you and her mother will get over this mess, move on, fall in love again and trust love. But, Ireland will have long time issues regarding this divorce and with trust. If her mother indeed allowed this tape to be published, how can she ever trust her again? And, how can she trust a father who is not able to control his temper, who uses inappropriate language, calls names and threatens her? Get help, Alec...if not for you, then do it for Ireland.
Scarlet

fed-up with negativity

Why was my posted comment deleted. I posted last night april 24, at about 7:36 pm. Waiting for a response from TMZ.com

Margaret Butler

Come on Alec, nobody told you that fatherhood was going to be a 'bed of roses' - but give your child a break, man - are you seriously trying to break her heart??? She is obviously in a tough spot - living most of the time with her mom - knowing far too much about all that's gone on between the two of you - but she's the INNOCENT party in all of this - she doesn't deserve to have to listen to an out-of-control tirade from you, just because she wasn't available to receive your precious 'phone call! ... Lighten up! - Put yourself in her shoes for once in your life and try to look at this whole mess through her young eyes - no child deserves this. Up until now, I have been standing behind you with my support - my heart went out to you that your ex-wife seemed to be alienating you from your daughter, but anyone, with not a huge amount of common sense, would realize that you are going about this whole situation IN THE WRONG WAY!

Chrissy

I can't believe some of these comments!

To those who are not concerned by the language and threatening behavior that Alec Baldwin uses toward his daughter..... If you're a parent, RUN, don't walk to a qualified professional to seek parenting training. This kind of behavior has NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING to do with disciplining a child. If indeed Ireland even did anything wrong, discipline is about TEACHING, not about shaming, name-calling and cutting down. This kind of abusive behavior is what breeds hatred, self-loathing, meanness and violence in our society. If people are brought up with this, they often see it as normal, but it is NOT normal.

Also, when Alec Baldwin goes on and on about how he has once again been made an 'ass of' by his daughter, he is showing an unmistakable sign (besides the obvious lack of self-control he's showing by ranting to his daughter) of an unhealthy self-image. If an adult has healthy self esteem, the way their child, a spouse, a co-worker, a neighbor treats them, does not DEFINE their self-esteem. ESPECIALLY their child, and even more significantly, especially their teen-aged child. If indeed Ireland was rebelling against her father (there's really no evidence here that she is), and is treating him in a negative way, if he has a healthy self-esteem, her attitude toward him should not rock his sense of who HE is. He is basically telling her that she is responsible for making him feel good about himself...that he needs to be coddled in order to feel important in her life. That's ridiculous! He's the parent, not her.

Finally, people who say that the family deserves their privacy scare me. Are you saying that people should be allowed to abuse their children behind closed doors. I disagree and so do the laws. The child has rights to be treated in a healthy way, both physically and mentally. If the parents 'privacy' is protected, then they do not need to account for their behavior and the child effectively loses their rights.

I just don't understand what some people are thinking.

Jasen

What I don't like is that he resorts to name calling. That he should apologize for. However, if this guy loves his daughter (and he must if he's made this much effort to call all the time and to fight for years for her custody) then he probably just flipped out (which all humas do sometimes) because of all the game playing that Kim has done with their daughter.

As for him saying he was going to straighten her out, he was probably just going to ball her out. He never threatened bodily injury.

You who think disciplining kids is bad are directly responsible for all the kids out there murdering (like shooting sprees), beating up and killing homeless people, kids beating other kids into a pulp on schoolbuses (like you see on YouTube), and all the vulgar and asshole behavior that has become the norm for a large percentage of younger people nowadays.

All animals in the animal kingdom raise there young until they are mature enough to do it on their own. Only foolish humans have tinkered with this formula and now just look at your splendid results. There is a huge difference between beating a kid to a pulp because you had a bad day at work (child abuse) and disciplining a kid that will NOT listen to normal advice from a parent. Wake up folks or pretty soon these kids without conscience or discipline will be running you (and our businesses and govt.) and you will cry alone at night wondering what went wrong.

PS- Some kids don't need to be spanked or yelled at, but those that will not respond to advice and reason will only respect strength. Just ask ANYONE who's ever stood up to a school bully. The bully will lose interest even if the bully wins the fight. It's all Darwin my friends.

Chrissy

my grandson's father has put him in harms way many times...yet he still has rights.

How sad for your Grandson. I hope he is not in the car when his father has been drinking and is driving. They could be in an accident and be injured, someone else could be injured or killed of worst of all your Grandson could be killed. Even if your Grandson escapes injury, he may grow up to be confused as to why no one protected him from someone who was not qualified to parent him. He can still have a relationship with his father, even if his father does not have parenting rights.

I think children grow into healthier adults when they are taught as children that they are important enough to be raised with care. Parents can't always do everything they want to give their children a good start, but they can show their children that they're CAREFULLY WORKING to make the best decisions that they can in their child's best interest. AND I'm NOT talking about nice clothes, cool video games and the latest tennis shoes... I'm talking about a quality education, opportunities to take music lessons, the best possible decisions about who they are taken care of during the day, etc. I'm talking about holding the line and saying 'No' when appropriate, when it would be easier to say 'Yes'. Those appropriate actions signal to a child that they are important and as such they hold THEMSELVES to a higher standard because they view themselves as worthwhile people in the world. When a child knows that these decisions are made with great care, they feel that they should take great care in making decisions about their own lives, also. I'm sure your daughter means well in wanting to preserve the relationship between her son and his father, but maybe they can have appropriate friendly calls and visits with your Grandson knowing that his father needs to be in a better place before being able to fully parent him.

Havaheart

These two "babies" should grow up! I can totally understand why Alec lost his cool. It happens in every long, drawn out divorce/settlement. What kind of mother doesn't make sure her child answers the phonecall from her father when he's far away? She's the custodial parent. What is she teaching her child about repect? Obviously, not much. I was in the same situation and got screwed financially in court 20 years ago. He had plenty of money, but it was all hidden. My child was NEVER used as a pawn for me to get even. That's why my daughter never needed a psychiatrist. Every child has the right to love both parents equally! Maybe Kim is a spoiled brat when things don't go her way. The only way she can strike out to get even is thru her daughter. Grow up, Kim. It's time. Put your daughter before your own anger. The damage will be irreversible. Alex, you are forgiven for being human and I am sure your daughter will understand all when she is a bit older. She needs her father too!

Kim is the culprit here, without a doubt. I am sure she has screamed, and yelled at her daughter too..Kids DO try our patience. There's no such thing as the perfect parent.

Previous 15 Comments | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments