"Lost" Diary -- The Brig

5/3/2007 11:56 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

So I try and avoid promos and commercials as best I can, but they always find a way to creep in. This week, some people posted on TMZ about a confrontation between Locke and Sawyer. With Locke's dad looming on the island, I have to assume that this could be the week we learn that Locke's dad is the original Sawyer (the man who conned Sawyer's parents, driving his dad to kill his mom, then himself). If that's the case, tonight's episode could be off the charts.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way.

This week it's a special East Coast edition of the Diary. I am back in Queens, N.Y. for the week, so I am not with the usual crew. Instead, I am watching with just one other person; my mom. If she says anything about Sawyer along the same lines as Lauren usually does, it would be uncomfortable. Let's roll:
Lost
10:00 -- The "previously on 'Lost'" goes through Locke's history, so I imagine this will be the night we find out what he's been up to since we last saw him.

10:01 -- We're flashing back to eight days ago. I love when "Lost" does an "on island" flashback.

10:02 -- Normally during "Lost," I have no problem typing while a scene is going on. When Locke and Henry Gale are involved, I barely even breathe, much less type. What did Locke's dad mean when he said, "Don't you know where we are?"

10:03 -- "Would you like to come with us?" -- Henry Gale. Can I come too? Is it weird that I want to be Anakin Skywalker to Henry Gale's Chancellor Palpatine? Actually, don't answer that.

10:04 -- We cut back to Kate and Sawyer spooning. Would have thought Kate would have been the little spoon. Oh well.

10:05 -- I bet Lauren even finds Sawyer taking a piss to be sexy.

10:08 -- So Locke has Henry Gale tied up in the forest -- would have thought it was his dad. Actually, I still think it is. I just figure Locke would have had a tough time explaining that one to Sawyer.

10:09 -- "We've been waiting for you." -- Cindy. That rates pretty high on the creepy scale.

10:10 -- So as a gesture that he is ready to be a true Other, Henry Gale wants Locke to kill his father. And why should this take any convincing? I would think Locke would jump at the chance. Oh right, he's not a killer. We shall see.

10:12 -- My mom is actually taunting me with Charlie's presence. She's a loyal reader and more than aware of how much I hate him, but she doesn't have to rub it in.

10:13 -- So Desmond and the crew are keeping parachute lady hidden in a tent on the beach. My mom recognizes her as the chick from "Vegas." Good catch, mom.

10:14 -- Locke is bringing up Sawyer's parents. I feel my prediction is on its way to coming true. I am downright giddy.

10:16 -- Sawyer says he won't kill anyone, Locke says he'll change his mind. Prediction time: since it's pretty obvious Locke has his dad tied up somewhere and not Henry Gale, do you think Sawyer will kill Locke's dad? I go with yes.

10:19 -- Let's welcome Sayid back to the show. All together now, "Hi, Sayid."

10:20 -- Parachute lady is named Naomi. Good to know. Other than that, I don't know what to make of her whole story.

10:23 -- "It's time." -- Henry Gale. Well you just know something cool is about to happen when Henry Gale says that.

10:24 -- "The hesitation that you're feeling is just the part of you that still feels like he has a perfectly good explanation for stealing your kidney, throwing you out of an eight story window." -- Henry Gale. I bow at the feet of Henry Gale.

10:25 -- Locke's dad doesn't think that Locke can kill him. He can't do it, we all know he can't do it. Why doesn't Henry Gale know it?

10:26 -- Man, the Others sure enjoy gathering to watch a man get stabbed on a pillar.

10:27 -- "I'm sorry, he's not who we thought he was." -- Henry Gale. Reminds me of the scene in "The Matrix" before we found out Neo was the one. I guess that makes Henry Gale our Morpheus.

10:28 -- "It's an old slaving shape, mid 19th-century." -- Locke. Is there anything he doesn't know?

10:29 -- Yup, Locke's dad is the one tied up. Things should really start to get interesting.

10:33 -- OK, seriously, Naomi's "satellite phone" is really just the iPhone. I didn't check the credits closely, did Steve Jobs produce this episode?

10:34 -- If Locke weren't harboring a couple of hostages, I would hope that he would have asked Rousseau what she wanted with all that dynamite. I am pretty sure a crazy French woman should never be given a whole crate of explosives.

10:35 -- So Alpert gave Sawyer's file to Locke so that he could figure out Sawyer's connection to his dad. Great move.

10:37 -- "If there were any bullets in that gun, why would you hold a knife to my throat?" -- Locke. That right there is what makes him John Locke.

10:38 -- So, apparently, the Others staged a car accident so they could get Locke's dad onto the island -- or at least that's how it sounded. Interesting note: Locke's dad referred to Locke as his "dead son." This probably confirms Naomi's story about Oceanic Flight 815 being "found" and everyone aboard being "dead."

10:40 -- "If this isn't hell, friend, then where are we?" -- Locke's dad.

10:41 -- "A con man goes by many names, friend. I've been Alan Seward, Anthony Cooper, Ted Maclaren, Tom Sawyer ..." -- Locke's dad. God this is getting good.

10:42 -- "Sawyer's my name too." -- Sawyer. Just a great scene all around. Very possibly the best scene not involving Locke or Henry Gale this season.

10:45 -- "Don't tell me what I can't do, John." -- Henry Gale. Locke's favorite line, thrown back at him.

10:46 -- "Unless you're carrying your father's body on your back, don't bother." -- Henry Gale.

10:47 -- Wait a sec, you're telling me Sawyer still has that letter on him? Come on.

10:50 -- "You wanna go to hell?" -- Sawyer. Great line to say as you're strangling a guy with a chain.

10:51 -- "Thank you." -- Locke. So Locke didn't actually kill his dad, but he might as well have. Not sure how this makes him feel any better about it.

10:54 -- "Anything you can say to me, you can say in front of her." -- Jack. What a tool. My mom had a better description: "A**hole."

10:56 -- "We should tell her." -- Juliet. Well, I guess that confirms that Jack is working with Juliet somehow. But tell her what exactly? Something is up here. They are definitely double-crossing Henry Gale somehow.

10:57 -- Locke is giving Sawyer Henry Gale's tape recorder so he can go back and warn the camp that the Others are coming soon. Seems like Juliet and Jack might be on verge of warning them anyway.

10:58 -- "I'm on my own journey now." -- Locke.

10:59 -- Remember when Henry Gale said, "Unless you're carrying your father's body on your back, don't bother"? Guess Locke is taking that literally.

I can often judge an episode by how many quotes I write down. I am a huge fan of dialog -- Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet being the masters. When Locke and Henry Gale are prominent in an episode, I know I am going to get some great scenes. You can just tell the writers of the show love writing for those two characters.

I am giving this episode a B+. I really enjoyed seeing how Locke had spent his time with the Others. The performances and writing were top notch and there were at least three scenes that had me holding my breath. No startling revelations (we all saw the Sawyer/Locke's dad thing coming) and no killer ending is what kept it from getting an A.

A couple of leftover, random thoughts before I finish. What did Henry Gale mean when he kept saying that Locke was the one that brought his dad to the island? Will the island take revenge on Sawyer for killing someone? A meeting with the black smoke monster, perhaps?

Before I get to this week's question, I owe you guys my answer to last week's. "The Wire" is my favorite show on television and is probably the best show of all-time. If you don't watch it, and if you trust me on the matters of television at all, you'll rent season one when you have a chance. Nothing else compares.

On to our question for this week: As a fan of shows like "The Shield," I have no problem when good guys do bad things. Locke's dad was a shitty guy who ruined Sawyer's life. I am perfectly okay with Sawyer killing him. Are you? See you next week.

smcbroom

I thoroughly enjoyed the Sawyer-Sawyer scene, and was glad that Sawyer killed him...especially, after he was being so smug while reading that letter, and then actually tore the letter up! I wanted to kill him myself!

I don't know about anyone else, but when Juliette kept saying "Maybe we should tell her," this was after Kate blabbed about Naomi and the phone...is this something they need to tell have something to do with Naomi??? Or the phone, since Jack seemed to be focused so much on the phone??? Also, did everyone catch Ben saying that the Others would be going to the Losties camp in 3 days to grab the pregnant women?

I was glad Ben brought up the "magic box" again...I hadn't forgotten about that! But, the magic box is "metaphoric" instead of "literal," so do you bring your demons with you to the island? Could be why Jack kept seeing his dad running around before, or Echo his brother. Next week we should get some more answers on how Dharma came to be on the island! YAY!!!!

Jeff

Great episode of Lost!

Daniel, good call on "The Wire". It is quite possibly the best show in the history of TV. Nothing is even close to how good "The Wire" is!

snoop

Is Naomi one of the OTHERS?

Was Lockes father suppose to say the plane was found with no survivors?

Locke said the Others will come to camp to take only THREE pregnant woman, we know of possible two~ Sun, Kate? and whom???

Favorite line of the show when Sawyer saw Locke and said now that you have returned after you blewup every means to get off the island..

Will Ben bring Lockes father back to life to show Locke the islands healing power?

I love how the show makes you hate a member one week then the next they redeem that person... Now its Kates turn...

GloriaXYZ

OH PLEASE..........dont let them kill SAWER.......I love
that guy.
Holloway did an excellent job last night.

GloriaXYZ

THANK YOU. I have wondered and wondered about that one ! !

LJ

eye yi yi. great ep last night.
i think when locke says that he can't kill his dad, i think he means that actually isn't able to kill anyone-remember how patchy came back to life-so he needed sawyer to do the dirty deed. i don't think that sawyer should have killed him because he's going to have a hard time living with himself from now on.
i also ran next weeks previews on slo-mo (three times actually) they sure crammed a lot of images into one preview.
can't wait 'til next wednesday!

JMS

Jack has no back story and is boring? Come on! Jack told a woman that she that she was permanently paralyzed and yet she walked again and became his wife. Does he have unknown healing capacaties? Are those abilities from his father (who may still be alive and on the island)? He lived among the Others for many days, no doubt learning about them and their activities. And he is living in a nebulous world now, with unknown loyalties and plans. Hardly a boring character. I think there's much about Jack that will prove to be pivotal to the show. Just my opinion.

meli

OK i think that Locks dad is still alive and that when Lock catches up with the Others that he will be "alive" again because of "what this island can do"-ben. and also beacuse all Saywer did was make him pass out right??? i give this ep. a C only because i need more of an ending but over all a good one! and i do think that Locks dad had that coming to him! good for saywer!

Bob Smith

I love all the catholic referances. Locke carring his dad like Jesus carried the cross, Locke being the "chosen one" and last weeks referances. Is it me or didn't Lockes dad say something about not reaiseng and stupid "sons"...plural. I think Locke and Sawyer are brothers. I also don't believe that the island is hell. People are in hell for an eterity...people have died on the island and also buried alive. I also think that the helicopter crashed in the ocean because the island has some sort of EMP protecting it or some sort of shield. Why else would planes crash (Oceanic and Mr ecko's brothers) and boats ( the ship we saw his week and Desmonds). My question is WHERE IS WALT AND MICHAEL????????? sipping maragrittas with Jimmy Buffett I hope. My understanding is that an EMP would shut down any electrical devices ie. engines and also not allow any compass to point north. this would explain why Desmond couldn't sail off the island. Finally did anyone catch these two things... 1- two weeks ago when Clair's implanted device allow Juilette to "save " her she said to Jack that there was a medical kit back near the cages where Jack was being kept and she could get it and save her. she leaves to get it but doesn't go to the cages but somewhere else and was followed by Sieed and Sawyer. Will that info get back to Jack to prove Juilette is a spy or are they working together. and 2- I thought that the sub blowing up was the only way on and off the island...and that all communication was lost with the ouside world when the guy with the eye patches house blew up. If that was true how did Ben get word to the outside world that he wanted Lockes dad and how did he get to the island or was Lockes dad on the helicopter with Niomi and when the guy with the patch came running out of the jungle was her really looking of his delivery of Lockes dad.

jfar

Pretty good episode! I feel like the story line is moving faster now.

Questions .... Russeau???? Walking in and talking to Locke like they were old buddies??? What is "Black Rock?" WTF!!!!

Did u notice one of the "others" was the woman that Jack identified in an earlier episode as being one of the flight attendance on 815? He yelled at her when he was in the cage and she was passing by saying "they were observing." Jack blew up at her and yelled "go observe somewhere else". She seemed perplexed by his reaction.

My hunch is Jack and Juliet are up to something against Ben. Ben has to know that they would try to do something against him. C'mon!

did any of you catch that Juliet asked Kate if anyone had SEEN the helicopter crash? Makes you wonder what is REAL, and what is Smokie????

Boy if I'm any of the women on this island I'd make sure my partner got a vasectomy! Good thing there are a few doc's on the island. HA!

I like Sawyer and Kate being together ... she should write Jack off! Sawyer and her are better together!

also ...Sawyer's dad is going to "come back to life." .... cuz Locke didn't "deal with his situation."

LOST ROCKS

What's up with Mr. Cooper saying something about his "boys"? Is Henry Gale his son also and that is why he wanted Locke to kill him?

GloriaXYZ

SORRY..........here's what I wondered about..
SOMEONE on here said...'WHY ARE THE OTHERS SO NOMADIC ?"

I wonder about that one all the time.

ALSO...............WHAT IS LOCKE's JOURNEY .
He says he has his own journey now.

Three pregnant women?
I think KATE will be one.............
How about the parachutist NAOMI ??
No probably not.
Has CLAIRE BEEN Sleeping with CHARLIE ??

Maybe there is another LOSTIE in the background group who we haven't
'met " who is with child. ??

_____________________________________________________________

Brattybratt

I thought last night's episode was at least a 9! I was on the edge of my seat during the whole Locke/Sawyer scenes! Finally an episode that delivered the goods! I agree that the show should have had a stronger cliffhanger, however, the previews for next week were intriguing, maybe you should watch them, they can be considered cliffhangers in my opinion....
Luv Ya!

snoop

5 people are suppose to die oops sorry..... Charlie said his contract was not renewed, but he had a great run on this show....

WHY did Jack have a big number 5 tattooed to his arm???

I thought this show was an A

Why so many Daddy issues on this show???

Where is Jack and Claires Fathers body??? It was never found!!!

Was his death just a ploy to get Jack to go to Australia and on that plane????

Amtastic

Great episode! As far as who is/could be pregnant on the island--what about Juliette??? Didn't we see her post-nookie in her flashback???